DVDVR Message Board

MASS EFFECT: ANDROMEDA (Here be Spoilers)

RIPPA

7 hours ago, jstout said:

I played one more game after you left last night, Robert, to get one more disappointment pack.

Don't know why I bother - 2 useless guns, two useless consumables and an ammo pack. 

At least I got a useless character from that last one.  It broke up the monotony.

My APEX rating is over 21K now and I have gotten to the point where buying Basic Packs do nothing for me now.  All of my Common characters are XX now and my Common weapons and mods are all Xs. 

At least I got Sniper Rifle Mastery Gold just before hitting the sack and getting in that graveyard shift nap.  Melraz is still ahead of me in Challenge Rating.

My first Disappointment Pack was not disappointing as I got an N7 Eagle. 

The second one was closer to form.  In response to me owning a Zalkin X, the game gave me a Zalkin I (Bulwark) that I will probably never fire.

Still no Carnifax.

All I wanted was to put this game behind me, so I buy Cuphead and I'm all like "fuck Andromeda," right? But Cuphead is a "reflex" game and is absolutely harder than hell and completely frustrating. After about five minutes, I have to stop for fear of trying to fling my controller through the TV.

So I go back to Andromeda. Gold strike team, Remnant. Half my team sucks, but we should have it. Until ... Wave 3, devices. The remnant are camping out at the fourth device. When I tried to get it, I'd be knocked off by a breacher despite being invisible. When my teammates tried, they died. So we failed.

I nearly grabbed my headset and said "none of you people move, us four are finishing this." It reminded me of rapidly pressing the "restart" button when you stupidly fail a GTA Online mission. I wanted blood.

So I pulled out all the stops - three revives, RPGs and ammo packs. We got upload in the third, and wound up extracting. I love that "oh hell no" feeling I get sometimes when I fail. It's like taking the gloves off.

I had the worst teammates ever today.  Fiend was camping a device and no one even remotely attempted to cover me or draw agro.  I burned two revives before I figured out that these numbskulls had no clue when it came to squad tactics. 

After I went down the second time and let myself bleed out, the Mission Failure came up and these assholes had the nerve to sound surprised.

Do these fuckers even look at the timer during Challenge Waves?

11 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I had the worst teammates ever today.  Fiend was camping a device and no one even remotely attempted to cover me or draw agro.  I burned two revives before I figured out that these numbskulls had no clue when it came to squad tactics. 

After I went down the second time and let myself bleed out, the Mission Failure came up and these assholes had the nerve to sound surprised.

Do these fuckers even look at the timer during Challenge Waves?

I think we must've run into the same three dipshits.  I intentionally let a device run out today on wave six in very similar circumstances, except I think the problem was an Ascendant.

I'm not sure if I'm playing with asshole purists that want to slug through the match without using any consumables or they simply had no Cobras to fire.

I try not to give people the benefit of the doubt and not blame things on evil that I can blame on stupidity or negligence.

12 minutes ago, jstout said:

I always forget cobras can kill several little things, and aren't just for the big boys.

In Gold matches, the purpose of Cobras for me is to clear out the ash and trash to buy me a few seconds to complete an objective or buy a few seconds before Extraction when some dumbass squad member camps the LZ and bring all the enemies in to assault the rendezvous point.

Cobras are still invaluable on bosses in Gold or Silver as they can one shot the turrets on a Destroyer, take out an Ascendant Orb, or set up a Fiend or a Hydra for Fire Combos.

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

I'm not sure if I'm playing with asshole purists that want to slug through the match without using any consumables or they simply had no Cobras to fire.

I try not to give people the benefit of the doubt and not blame things on evil that I can blame on stupidity or negligence.

In my case, I was dealing with three clowns that weren't leaving the back corner of the Zero map, no matter what happened.  They finally started heading over to the device about five seconds before the timer expired.  Fuck em, if they're gonna play that way.

I once used a cobra on a pair of wraiths.  On a bronze.  It was actually necessary, since I was trying to deal with a device, and didn't have time to kill em before the timer expired.  Another case of dipshit teammates.

1 hour ago, Robert C said:

I once used a cobra on a pair of wraiths.  On a bronze.  It was actually necessary, since I was trying to deal with a device, and didn't have time to kill em before the timer expired.  Another case of dipshit teammates.

I have done this many times.  Getting shot does not impede disarmament but getting hit by a melee attack does, so Wraiths, Raging Berserkers, and Breechers are your worst nightmares on Device challenge waves. 

The worst thing that can happen is to get slugged by an enemy melee attacker when you only have five or six seconds left to spare on a Device Disarm clock.

I realize I'm playing with fire here, but I just had the best time playing a few games with some rare random who talked on the game chat.

