DVDVR Message Board

MASS EFFECT: ANDROMEDA (Here be Spoilers)

RIPPA

3 hours ago, jstout said:

So, I hop into the middle of a random bunch's game, and it's Wave 4. Everyone is in the back of the starbase map when I spawn in.

I proceed to head that way, stopping for some knife-based chats with the unfriendlies along the way, right?

At the end of the wave, I get a message from the host. I figure it was thanks, or welcome to the game, or whatever.

Nope. "If you're going to play solo in a multiplayer game, go play Minecraft."

I proceeded to stick back with everyone else and just dominated Wave 5. The stars were in alignment.

At the end of that wave, I texted "LOL."

Trust me, junior, I got this shit.

Anybody that gets annoyed at you would he positively apoplectic if they had to play with me or melraz.  Hopefully you didn't heal him when he died in amusing ways.

• Like 3

I am now well versed in the ways of Angaran law and economics.  Went to the Aya vault with the Moshae and finally got the plot point about Meridian, looked on with glee while the Moshae read Evfra the riot act about his bullshit, and I am now on my way to deal with the exiles on Kadara.

I also went back to Eos to storm the Kett base and give the Ascendant commander, Invictus, a dirt nap, so I have officially cleared out all quests on Eos.... for the time being.

I also had to deal with a brief diplomatic situation on the Nexus with the Angaran ambassador and completed one more installment of Keri's interview series.  It looks like Keri and Scott are GTG to get busy as I am getting signals that Keri will keep our thing on the down low and this little rendezvous won't get back to Cora.

I took Kallo's side in the ongoing Tempest debate.  They're both being asshats, but I don't appear to take a negative Codex hit for telling Gil to stop fucking with the instrumentation..  I hate meta decisions.

My side quest queue for Voeld is off the charts.  Hopefully this new e-mail I got from the Angaran Resistance on Ice Planet Zero is the one that sends me to deal with the vault so that I can correct the climate and take care of my other waypoints without freezing to death.

Yes.  I know that I talk about these things as if everyone else was still playing Campaign Mode.

On the MP side, I unlocked the Batarian Scrapper on Saturday.  I really really really hate Batarians, but this guy has a fucking sweet power load-out.  The ability of this character to detonate primers either by Concussive Shot or a simple melee attack is totally broken in a good way.

I detonated a Fire Combo by punching a Turian Anarchist in the face after the Krogan Merc on my squad bathed everyone in range with his Flamethrower.  That will never stop being fun.

My only missing APEX squaddie is the Angaran Exemplar, but I am missing a shit ton of 1.08 weapons and mods.. 

I will probably never unlock that stuff since the Database Demons are too busy gifting me upgrades on my current weapons and mods.

My APEX rating is pushing 10K,  I should be over that hump before the next restock at the Item Store.

I had to retire my Asari Commando strike team.  They pulled a negative trait after failing a Silver mission that had a 94% success rate. 

My new team has the all Turian squad icon, but the lead Turian has the Andromeda Initiative livery (blue and white) on his hardsuit instead of the spiffy black / orange livery of the Turian squad commander of my go-to Turian / Human strike team.

I can't find a reason to retire one of the strike teams.  I have one with two negative traits, and another with a single negative.  All six teams have the exceptional intelligence kit.  A new team with the kit would cost 450 mission funds.  There's no way that would ever turn out to be cost effective.

10 minutes ago, Robert C said:

I can't find a reason to retire one of the strike teams.  I have one with two negative traits, and another with a single negative.  All six teams have the exceptional intelligence kit.  A new team with the kit would cost 450 mission funds.  There's no way that would ever turn out to be cost effective.

I am cheap and don't really invest in the best strike team mods:

• The Turian / Human squad have Black Widows.
  • The Salarian STG team has the Electronic Countermeasure.
  • The Human / Krogan / Asari team has the Exceptional Human Intelligence.
  • My new Turian squad has nada since I just recruited them yesterday.

It is more cost effective to get the lesser pure Effectiveness boosting mods and play the percentages than it is to buy everyone the best mod available.

16 hours ago, jstout said:

So, I hop into the middle of a random bunch's game, and it's Wave 4. Everyone is in the back of the starbase map when I spawn in.

I proceed to head that way, stopping for some knife-based chats with the unfriendlies along the way, right?

At the end of the wave, I get a message from the host. I figure it was thanks, or welcome to the game, or whatever.

