DVDVR Message Board

MASS EFFECT FRANCHISE CATCH-ALL THREAD

RIPPA

Dude, I was winning in Silver with that Geth Infiltrator builds when you didn't even have a copy of the game.

And your point was that all classes were "useable" and that you were able to lead a scoreboard with just about any class and my point Is that you're not a terribly reliable source of info since you haven't unlocked anything.

Unlock all of the content and put in the time that I did and then we'll talk.

Didn't realize my 180 hours wasn't enough to have a good feel for this game. Sorry, will go back and undo the 8 months with no internet and 3 years with no home internet in a jiffy.

Yes, you played it more then me. No, that doesn't mean your opinion is law. I brought up stats, and could bring up countless youtube videos of how to play every character in the game effectively on gold/platinum if I wanted, but nobody has the time for that shit.

Edited by RIPPA
That white on white thing was irritating me

And I take offense with people that make assertive expert claims without a complete frame of reference.

You haven't unlocked all of the content; I have.  You haven't played for as long as I did. 

All of your math for the assertion that the Geth Infiltrator being the best player in the class comes from other people and those people apparently stopped playing before the Earth DLC, otherwise they'd also be singing the damage dealing praise of the N7 Fury, the Volus Engineer, and the other borderline game breaking classes that are DD machines..

Your baseline metric for success appears to be pure damage and total points. 

What about survivability for when some tank class has to travel across the entire fucking map and revive the damage dealer that cannot take as much punishment as the tank?  I hate the Asari Valkryie with a passion because it cannot efficiently kill anything for squat, but she can run the map almost as well as an Infiltrator when the shit hits the fan.

What good are damage and point score when some asshat damage dealer misses extraction while padding his score and costs the entire team their bonus credits?

3 minutes ago, J.T. said:

And I take offense with people that make assertive expert claims without a complete frame of reference.

You haven't unlocked all of the content; I have.  You haven't played for as long as I did. 

All of your math for the assertion that the Geth Infiltrator being the best player in the class comes from other people and those people apparently stopped playing before the Earth DLC, otherwise they'd also be singing the damage dealing praise of the N7 Fury, the Volus Engineer, and the other borderline game breaking classes that are DD machines..

Your baseline metric for success appears to be pure damage and total points. 

What about survivability for when some tank class has to travel across the entire fucking map and revive the damage dealer that cannot take as much punishment as the tank?  I hate the Asari Valkryie with a passion because it cannot efficiently kill anything for squat, but she can run the map almost as well as an Infiltrator when the shit hits the fan.

What good are damage and point score when some asshat damage dealer misses extraction while padding his score and costs the entire team their bonus credits?

No.1 Hate to break it to you, but the Fury, Volus Eng, and even the Drell & AI Infiltrator, don't have the same damage output as the Geth Infiltrator. On that front, yes, they still hold over the "more recent" DLC (can't be new if it's over 4 years old.) I can still one shot kill just about any non boss with one good shotgun after a Tac Cloak/Prix Mine blast. And that's with onl y a Shotgun Gear Bonus 2. They have tried to nerf the Geth 3 times, it never really stopped him from being almost criminally over powered.

No.2: Well the obvious answer here is "Don't get too far ahead of the team". Not everyone listens to that advice. And, sure, the she question of survivability is very fair. The best character from DPS in the game is the GI, but the best at survivng is also clearly the Krogan Vanguard. The place here that it shifts is how quickly can you take out crowds of enemies quickly. The best way to survive is almost always to make sure what is trying to kill you dies first. The Infiltrators in general are usually the best at that, but the Geth just happens to be the best in that game.

And no, I don't really give that much of a crap about points. I just always was of the mindset that the best way to pass a mission is to kill things as rapidly as possible. That's why I usually try to go with a "travel in pairs" strategy. If something goes wrong, you got backup.

No.1 Hate to break it to you, but the Fury, Volus Eng, and even the Drell & AI Infiltrator, don't have the same damage output as the Geth Infiltrator. On that front, yes, they still hold over the "more recent" DLC (can't be new if it's over 4 years old.) I can still one shot kill just about any non boss with one good shotgun after a Tac Cloak/Prix Mine blast. And that's with onl y a Shotgun Gear Bonus 2. They have tried to nerf the Geth 3 times, it never really stopped him from being almost criminally over powered.

They don't need to have the same damage output as the GI.  All they need to be able to do is put things down quickly and efficiently and they do.

There was no real need to nerf GIs because they are glass cannons.  They have a sick DPS but they are also as fragile as a breadstick, so they're fairly well balanced.

People bitch about GI damage output because they are assholes that assume that every class should be a damage dealer and that's not how RPGs work.. 

These people also incorrectly assume that a high score on the leaderboard is the true metric of how good a class really is in a game scenario where teamwork and getting home alive are the most important things.

In short, the devs at Bioware included medals for solo completion for insular dipshits that have no friends.  Those are the types of players that extol the virtues of DPS the most because success for them does indeed depend on their ability to kill everything on the board on their own and traverse the map relatively unmolested.. 

The GI is the perfect class for these people.

No.2: Well the obvious answer here is "Don't get too far ahead of the team". Not everyone listens to that advice.

I've played quite a bit of ME3 multiplayer and pulled jobs with you in GTA Online, so you understand why this made me laugh a little.

As for the other points of interest, I agree with your assessment.

And no, I don't really give that much of a crap about points.

I have played enough multiplayer with you (co-op and deathmatch) to know that you care about points and leaderboard standings a lot, bro.  Let's not humblebrag.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to win, but win means two different things in co-op vs. adversarial play and being the #1 killer in a party wipe does not make you a winner.  The MVP of a bunch of dead guys is still a dead guy.

