DVDVR Message Board

MASS EFFECT FRANCHISE CATCH-ALL THREAD

RIPPA

Well considering how late the Tali/Legion confrontation takes place - you have to actively be trying to not have a high enough score (in either direction)

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

Well considering how late the Tali/Legion confrontation takes place - you have to actively be trying to not have a high enough score (in either direction)

That's true.  You'd have to avoid talking to anyone to not earn any Renegade or Paragon points and that's not really possible in these games.  Dialogue is such a huge part of the game.

On my second ever playthrough (Renegade Maleshep) he managed to be single throughout ME1, romanced both Jack and Miranda in ME2, and then fell in love with Steve in ME3.

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

Of course the fact that they eliminated the Data Hound achievement infuriated me

I did it for the sake of completion.  I also forgot that Dr. Archer and Daniel, Mordin's assistant, are almost identical twins.

13 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I did it for the sake of completion.  I also forgot that Dr. Archer and Daniel, Mordin's assistant, are almost identical twins.

There are a lot of reused models in the game

The first feral dude who attacks in Jacob's loyalty mission looks EXACTLY like someone else - I am just spacing on who

Shit - I might have to go back a couple of saves to save the crew.

In double checking requirements - apparently its not activating the Galaxy Map, it is getting too close to it.

Since I meandered by going to the elevator and EDI was all USE THE SHUTTLE NEXT MISSION!!! that just talking to Legion to get his loyalty mission counted as a mission and now my whole crew is fucked.

That doesn't seem right but maybe it is...

I would rather redo 15 minutes of gameplay than find out halfway through the suicide mission

I'll be doing Reaper IFF in a bit after I eat dinner.  Then it will be a crap shoot.  

I should be firing up ME3 during the weekend.  I won't get much gaming done on Saturday as I am taking my kid to see Black Widow and then we're grabbing a special meal.  We're pretty much celebrating her HS graduation all summer.

• Like 1

The Collector attach triggers the next time you hit the Galaxy map after the Reaper IFF mission UNLESS you active Legion directly after completing the IFF mission.  Then it will only trigger if you go ANYWHERE other than Legion's Loyality mission.

After the attack, you have a limited number of Missions/Assignments you can do before the crew gets pasted.  Right away saves everyone, 1-3 Missions Goos half the crew, including  Kelly and the Engineers, more than 3 is everyone other than Chikawas.  

To further clarify: Anything that wraps up with the music cue and the Illusive Man summary screen is a Mission/Assignment.  You get up to 3 of those screens after the Collector attack before your entire crew gets pasted.  If you don't see any between Joker and EDI venting the ship to hitting the Omega 4 relay, you're good.

Edited by Raziel

Yeah - that is what I have always thought it was

The problem was IGN's guide is written as follows

Spoiler

To explain the last bullet point, the task of activating Legion is not given its own Mission, and the countdown is checked when you get close to the Galaxy Map ramp. Thus if you do the Reaper IFF Mission with literally no other Missions / Assignments, and then get too close to the Galaxy Map ramp, EDI will say the IFF installation is complete and conclude the countdown, so the next time you use the Galaxy Map you are forced to do Jokers Jump. You'll still have Legion's Loyalty Mission after Jokers Jump, but completing it will effectively kill half of the Normandy's crew.

In order to avoid that, then after completing the Reaper IFF Mission with no other Missions / Assignments, SAVE FIRST, then approach the Elevator by hugging the walls and staying as far away from the Galaxy Map ramp as possible. If you make it to the elevator without EDI saying the IFF installation is complete, you can activate Legion, then talk to them again to acquire their Loyalty Mission.

If done correctly, then when you next approach the Galaxy Map ramp the countdown will see that you have Legion's Loyalty Mission, and will let you complete it before doing Joker's Jump.

This is were I am like "I dont remember humping the fucking wall to get to the elevator but maybe I did...."