Nope. "If you're going to play solo in a multiplayer game, go play Minecraft."

I proceeded to stick back with everyone else and just dominated Wave 5. The stars were in alignment.

At the end of that wave, I texted "LOL."

Trust me, junior, I got this shit.

"Why are my leg muscles so well defined?  FROM DRAGGING ALL OF YOUR SORRY ASSES TO VICTORY~!!!"

41 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

God - I really shouldn't be this irritated by Casey Hudson returning to Bioware now but here we are

The only irritating thing is Hudson being back is a no confidence vote for Aaryn Flynn. 

Casey's been brought back to usher in Anthem, not to rescue Andromeda, IMO.

35 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I wasn't saying he was there to rescue Andromeda

I know.  I am addressing the articles that are implying that Hudson is back to help return ME to form and it is highly probable that with the demise of Bioware Montreal, we're currently playing / already beaten the last game in the franchise.

Casey's there to make sure what happened to Andromeda does not happen to Anthem, at least from the inside of Bioware's wheelhouse.

35 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

In hindsight thought - I am irritated he left in the first place

I am more irritated about Drew Kapyrshyn's departure and return than I am about Casey.

Granted, Drew's storylines put Bioware's SW games and Mass Effect on the map and at the time of his return, SWTOR was the IP that was more in need of his expertise than ME was..

One of the big things I hate about how the diminishing of the player base affects multiplayer is how damn hard it is to find four for a game sometimes. This causes players to take on "project" teammates they wouldn't take on if there was a healthy group of players to pick from.

For example, the one BIG thing that bugs me about this game is people playing outside of their character's level. The game spells it out for you in black and white: Levels 1-9: play bronze; Levels 10-17, play silver; Levels 18-20, play gold. How hard is this shit? I don't really give a flying dammit what a player's APEX rating is, if he's in gold with a Level 11 character, he either needs to pick a character with a higher level (which you know the player possesses), or take the Level 11 character down to silver.

I also got to thinking last night with Melraz about strategy. I'm of the opinion that strategy is mainly useless in bronze-gold, depending on what character you're playing. Just try to not get too separated from each other so nobody has to travel so far to rescue your sorry ass when you die 2000 times and everything's cool.

I have a feeling strategy is everything in platinum, but I'm talking bronze-gold here. Anyhoo, as soon as I got done telling him that strategy is pretty useless, I started telling him to "hang back here with us" on Firebase Zero, the only map that seems to have a clear-cut strategy everyone has hit upon and decided to use. You jam the back and bash forward when they come in. Pure gunners stand back and shoot the copious amount of targets. Easy peasy. 

Which got me thinking about the whole easy way to do uploads and hacks thing. The funny thing about strategy in this game is its usefulness is dependent on who you're playing with. Let's say I'm on the mic with three randoms. Let's say hack comes up and I tell 'em that I'll cloak and get it, just run around killing like in any other wave and stay away from me. What's the chances they're gonna do what I say? "This guy thinks he knows it all, screw him."

• Like 1

5 hours ago, J.T. said:

I know.  I am addressing the articles that are implying that Hudson is back to help return ME to form and it is highly probable that with the demise of Bioware Montreal, we're currently playing / already beaten the last game in the franchise.

Casey's there to make sure what happened to Andromeda does not happen to Anthem, at least from the inside of Bioware's wheelhouse.

Isn't Anthem a little too far along already for that to be the case?

So hey, you fine folks seem like you know Mass Effect stuff so let me ask this question: does the DLC ever go on sale?  I picked up the Trilogy pack a few years back for PS3 and played through the first two games, but since a) ME3 in that comes with no DLC unlike the first two games, and b) the DLC base price is rather pricey, I decided to hold off on playing the third game until I could pick up at least a few bits of its DLC on discount.  

That was 18 or so months ago.  I am stubborn enough to continue this silly staring contest another 18 months if I need to, but just curious if Bioware is a company that just doesn't do sales.

14 hours ago, Eivion said:

Isn't Anthem a little too far along already for that to be the case?

Is it?  We all know that it is highly likely that Aaryn Flynn didn't just step down on his own.  He got his ass canned over the handling of Andromeda and was given the dignified option of backing out gracefully

His is the severed head offered as appeasement to an angry mob that pretty much clues in everyone that Kotaku is right and DLC is not coming down the pike despite EA not committing one way or the other.