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Dan will probably get to the ending of Andromeda before most people have finished installing it. :)

Ha, gonna be much harder to do that this go around. Full time hours, plus a much much larger game.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

It wouldn't be mass effect without Dan and JT fighting over who is prettier 

I mean, I do look awfully sharp in a tux.

3 hours ago, Death From Above said:

Well this thread is already fucked so I'll just chime in and say Andromeda had me worried the moment I saw a jet pack.

Would giving thoughts about this be spoilery? Well, I like the jet pack in single player. Multiplayer, I'm undecided.

I think it has a lot to do with that around the same time I learned there'd be jetpacks in ME: Andromeda, I also watched a trailer for an upcoming game called ELEX (it's by the same dudes that did the Risen series), and it also featured a jetpack as a combat feature, and the video looked really, really bad and repetitive and gimmicky. Like, basically every combat sequence features a Jetpack Dodge the enemy cannot overcome followed by The Big Move.

I wasn't really enthused by what I saw of them in ME: A around the same time. Probably not entirely fair that I'm worried it will wind up the same way in Andromeda, but I do have my worries that adding jetpacks into Mass Effect combat will go less than smoothly and prove to be more of a gimmicky distraction than a cool feature.

Basically I'm stuck in the past and I just want to play Mass Effect 2 only it doesn't end. Never mind me.

I had zero interest in playing or seeing ME:A, and then all of the Lovely Animation found its way onto twitter and now I know I at least want to see more of it.

Also I love their plan of like not talking about the game or showing it and spinning that as a positive ("No, it's not that it's coming in hot, it's just that we want to surprise you all"). You have to imagine they thought they were the very smartest until they learned EA wanted them to put up their early access demo thing and people would end up seeing all their hideous mutants and backwards guns anyways.

1 hour ago, BL88 said:

I had zero interest in playing or seeing ME:A, and then all of the Lovely Animation found its way onto twitter and now I know I at least want to see more of it.

Also I love their plan of like not talking about the game or showing it and spinning that as a positive ("No, it's not that it's coming in hot, it's just that we want to surprise you all"). You have to imagine they thought they were the very smartest until they learned EA wanted them to put up their early access demo thing and people would end up seeing all their hideous mutants and backwards guns anyways.

Boy are you in the wrong part of town.

Everyone knows that I am the prettiest.

3 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I predict Dan wins when Rippa interferes and does a Grab on JT,  choking him out.

If shotguns are involved, I am the odds on favorite.

I'm probably a year or two away from touching Andromeda.

I need to pick back up the original trilogy. I may have to just do a restart on the first game. I'm still stuck here despite (I don't think being horribly underleveled).

5 minutes ago, Chaos said:

I'm probably a year or two away from touching Andromeda.

I need to pick back up the original trilogy. I may have to just do a restart on the first game. I'm still stuck here despite (I don't think being horribly underleveled).

Mass Effect one has the worst combat in the series.  I remember that part being really frustrating, not because it was hard, but because I felt like the game wasn't giving me the tools I needed to get the job done.  The next two have tough parts, but you never feel like you can't win a battle.  

Honestly - I think that Krogan battle at the Dig Site might be the toughest battle in the entire first game (because a lot of the other ones you can cheese or talk you way out of)

The basic strategy is to off the Krogan first and then take out the Geth, but that can be problematic because the vapors coming from the structure are poisonous and can affect you if you take cover for too long.

The key to winning is remembering that this is a role playing game and you and your helpers have abilities so use 'em. 

Tali and Garrus all have tech mines at their disposal that can "debuff" and Ashley and Garrus (and Shep if you're playing a Soldier) should be able to use Overload to enhance damage for Assault Rifles.

Your Dampen tech mine will hamper the Warlord's biotics (also works on tech powers) and the Overload tech mine will disable his weapon and also do damage to him (his shotty will overheat when he fires it) if you have Overload specced high enough.

Soldiers like Ashley also have access to Adrenaline Surge and that will shorten her cooldown so that they can use Overkill more often.  Soldiers also get access to the Immunity skill (damage resistance) if they have leveled up Fitness.  Immunity can improve survivability, but remember that the Krogan Warlord will one shot kill anyone he hits with a charge, so be careful.

Kaiden is a bit of an anomaly.  I personally think his tech powers are a bit more helpful than his biotics in that fight, but his First Aid skill makes him a good choice for a squad mate for the Therum mission.  I put more points into Kaiden's tech skills at the beginning of the game since he's your lock hacker for the very first mission.

If you're a Shep that is a biotic then follow along with what the player is going in the vid:  use powers that will keep the Warlord on the ground and shoot him in the head... a lot...  If you're a pure tech or a tech hybrid, remember your tech mines and if you are a combat heavy like a Solder, Overkill and Adrenaline Surge are your best friends.

Since you're also a Spectre, remember that you can use Unity to revive fallen teammates if it comes to that.

Of course, the best piece of advice that anyone can give you is not to go to Therum right away. 

There should be at least three or four side missions (Assignments) available, so do them first and level up your squaddies.   If your Persuasion is high enough, the Major Kyle assignment is pretty much an opportunity to get free weapon upgrades and earn a few credits from geological surveying.  There is also a Thresher Maw you can kill on that planet for extra XP.

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Honestly - I think that Krogan battle at the Dig Site might be the toughest battle in the entire first game (because a lot of the other ones you can cheese or talk you way out of)

The boss fight on Ferum is rough but doable.  I think most players have trouble with it because they try to get through it only using weapons and that won't get the job done.  They forget that their abilities aren't just for show..

I personally thought that:

Spoiler

the ultimo battle with the Creepers was the toughest since you're constantly being zerg rushed by things that can poison the shit out of you and there is that matter of the Asari clones that constantly harass you with Throw while Creepers are trying to puke on you.