DVDVR Message Board

MASS EFFECT: ANDROMEDA (Here be Spoilers)

RIPPA

Yeah - since I had literally just gotten the Tempest - I went down that rabbit hole and then I was too tired to then start sending out MP invites

I think I might dedicate tonight to MP since I know the weekend will be heavy campaign since my wife will be around

1 hour ago, J.T. said:
  • I have way too much shit to keep track off. Stats, skills, resources.  I am going to have to cheat a bit and research some builds since I was dumb and wanted to be an Infiltrator, so now I have to find a happy medium between Combat Skills and Tech Skills knowing that the game will be stingy with XP and force me to make hard choices.  I also need to make sure I don't waste resources building shit I don't really need although my OCD will say, 'YOU NEED EVERYTHING~!!!"

From my experience so far, the XP/level ups/skill points come pretty fast and furious once you're in the heart of the game, and I don't see that changing too much given the sheer volume of sidequests I'm acquiring.  I spec'd the same way as you (Infiltrator/Scout Sniper type deal), and already I'm pretty diversified across tech and combat.  Also, you'll reach a mechanic in a bit that sort of incentivizes having an array of different skills and proficiencies.

• I take it that the million billion resources and mods I have painstakingly gathered will be of no use to me until I get back to the Hyperion and get my own starship.  I did not miss the bullshit weapon research from ME2 and item crafting can kiss my ass.  Just give me the fucking mods as loot and let me install them in my guns on the fly.

Welcome to t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶u̶c̶k̶ Andromeda!

• I take it that the million billion resources and mods I have painstakingly gathered will be of no use to me until I get back to the Hyperion and get my own starship.  I did not miss the bullshit weapon research from ME2 and item crafting can kiss my ass.  Just give me the fucking mods as loot and let me install them in my guns on the fly

You may not mark out for what i thought you would, then. :(

3 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

You may not mark out for what i thought you would, then. :(

If this is about resources then no, I didn't exactly jump out of my seat when I found that cache of phosphorus.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Yeah - since I had literally just gotten the Tempest - I went down that rabbit hole and then I was too tired to then start sending out MP invites

I think I might dedicate tonight to MP since I know the weekend will be heavy campaign since my wife will be around

I have to edit and post the pod i recorded last night today after lunch, but i should be good to play tonight and tomorrow.

i may need to get a new headset, since i could barely hear Phil on the generic xbone tellemarketer one earpiece thing. 

I've managed to research quite a few weapons, but I can't develop any of them because there's been no omni-gel canisters on either of the worlds I've visited. Although I did thaw out some scientists to give me regular mineral drops, so maybe I'll be making more guns than I can carry soon.

I should have been putting points into Combat Drone. The Engineer profile I unlocked is all about giving me bonuses to Tech Constructs I can't make, because I'm all Fireballs and Lightning Bolts.

4 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

i may need to get a new headset, since i could barely hear Phil on the generic xbone tellemarketer one earpiece thing. 

Well I am still not sure my came with the XBONE headset isn't about to die either

I might pick up a new one on the way home anyway just to be safe

Updated thoughts (now with positivity!):

• This thing still has the beating heart of Mass Effect well in place.  I got on my ship and started meeting squadmates and doing sidequests in the stops along the way for my priority mission and it all feels really right.
  • Sidebar: am I the only one who will always prioritize just about every alien squadmate over your human comrades?  By and large the humans have always been the pits for me, especially the button-up Alliance types, with only Miranda/Jack/Kasumi hanging with the extraterrestrials in my original trilogy power ranking.  I've met humans before, dammit; give me something new and shiny (and scaly and with tentacles).
  • I'm actually really warming to the new combat system.  As others have alluded to, I do miss the charge melee from ME3, but maybe that'll come in with future upgrades.  I've always controlled my squad's powers through the original trilogy (and was frustrated to no end when they could still pop up off defensive skills in ME2), but seeing the fluid engagements of my squad in action without all the Power Wheel "pauses" is really something.  They also seem to do pretty well for themselves overall.
  • Given the more frenetic combat, I'm really digging the move back to ME1's individual power cooldowns.  Good not to have something with a big cooldown period choke off all your other offensive/defensive capabilities for 20+ seconds.
  • When you start off just in the ships and among the bulkheads and whatnot, I was like, boy, this thing could have easily been done last-gen.  But once you're out in the open world and moving effortlessly with your jumppack and the Nomad and everything is so massive and beautifully rendered - yeah, this is some next-level shit.