Furthermore, If you're a company that brings back the guy that got you the glory in the first place aka a name the Mass Effect faithful know, trust, and almost revere as a demigod, the shit with Anthem's development is far worse than it may appear.

Hudson is there to right the ship and keep the ME customer base engaged with the new IP.  Or at least that's my theory.

I played some Campaign Mode last night. 

Boy, people sure do like to lie to Scott Ryder. 

First, Sokka was all, "Um.. er... I already knew the kett had killed my courier, but the Resistance still needed his cargo so Evfra asked me to pull your punk card and coax you into investigating that shit," and then fucking Liam nearly causes a diplomatic incident by sending Scott to clandestinely scan Angaran goods in the marketplace with the intent of learning the secret of making nutrient paste... all without clueing Scott in on the plan.

Where is the Quick Action RT Moment where I get to punch Liam in the face?

I pushed Peebee and Cora's Loyalty Missions along a peg (Thank God that your Life Support ticker seems to pause during cutscenes and when you have the Remnant Sudoku puzzle HUD up) and concluded the night of Campaign Mode by (chest puffs out with pride) solving the three monolith puzzles on my own and taking a Manual Save inside of the Voeld vault... ...

.....where there is a Level 2 Cold Hazard in effect...... 

.... I am guessing that the first order of business will be to find the Remnant interface console that turns on some heaters.

To date, I have used a grand total of zero Decryption Keys and I haven't used YouTube cheats to solve the puzzles.   That will probably change further into the game.

Cora and Peebee are fun squadmates.  Listening to them argue about who gets to sleep with Scott first was hilarious.

Voeld is very mountainous, so I figure that this will be the planet where I finally knock out the Hang Time and Long Distance rare achievements. 

Most of the YouTubers I've seen chose Eos as their preferred planet for the jet jump achievement dealie, but I've yet to find a spot on Eos that either has enough distance for a successful jump or doesn't teleport me to the top of a cliff after crushing my shield and health bars as I hit the ground.

I'll be returning Voeld to a proper climate and getting myself some more Remnant Data Cores when I get home from work tonight.

Only a few major items to report from last night's MP. 

I unlocked the Combat Mastery (Bronze) emblem after going ape shit with the Batarian Scrapper's Snap Freeze / Concussive Shot power combo, I completed both of the Daily Challenges (Thankfully one of the APEX missions gave me 7 of the 14 waves I needed for Firebase Sandstorm), and I got enough character and weapon upgrades from Disappointment Packs to push my APEX ranking to 9915.

22 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Voeld is very mountainous, so I figure that this will be the planet where I finally knock out the Hang Time and Long Distance rare achievemetns.

Yeah.... you keep thinking that

Told you

Now that being said - I was trying to get it on the moon too and it never registered so I just gave up

EDIT - Okay - I always thought you had to survive the landing so that is a new piece of info

Well, I've already got those mods installed on the Nomad thanks to receiving shit tons of materials from multiplayer and the folks I thawed out of cryo, so when I eventually come across this moon, I'll be ready for hours of frustration and reloaded autosaves while looking for the perfect run.

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 0:02 AM, Robert C said:

Anybody that gets annoyed at you would he positively apoplectic if they had to play with me or melraz.  Hopefully you didn't heal him when he died in amusing ways.

I remember when my No Revive List was the punch line of many jokes.

Now it is an embraced institution.

My enjoyment with your No Revive List was for the people who made it for other reasons

Like you would be yelling at them in party chat and I would be like "You know you can't hear them right?"

And you would be all "HOW DARE HE STEAL A KILL FROM ME!!!!"

God - if we played with melraz on ME3 - he would have been the first person your list

Not reviving and not helping on hacks/uploads are instant no revives from me

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

My enjoyment with your No Revive List was for the people who made it for other reasons

Like you would be yelling at them in party chat and I would be like "You know you can't hear them right?"

And you would be all "HOW DARE HE STEAL A KILL FROM ME!!!!"

God - if we played with melraz on ME3 - he would have been the first person your list

Not reviving and not helping on hacks/uploads are instant no revives from me

Melraz would not make the list because he is in our crew.  If we are the ones that get things dead, its all good.

If you made my list every time you nicked a grab from me, you'd have bled out face first on the Tuchanka soil a long time ago.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, odessasteps said:

The thing I hate most about MP is being thrown into a match midway through meaning I need to play 3 missions to do 14 waves in the daily instead of just two.

If you need the waves, why are you joining matches instead of creating them?