DVDVR Message Board

MASS EFFECT FRANCHISE CATCH-ALL THREAD

RIPPA

So, um, something random.

I recently started replaying Mass Effect 1 again, after completing Andromeda a few weeks ago. And I’ve somehow found going back this time a lot easier then previous times, so that’s great.

And it just hit me today I never got to actually play any of the DLC for Mass Effect 1 as I didn’t have internet at the time, and I had problems with the install the last two times I tried. Well it worked today. So.... technically I will be playing some Mass Effect for the first time ever today. Also technically this will be my first real “complete” run.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Robert C said:

So between the explosion at their experimental nuclear power missile facility and now the explosion at their smallpox site, is Russia now officially Cerberus?

If Putin goes in for cyborg eye surgery, joins Hair Club For Men, and begins smoking menthols, it will be time to nuke Moscow.

• Like 1

On 9/17/2019 at 12:34 AM, The Man Known as Dan said:

So, um, something random.

I recently started replaying Mass Effect 1 again, after completing Andromeda a few weeks ago. And I’ve somehow found going back this time a lot easier then previous times, so that’s great.

And it just hit me today I never got to actually play any of the DLC for Mass Effect 1 as I didn’t have internet at the time, and I had problems with the install the last two times I tried. Well it worked today. So.... technically I will be playing some Mass Effect for the first time ever today. Also technically this will be my first real “complete” run.

And now for Bring Down the Sky.

Out of the main “missions” in this game, with this tossed in, here’s how I rank them

1. Ilos/The Citadel

2. Virmire

3. Noveria

4. X-57

5. Eden Prime

6. Feros

7. Therum 

It’s good. It’s a great introduction to the Batarians, Balak is a great counterpoint to Shepard, and yeah. Thumbs up. Not at the Citadel or Shadow Broker DLC level, but it’s good.

• 1 month later...

Been playing my ME 2 run again off and on. Through the recruitment missions, turning to loyalty.

For sake of ranking, my opinions on the recruitment missions, best to worst

1. Garrus. The entire setup of being able to see who you are about to massively piss off and screw with them first is awesome. The Garrus reveal is great, and the mission is fun and challenging (The Blood Pack mission is a fucking bastard)

2. Mordin: Great introduction to recruitment missions, as it’s got a fun story, a great introduction to Mordin as a character, and a challenging last fight with lots of nooks and crannies mixed in.

3. Samara: This probably is higher then anyone else would rank it, but I just kinda love the element of Shepard working with the regular cop, and the more grounded story is pretty fun. Also, I love Samara as a character. Probably my favorite they introduced in ME2, along side Grunt.

4: Thane. Just an awesome mission, even if it’s just one big fight. The element of the Mercs being totally unprepared with how to deal with Thane while you and your team break down everything from the front. 

5. Tali: The planet element is a fun challenge, probably the last time Mass Effect challenged you with an environmental hazard. Kal is awesome. Great introduction to the Dark Matter story they paid off so well in ME3....

6. Grunt: it’s not great shakes, but Okeer is fascinating. I actually like the actual introduction to Grunt better then the actual mission.

7. Jack: I mean, it’s okay? It kinda just felt overly dark and gritty cause it had to be, but I think it’s my least favorite mission overall in the game. 

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

RIP N7 Day

What? No! I’m sure there is some big Mass Effect announcement any minute let’s just check the tweety box.

... Well shit.

The Archangel mission is the best.  Bioware really missed a golden opportunity when they didn't make a DLC or a whole different game where you could play Garrus, assemble your team of mercs, and go around dispensing intergalactic street justice.

End of the game would be Garrus giving fist bumps to Shep during the assault on his base on Omega.  Perfect segue to the rest of ME2.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

I don't remember mission specifics but Jack is one of my favourite characters in that game. Then again I'm the guy that looked at the options and picked Jack as my first ever romance option in the game.

The Garrus reveal rules.

I actually like Jack too, and I love her loyalty mission in the game. It’s not gonna be number one for that (literally everyone knows what number one for that will be), but it probably cracks my top 5. I just think the actual mission introduction for Jack wasn’t awesome.

• 4 weeks later...

So! ME2 is done, and I said I’d do loyalty quest rankings. So here we go.

