DVDVR Message Board

MASS EFFECT FRANCHISE CATCH-ALL THREAD

RIPPA

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 9:40 AM, RIPPA said:

Honestly - I think that Krogan battle at the Dig Site might be the toughest battle in the entire first game (because a lot of the other ones you can cheese or talk you way out of)

The Krogan Warlord fight on Therum was tough, but I beat him on the first go.

This is the encounter on Therum that gave me fits.

Of course, the reason this fight was so hard for me is because I am stubborn and got angry every time one of my squaddies got kacked by doing something dumb like rushing out of cover at the worst possible time, but rather than burn Medi-Gel and use Unity during the battle, I'd revert to the checkpoint and try again for a flawless run. 

It took me nine do overs to get it right.

I think part of the problem with the Krogan Warlord showdown is that too many people try to turn it into a pure gunfight and forget that they've got skills and abilities.  This rumble isn't nearly as strategic as the topside encounter with the Armature.

I had Ashley and Garrus on my squad and MyShep was an Infiltrator, so Garrus and MyShep punished the Warlord with tech mines (Dampen, Sabotage, Overload) while Ashley and Garrus used Overkill and blasted the crap out of him with Assault Rifles while he cowered and waited for Dampen to time out so that he could use his Biotics again, and he took extra damage from Sabotage every time he tried to fire his shotgun from cover.. 

Cleaning up the Geth after the Warlord dropped was cake after that, but you can't sleep on the Geth Rocket Troopers guarding the exit because they can one shot you.

The other problem with the boss battles on Therum is that everyone tries to find Liara too early in the game.  There are at least four side missions to complete for extra XP and loot before moving on to the main story.

The very first time I did the final dig site battle - I didn't know to have Tali with me so it was a bitch and a half

All subsequent playthroughs were cake because I knew what I was doing

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

The very first time I did the final dig site battle - I didn't know to have Tali with me so it was a bitch and a half

All subsequent playthroughs were cake because I knew what I was doing

The game is a lot easier once you sail over the learning curve.

I always rolled with Ashley and Garrus on Therum and the Warlord fight is dirt simple once you embrace the awesomeness of tech mines.

OH, SO THAT'S WHAT THEY DO~!!!

In two rounds, Garrus can nullify the Warlord's Biotic ability with Dampen and make him burn himself every time his shotgun misfires by using Sabotage. 

Keep the Warlord pinned down when he takes cover and shoot him in the head at your leisure.

Having Tali in that fight would be even easier if she already has AI Hack and can turn the Geth Troopers on each other.

I rolled with Tali and Garrus whenever the Rogue VI mission on the Moon comes up.  Getting your class specialization can't be easier since all of your enemies are drones and Tali can thin the heard by having them fight each other after using her hacking ability...

20 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Honestly - I think that Krogan battle at the Dig Site might be the toughest battle in the entire first game (because a lot of the other ones you can cheese or talk you way out of)

That battle was so horrible for me the first. Then I did a new game plus a year or so later and utterly slaughtered everyone in it. It wasn't really even the advantages of of the new game plus that made it easy so much as I just hadn't gotten used to the general combat and had some different focuses this around.

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 3:48 PM, Death From Above said:

Hardest part of ME1 for me was by far the Berserk AI on the Moon mission. So many missiles. So much sadness.

A tech heavy squad makes that mission almost trivial especially if you've done enough missions to get up Tali's AI Hacking skill up.

It takes longer than normal, but posting up your squad at the entrance of the bases, sneaking in via crouch walk, hacking the drones one at a time via the Quick Menu, and retreating to let the drone fight each other will allow you to clear out the bases without exposing yourself to too much bodily harm.

Biotics are almost worthless in that encounter because the drones are constantly airborne so Lift, Throw, or Pull really has no significant effect on their ability to fight.

So then: Is Andromeda worth buying at full price on day of release (tomorrow UK), or is it worth waiting a couple of months for a price drop?

That's kind of the big question - for me, I was getting tired of GTA and needed something new. I was also ready for a new RPG, so this arrived at the right time.

Can you squeeze a few more months out of your other games or would you like something new?

I'm trophy hunting on GTA5 next-gen story mode. And haven't got a current PS Plus account, so I'm not doing anything online.

I did start Dragon Age Inquisition before the PS4 came, but I can go back to that any time. And there's nothing pressing on my unplayed pile (God of War 2 remastered, God of War 3, Deus Ex Human Revolution, Dead Island... Bioshock trilogy (I hate FPS's) and that's it).

I think it's well worth the $60 full price. I'm enjoying the single-player and the multiplayer's fun. The others with more ME experience may want to chime in (I'd never played any of the ME games before this one), but I really like it. Probably just boils down to whether or not you want a new game right now.

Clearly I am biased so I can't give a proper opinion because obviously my answer would be buy all Mass Effect stuff all the time.

But I will say this - if you played Dragon Age: Inquisition and didn't like it... you can probably wait a bit on Andromeda

I bought it. Had to, really.

It's odd, because when you're on a planet or in combat, everything looks fantastic. It's only when you get back on your ship and the helmets come off that things go bad.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 8:06 PM, El Dragon said:

*blows dust off thread*

So, uh... After about 3 years I finally got the Asari Valkyrie. My list of characters to finally complete my collection on Mass Effect 3 is down to 4: Drell Vanguard, Volus Protector, Asari Huntress, & That fucking N7 Paladin.

Better late than never, I suppose.  I completed my ME3 character set like five years ago.

1 minute ago, J.T. said:

Better late than never, I suppose.  I completed my ME3 character set like five years ago.

Keep in mind I didn't have internet for a year and a half and missed all the immediate releases. I have to go through 60 something gold characters and don't get me started on the guns.

I've actually raised my challenge rating almost 1,000 points in the last couple weeks. It's been the only thing I've played save some small GTA runs. I still think it plays better then Andromeda does multiplayer wise.

The last few days I have turned on my Xbox and I see Dan playing ME3 and I think "God - I should play that. It would make me happy"

But it would require me to hook up my 360 and I am lazy

I donated my 360 to Sarah's House Battered Women's Shelter along with most of my 360 games (the shelter does not accept M-Rated Games because a lot of the kids that stay there are not teens) after my boo gifted me my XB1 last Christmas. 

I was talking more specifically for Multiplayer since I didn't know if that worked with the backwards compatibility

But yeah - I knew 2 and 3 were backwards compatible

But I would miss my saves

I mean, your multiplayer characters and what not carry over, but your save files wouldn't be that. I've thought about replaying the entire game, but it's just such a time investment. But Multiplayer still runs fine. I can't say it's over flowing with people, but most games I join end up being full, which is more then can be said about Andromeda now.

10 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

But I would miss my saves

This is the reason I never bought GTA 5 or ME2 or 3 for the XB1.  The time investment and the shitty ME3 ending would murder me, especially after hate playing Andromeda to a Platinum completion.

I haven't touched Andromeda since running the jewels for the Achievements.

I can't bring myself to play GTA5 again thanks to my 100% Completion Save in Single Player Mode on my former 360 and enduring and completing the Under The Bridge and Knife Flight challenges which were definitely the opposite of fun.

8 hours ago, J.T. said:

I can't bring myself to play GTA5 again thanks to my 100% Completion Save in Single Player Mode on my former 360 and enduring and completing the Under The Bridge and Knife Flight challenges which were definitely the opposite of fun.

I did them all twice no bother. Although wierdly I got the Stunt Jumps trophy for free with my online character, even though I'm missing like six of the fifty online.