And the seed of doubt was planted

Yeah, the guide's wrong, activating Legion after completing the IFF mission stalls the clock for a jump.  I just got EDI's "Take the shuttle" on my way to activate Legion, did his loyality mission no issues, and saved the whole crew.  She starts saying it the second you hit the CIC, so there's no way around it.  So long as you hit the map and it doesn't do the Shuttle scene, you're good.

Edited by Raziel

Just now, J.T. said:

There are people that don't activate Legion immediately after finishing the IFF mission?

I have to believe there are people who shove them out the airlock too

The trigger is actually talking to Legion enough for him to give you the Loyality mission (he doesn't in the first conversation).  That's the trigger that delays the Collector attack for map usage.  

4 minutes ago, Raziel said:

The trigger is actually talking to Legion enough for him to give you the Loyality mission (he doesn't in the first conversation).  That's the trigger that delays the Collector attack for map usage.  

Yeah - again, this is all what I thought and what I had been doing

But it was that one article that had me going "shit - I really don't want to find out 2 hours from now"

That happened to me on my first FemShep playthrough years ago and I was pissed

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

I have to believe there are people who shove them out the airlock too

That got me thinking. How many people don’t grab all the possible followers in BioWare games?  

The only one I don’t is Howe’s kid in Dragon Age Awakenings. I figured his whole deal was gonna be a bunch of moaning till he eventually learned the truth and did some big redemption thing and decided who the hell needs that. 

Just now, Robert C said:

That got me thinking. How many people don’t grab all the possible followers in BioWare games?  

If this was the original ME games then obviously I could see people not having the DLC characters

I mean technically in ME2 you can do it with as few as 5 people (Miranda, Jacob, Jack, Garrus, Mordin)

You have to do the first 4 missions but you don't have to open Grunt's tank.

And then you can do 5 random missions that aren't recruitment (like loyalty missions) to trigger the Collector Ship and then you can jump straight to the Omega 4 relay. (Though I have seen people claim you must have 8 squadmates to get the Collector Ship mission to trigger)

All done with Reaper IFF and Legion's loyalty mission.   Did the old skirt around the CIC thing so that I could get to the lab and process all of the upgrades.   

I've still got Biotic Damage and a Heavy Pistol upgrade left to buy on Tuchanka.  I'll get those before zipping off to Illium to deal with the Shadow Broker.

Going to have to run with Legion during one of the Suicide Mission segments so that I can spend the rest of his skill points.

I'd have played a bit longer but torrential rain and shit.

Edited by J.T.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

See now JT has me paranoid again

I am a dirty completionist.  No one should be following my example. 

I am not a self-flagellator, though.  Insanity runs can go fuck themselves.

As many times as you have played the ME games, you know whether or not you are GTG so go ahead and finish the game.  My ex-wife and my kid are going to visit family this weekend, so we're waiting until next Saturday to go and see Black Widow.  I should be get in some mail slots by Sunday.

Edited by J.T.

It was just you saying that you were basically doing the humping the wall to not go near the Galaxy Map thing (at least that is the way it came across)

I crash landed on the Collector base and then stopped for the evening as there is no way I can get through the rest without destroying my night's sleep

15 hours ago, J.T. said:

Miranda and Tali hetero and AFAIK so is Jack although Jack was developed to initially be pansexual..  I think the only female that FemShep can successfully bring up to her cabin is Kelly Chambers.   Samara is tempted to hook up with FemShep but declines because Ardat-Yakshi.

The first I played I romanced Liara all the way through (mostly because I couldn't romance Jack as FemShep....bastards). I plan to try a different romance whenever I finally get to the Legendary edition. Will probably still stick with FemShep. Is the Kelly romance any good? 

31 minutes ago, Eivion said:

The first I played I romanced Liara all the way through (mostly because I couldn't romance Jack as FemShep....bastards). I plan to try a different romance whenever I finally get to the Legendary edition. Will probably still stick with FemShep. Is the Kelly romance any good? 

The Kelly romance is barely a romance at all. The Samantha romance on the other hand is pretty charming and sweet, if short lived

• Like 1