1. Tali. The mission that earned the Left Trigger the nickname “The Hug Tali Button”. This mission is, IMO, a masterpiece. Sets up a third of Mass Effect 3 masterfully, introduced you to all the major players of the Quarian race, even gives you false flag on who you think is the guy you want to align with in ME3. Also, a legitimate way to fail the mission, as well as a way to pass the mission in the best possible way WITHOUT using your paragon or renegade score. Also, great challenging combat. This mission is possibly the best single mission in the series.

2. Mordin. This mission isn’t quite as effective at setting up the Krogan Genophage cure as the previous one was at setting up the Quarian/Geth war, but it still does a damn fine job. And man, Mordin is such a great character, and this mission is basically what sets everything about him forward. Arguably my favorite individual line of dialogue from Shepard in the series also takes place in this mission: “Look at the dead woman Mordin, it doesn’t look like you saved her.” Such a great cut straight to the point line. Another of the missions I think about when I think of what the series did best.

3. Jack. The Purgatory didn’t work for me, it was basically just “look at how badass Jack is!” and then never seeing her get to use powers like that again. This mission however humanizes Jack in juuuust the right ways. It explains her character perfectly while setting her up to grow more down the line. This is grit done well in a video game, imo.

4. Kasumi. Maybe it’s because I’ve played this one less then the others, but I kinda love the feel of this one, it feels completely different from every other type of mission in the series. Hock is the type of asshole you feel great fucking over too. So yeah, damn good mission.

5. Samara: Being honest ranking from here gets difficult. But luring in Morinth always stood out a lot to me, though that might once more be more about how much I love Samara. The nightclub setting and just doing what you want there is a good time, as well. Also, one of only 2 loyalty missions you don’t fire a shot.

6. Legion. The first real look into the Geth is a damn good one. It offers a legitimately intriguing moral question, and Legion’s dialogue in this mission is awesome

7. Grunt. Is it basic? Yes. Does it involve me killing a Thresher Maw on foot and also head butting a Krogan to get him to shut up? Also yes. Good enough for me.

8. Jacob. It’s a damn good mission, even if I care about Jacobs involvement less then I do others. The horror of what they put there people through is brutal. Even though I always play mostly Paragon, I always end up leaving Captain Taylor to deal with his people himself.

9. Thane. You only technically take a shot in this one in a cut scene, so I’ll count it with Samaras. The interrogation run is fun. The stealth “following your target” run... felt like a missed opportunity? Still good though.

10. Miranda. Both this one and the next one feel like they should be higher, but it’s a tough list to crack. Miranda becoming relatable is fun, it’s got one of my favorite renegade interrupts, it’s a good time. It’s just not... unique, which hurts it. Also, Niket is the most confusing character in the game because of how little his connection with Miranda makes sense to me.

11. Garrus. Like, there’s nothing wrong with this mission, but the Arcangel one completely over shadows it. The Harkin element is kinda cool but doesn’t make it stand out tons. The one thing it does have is the dialogue thing trying to save Sidonis. But this still feels like a step below the rest.

12.  Zaeed. I appreciate them giving you alternating paths. I appreciate a legit chance to not gain his loyalty. But this mission just doesn’t stand out in any real way to me. Pretty big letdown overall.

• 1 month later...

So apparently this has folks all lathered up over the idea that a remaster of the original trilogy is coming.

It does seem like a strange thing for Bioware to randomly tweet in this, the Year of our Lord 2020.

This would probably be a good thing for them, though, in the sense that I'm relatively certain they couldn't screw it up.

It is funny to me that that tweet was the thing that got everyone back on the OMG! THE REMASTERED VERSIONS ARE COMING!!!!

That being said - outside of providing a release date for Dragon Age V or actually saying a new Mass Effect will be here in 2 years - doing the remasters is probably the only thing they could do to start earning goodwill back

2 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

It is funny to me that that tweet was the thing that got everyone back on the OMG! THE REMASTERED VERSIONS ARE COMING!!!!

That being said - outside of providing a release date for Dragon Age V or actually saying a new Mass Effect will be here in 2 years - doing the remasters is probably the only thing they could do to start earning goodwill back

It would earn my goodwill.  I would play the living shit out of a remastered ME1.

Edited by J.T.

41 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Lets be honest - if they have ME3's multiplayer up and running properly, I will never play another video game

We played ME3 multiplayer regularly for about six years straight so yeah, I'd be right with you there sending Cerberus grunts into the next area code with my douchebag Krogan Vanguard build.

It would be the return of Headhunter A and Headhunter B.

D2 could eat a bag of goat dicks at that point.

Edited by J.T.