Also, I was a few beers in after playing for a few hours last night, and I had this wonderful, dopey moment of realization that almost moved me to tears and maybe reoriented me on the whole game.

Basically, I loved the original Milky Way trilogy, and I had to leave that behind in moving to this new Andromeda game, where things are all different and nothing's the way I thought it would be and I thought all this shit would already be set-up and now I have to go and learn all this shit on the fly and... wait... wait...

We are all Pathfinders.

• Like 1

SAM's first joke is supposed to not be funny. But I laughed.

The Jacket/ Scarf combo looks better than the short sleeved look on SisRyder.

1 hour ago, AxB said:

SAM's first joke is supposed to not be funny. But I laughed.

The Jacket/ Scarf combo looks better than the short sleeved look on SisRyder.

I have her in the hoodie. Think its best of four choices I have at the moment. 

I wonder how much trouble i would be in if I were to go to the mancave and turn on the xb1. 

Just got back home, the wife had 8 teeth pulled. Thinkin about doubling her up on the tabs. 

Ive not played much single player. The twin sister is still asleep. Need to make my wife sleep so I can wake my sister up. 

• Like 1

This is gonna be a weird one for me, but now my thoughts on the game now that I'm level 15 and getting kinda far into it.

-Something I never thought I would say, but... At present, this is sitting as my 2nd favorite Mass Effect game behind 2. And that is much much closer then I anticipated. It has plenty of warts, but not only is this still "Mass Effect" it has everything I fell in love with Mass Effect 1 for (The space Exploration, namely), but it's all significantly better this go around, while having the best combat of the series. I got home at 9 yesterday more tired then I could describe. I ended up playing till 3 AM. 

-My character is also at the decently high level club at 14, though unlike most, I'm putting points all over the place. I'm playing a true "Explorder" if you want to think about it that way. I've got Barricade, Turbocharge, Trip Mine, Throw, Annihalation, Backlash, Singularity, Lance, Overload, Incinerate, Tactical Cloak, and Invasion all in my "shit to do" arsenal. I love the "you aren't set in one build" character set up.

-I'm starting to rapidly realize what works in Multiplayer is group tactics for the most part this go around. Just did a Bronze that went absurdly smoothly cause all of us were playing with some form of Biotic and were sticking together, primieing and detonating. 

-This might be my favorite type of tasks in an RPG game in a long time, cause everything actually does have an impact. Who fucking cared if this creepy farmer gothis creepy ram back in DAI? This time I'm rehabiliating entire worlds.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, melraz09 said:

I wonder how much trouble i would be in if I were to go to the mancave and turn on the xb1. 

Just got back home, the wife had 8 teeth pulled. Thinkin about doubling her up on the tabs. 

Ive not played much single player. The twin sister is still asleep. Need to make my wife sleep so I can wake my sister up. 

Careful man.  You don't want to wind up on the wrong end of that Judge.

• Like 1

I think I've done about everything I can on the first planet, at least till the fucking radiation subsides.  Went ahead to the next planet, but the game crashed after about 27 cut scenes, so I figured that was a good sign to go to bed.  This one definitely seems buggier than previous Mass Effects.  

I can already tell I'll enjoy the second time through more than the first.  Right now I have no idea what to do with, or how much I need to conserve, my resources and money.  I figure I'll have a better handle on that the second time through.  

I'm level 10. How do I change my skills loadout? There's things I've put points into that I can't select for use in combat.

27 minutes ago, Robert C said:

I can already tell I'll enjoy the second time through more than the first.  Right now I have no idea what to do with, or how much I need to conserve, my resources and money.  I figure I'll have a better handle on that the second time through.  

Funny - I said this exact thing to myself last night. It is gonna to be so much better on a 2nd playthrough when I am in battles and not trying to remember how to switch weapons.

33 minutes ago, AxB said:

I'm level 10. How do I change my skills loadout? There's things I've put points into that I can't select for use in combat.

IIRC, you're on PS4 too. At the Skills tab, go to the power you want to equip (under Combat or Tech or Biotic) and use Triangle to assign power to one of the three current loadout slots.

This took me a long time to figure out last night after going through Skills and Profiles and everything else.