I can't help it. I dunno if it's some kind of leftover effect from GTA Online, but if I hear someone in the Andromeda MP game chat coming through my TV (and it's very rare), I have to hear what they're saying, so I dive for the headphones.

This kid was an absolute blast. Maybe 18-20, wasn't an obnoxious kid at all. I knew it was gonna be entertaining because his username was something like "discoverTHC" or something like that, so he was probably baked. Plus, he was basically talking to no one in particular for about 5 waves before I started talking. He kept telling us about his bronze weapon mods (the ones you buy with mission funds) and in what situations he prefers to use bulwark vs. siphon weapons, etc. Total play-by-play.

Anyhoo, I start talking and he's telling me about how he usually plays platinum, etc. (APEX rating was a hefty 40,000), but he needed gold waves for the dailies. Then the fun begins. He starts giving me advice on where he likes everyone to go on particular maps. I follow him into his favorite place to go on Firebase Zero, and we proceed to get our heads kicked in. After about 2 first aids and 2 revives, I'm saying to myself "uh, I think I'm just gonna go over here," and I left him flat.

He kept basically talking about how good he was, but the thing was, he kept on and kept on getting killed. It was hilarious. I'm basically doing my thing - revive, revive, shank, revive, do the objectives, revive - just all over the place keeping the whole thing going while Captain Platinum is getting killed every 15 seconds.

That said, he seemed like a good little stoner.

• Haha 1

I guess I am going to have to find something else to play.

Fans are complaining about Destiny 2 online so I expect Bungie to pull the plug on the game and not release any DLC

That's how it works now... right?

• Haha 3

You need to come back to Andromeda. The five people worldwide still playing could use some company.

EDIT: Speaking of bad teammates, a quote from today's session (thankfully not on game chat) by me: "OK, guys, I've carried you through six waves, the least you can do is extract."

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, jstout said:

You need to come back to Andromeda. The five people worldwide still playing could use some company.

EDIT: Speaking of bad teammates, a quote from today's session (thankfully not on game chat) by me: "OK, guys, I've carried you through six waves, the least you can do is extract."

I either get lumped with horrible teammates that I have to drag to victory, or I get put into a group of overachievers.

The funny thing about groups of overachievers is that there is always a footrace to be the first person to get to a device or kill a target but when someone goes down, the object seems to be who can be the last person to go make a revive run. 

I make mental notes of who revives whom and I will risk revive runs to go fetch a downed player who tries to rescue squaddies.  The guys who don't bother to rescue teammates, well, I hope you don't run out of defribs before the end of the match.

I still manage to get into the occasional balanced group of players that know what they are doing and play with a little team spirit.  I played a Silver APEX match before coming to work and there was someone playing an Asari Huntress who would shadow the person running devices and pop Stealth Grids to keep them both hidden.  I sent that guy a Friend Request at the end of the match.

I do the same thing when I arrive at a devices or retrieval shortly after someone. That being invisible helps.

I try to make people invisible in hacks, uploads and extractions, but they're usually too busy shooting at everything 20 miles away that dares move, so they don't stay invisible long. Oh well, I tried.

7 minutes ago, jstout said:

I do the same thing when I arrive at a devices or retrieval shortly after someone. That being invisible helps.

I try to make people invisible in hacks, uploads and extractions, but they're usually too busy shooting at everything 20 miles away that dares move, so they don't stay invisible long. Oh well, I tried.

I know how you feel.  When I'm running the Huntress or the Avenger, I try to use Stealth Grids to hide the team on Extraction Waves and cloak everyone through the timer by burning one or two of the gazillion Ammo Packs I ahve, but then they all open fire again and fuck things up.

9 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I guess I am going to have to find something else to play.

Fans are complaining about Destiny 2 online so I expect Bungie to pull the plug on the game and not release any DLC

That's how it works now... right?

There is probably at least five gigs of locked content on your HDD that you installed when you bought the game.  Bungie is going to "release" that DLC no matter what unless they want yet another PR nightmare on their hands.

I "played" just enough yesterday to do the waves daily.  Joined a group that just would not start the damn mission yesterday.  After two of had been ready, then gone back to unready multiple times each, I just left my guy as ready, and went off to do other real life things.  After 5-10 minutes, I finally heard it start from the other room.  Decided "fuck em" and left them to do it on their own.  Came back about 30 minutes later to find that they'd cleared it and the game was beeping like crazy waiting for me to start the next one.

That was way more cathartic than it should've been.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Supposedly they've lowered the score needed to finish the tech challenge daily. I gotta show y'all the tech challenge solo campout spot, it's great.

I'm looking forward to getting 20 in a row of the new character like I did the last new character.

Did the Remnant dungeon APEX, picked the wrong guy, then got a phone call and probably didn't do shit the rest of the game. I looked up, it had started, I looked up, it was over. Glad to help.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1