DVDVR Message Board

MASS EFFECT FRANCHISE CATCH-ALL THREAD

RIPPA

5 minutes ago, J.T. said:

You are weird.  Of all of the memorable characters in the game, you're a mark for Gianna Parasini?

She was the only ballsy enough to go for it with my Male Shep (who wasn't on the crew).

Everyone else was a bunch of shrinking violets.

Which reminds me - I am still pissed that Dr. Chakwas wasn't a romancable character.

Diversity my ass

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Raziel said:

One of these days, I'm really going to try and to a full Renegade run.  I tried it once, but I really find it hard to go full bad guy in games, I really do.  Last time I tried it, I just ended up bringing myself back up to tweener. Except for MGS4.  For whatever reason in that game, I have no issues going full Death Machine when I should be going for non-lethal all the time, it's odd.

If you are going to run a Renegade campaign, go with FemShep.  She has the best dialogue.

24 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

She was the only ballsy enough to go for it with my Male Shep (who wasn't on the crew).

Everyone else was a bunch of shrinking violets.

Which reminds me - I am still pissed that Dr. Chakwas wasn't a romancable character.

Chakwas is like a big sister or mom figure, dude.  That would've been icky.

Now that I think about it, it would've been cool to hook up with Gianna in ME2 while you on Illium if only to annoy the shit out of Miranda since she spends the entire game throwing herself at you while insisting that there is no attraction.

49 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Chakwas is like a big sister or mom figure, dude.  That would've been icky.

Oh get out of here with that. Chakwas should have been DTF with everyone

Now that being said - Tali getting SUPER jealous over Dr Michel being into Garrus is also great too

(And if your FemShep is trying to romance Garrus - Tali is all WATCH OUT SHEP. BITCH TRYING TO STEAL YOUR MAN!)

God I love these games.

I need help

37 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Oh get out of here with that. Chakwas should have been DTF with everyone.

Settle down, Hollywood Shepardnetico.

I'm pretty sure Chakwas is on the low end of the Shepard Romances That The Community Wanted But Did Not Happen spectrum with Kasumi and EDI being close frontrunners.

The idea of Shep's dalliances with nearly every woman in the galaxy makes it hard for me to believe that he couldn't have  Paragon decision charmed Tela Vasir into a face turn in Shadow Broker.  

She got put down as hard as Renegade decision Elnora did.

37 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

God I love these games.

I need help

We all love these games and we all need help.

14 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

May I reiterate how insanely good the companion writing is in these games. 

Also I know and accept why I can't romance Tali as Femshep but as someone who just feels weird playing as Male Shep not romancing Tali still hurts.

At least I got Traynor.

This...I played the trilogy twice as Male Shep, and told myself that I'd romance someone else, but Tali always ended up the alien for me...even though there was an interesting dalliance with Jack.  

I did one playthrough with Liara just because she is one of the few people you can be with all three games.

But yeah - in my official canon, Male Shep is with Tali

My FemShep is with Garrus because my wife demanded it

10 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

May I reiterate how insanely good the companion writing is in these games. 

Yeah, it's hard to believe that Drew Karpyshyn penned 99% ME which was so good and then he got pulled from Andromeda to write for Anthem and that game is nearly devoid of storyline and dialogue.

Difference between a game whose goal was to make you care about the characters and one who doesn't really care, I suppose. Really though, there are next to no games coming out now a days that match that. Like I really enjoyed Spider-Man and the Peter/MJ relationship in that game is pretty fun, but That's not even in the same ballpark.

5 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

Difference between a game whose goal was to make you care about the characters and one who doesn't really care, 

Good writing should shine through either way.  Bioware made a big deal out of announcing Drew's move to the Anthem writing team because they knew that Biogeeks would immediately latch on to the name recognition and expect excellence.

And then they played Anthem and got unpatched ME:Andromeda "My Face Is Tired" levels of silly dialogue.

3 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

Difference between a game whose goal was to make you care about the characters and one who doesn't really care, I suppose. Really though, there are next to no games coming out now a days that match that. Like I really enjoyed Spider-Man and the Peter/MJ relationship in that game is pretty fun, but That's not even in the same ballpark.

Except that's one relationship.  The beauty of Mass Effect is that I cared about all of those characters...OK, maybe not Jacob...but everyone else.  Red Dead Redemption 2 did a good job with character development, but most games don't even come close.  

The thing is I didn't mind the silliness of Andromeda. It's one of the things I like about Ryder, is she isn't some hardened military person, she was an early 20's aspiring Prothean expert who just was training in weaponry because she was in th alliance for her training. She was a nerd who just wanted to explor and find new cool worlds, species, and what not.

Also Andromeda is a gam were I 100% view Ryder as female. Female Ryder is cool character with a cool backstory, Male Ryder is just worse Shepard.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, supremebve said:

Except that's one relationship.  The beauty of Mass Effect is that I cared about all of those characters...OK, maybe not Jacob...but everyone else.  Red Dead Redemption 2 did a good job with character development, but most games don't even come close.  

The only side character or even character that was on the ship in Mass Effects prime 3 games I didn't really like was Ash, which will get me looks from J.T. But Wrex, Tali, Garrus, Mordin, and Legion specifically are writing accomplishments that are unmatched to me in the Video Game industry.

2 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

The thing is I didn't mind the silliness of Andromeda. It's one of the things I like about Ryder, is she isn't some hardened military person, she was an early 20's aspiring Prothean expert who just was training in weaponry because she was in th alliance for her training. She was a nerd who just wanted to explor and find new cool worlds, species, and what not.

Also Andromeda is a gam were I 100% view Ryder as female. Female Ryder is cool character with a cool backstory, Male Ryder is just worse Shepard.

My issue with Andromeda is how little I cared about the side characters.  In the original trilogy, I was always disappointed when I went to chat with a crewmate and they didn't have anything new to say.  I actually enjoyed interacting with the crew, but in Andromeda, it felt like a chore.

Just now, RIPPA said:

I mean I don't like James but I don't dislike him THAT much

That is just mean

James, Kaiden, and Jacob are the same generic person who they decided to make black in 2, and hispanic in 3.  By the time James came around I was tired of having that one  boring ass crewmember.  I don't know how they made the aliens more human than the humans, but that is what they did.

1 hour ago, El Dragon said:

Red Dead says hello