DVDVR Message Board

MASS EFFECT FRANCHISE CATCH-ALL THREAD

RIPPA

Started Feros again

Do all the chores for the colonists and immediately got hit with the squadmates not following bug

Decided that was a sign to stop playing for the evening

Looking forward to getting back into this.

I ran a FemShep infiltrator back in the day but always thought it would be fun to start from ME2 with a MaleShep Vanguard.

He would be slightly xenophobic, very "humans first", because Cerberus made a few... alterations... in the rebuild.

Then the "Here's what happened in ME1" questions become a fidelity test ala West World.

That moment in the final Rannoch mission where you're not 100% sure you got everything right because if you didn't you don't get the Reputation Check...

Either I must not have revisited the Citadel as much as I should have in the past or I am just old, but I don't remember this cutscene in Udina's office where the asshole chews you out for the Prothean Ruin on Therum being destroyed during your fight to rescue Liara.

I should be done with my Renegade FemShep playthrough within the next few days and can finally start drilling into ME2.

Edited by J.T.

I don't know if it is recency bias but since I just did it... twice... I feel like I remember that scene.

I always immediately go back to the Citadel after "major" planet so I have no idea exactly how it works but I am assuming it doesn't stack so say you went to Therum and then did Feros before going back to the Citadel, you would only get the Feros scene.

Speaking of constant "scenes"

Finished Feros and because I was far enough along - immediately got accosted by Liara and Ashley again

Always amuses me how that plays out

Since Liara always is all "ooooh... I am woozy I need to lie down in Medbay... oh no you don't bitch! PICK ONE OF US SHEPARD!!!!"

Also since I never finished the Citadel DLC as FemShep - I was today years old when I learned that Tali canonically wants to have a threesome with Garrus and FemShep

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Also since I never finished the Citadel DLC as FemShep - I was today years old when I learned that Tali canonically wants to have a threesome with Garrus and FemShep

I'm still annoyed we were robbed of Tali and Jack romance options for Femshep.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Fitting for Bioware since you can engage in a threesome in Jade Empire if you play your cards right. 

It makes sense that Liara and Ashley would make MaleShep choose between them rather than entertain the idea of a threesome.  Ashley's not that much of a prude, but her lingering xenophobia might get away and Liara probably wouldn't be down either since Asari are remarkably dedicated to their current partner despite having multiple partners over the course of their lifetime and Liara probably would not like the idea of having to share MaleShep with another female.

I always though it was a amusing how Ereba just puts Asari relationship philosophy out there when she talks about how she's concerned about getting involved with Charr since Krogan live nearly as long as Asari do. ("It's not like being with a human where you only need to stick it out for a few decades...")

Edited by J.T.

Liara being an alien definitely seems to be Ashley's main issue with it since she even shouts at Liara "BUT YOU ARE NOT EVEN HUMAN!" which Liara handles far better than I would have

It seems more likely that if they were going to tease a more open relationship - it would have had to have waited till ME3 though, ironically, by that point Ashley might be more open to it where Liara clearly now has seem some shit

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

I'm still annoyed we were robbed of Tali and Jack romance options for Femshep.

Given the number of times that Jack has been sexually assaulted by men, I'm genuinely shocked that she wasn't a female romance option for FemShep.   If I were Jack, I would view all males with suspicion and more than a little distrust... and randomly kill one or two with Biotics.

Tali?  I'm surprised she was made a romance option for MaleShep at all, TBH.  All aspects of Quarrian life are geared toward the goal of the survival of the Quarrians and the Migrant Fleet, and that includes sex.

I'd have thought that Tali might've viewed sex with a non-Quarrian as some sort of cultural taboo, but then she goes and bangs either MaleShep (if you pursue it) or slogs one out with Garrus in ME3 since they are both dextro aminos.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

Tali originally wasn't supposed to be a romance option.

They announced that Garrus was going to be one and everyone was all WTF???? about Tali not being included (Especially since Tali and Garrus basically serve the same roll through the games (not in terms of skills mind but their relationship to Shepard))

So they added her as an option - I think the excuse was something along the lines of Bioware not realizing that folks wanted more romance options (especially non-Human ones)

But Bioware always seems surprised at how popular Tali wa since a similar fight was had going into ME3 (where Garrus was always gonna be a squadmate but Tali wasn't)

21 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

They announced that Garrus was going to be one and everyone was all WTF???? about Tali not being included (Especially since Tali and Garrus basically serve the same roll through the games (not in terms of skills mind but their relationship to Shepard))

So they added her as an option - I think the excuse was something along the lines of Bioware not realizing that folks wanted more romance options (especially non-Human ones)

I hate romance options personally because they feel like story obligations.  That and you can never really satisfy the fanbase with the options you offer.  The LGBTQ+ community will always moan about why a certain character isn't an option for same sex relationships and the straight fans will bitch about the opposite.  This is what happens when you let players dictate gameplay to developers.  It never ends well.

There is already a civil war going on in Cyberpunk 2077 over the character of Judy Alvarez to the point where modders have unlocked and altered game files so that male characters can romance her..... despite the devs clearly stated that "Judy likes girls.  We wanted it that way.."

This is why I like how the Saints Row, The Witcher, and GTA games seem to make fun of romance mechanics in other games.

21 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

But Bioware always seems surprised at how popular Tali wa since a similar fight was had going into ME3 (where Garrus was always gonna be a squadmate but Tali wasn't)

Tali is like the adopted kid sister of the squad in ME1 that everyone on the Normandy is all Mama Bear and Papa Wolf protective about.  I am not sure how anyone could not like her.   That's why romancing her in ME2 feels so weird.

It's like coming home from Freshman year of college and finding out that your tomboy homegirl that you grew up having mudball fights with when you were both ten is now all grown up and hot and wearing tiny shorts and wants to know what you're doing on Saturday night.

Edited by J.T.

7 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I hate romance options personally because they feel like story obligations.  That and you can never really satisfy the fanbase with the options you offer.  The LGBTQ+ community will always moan about why a certain character isn't an option for same sex relationships and the straight fans will bitch about the opposite.  This is what happens when you let players dictate gameplay to developers.  It never ends well.

There is already a civil war going on in Cyberpunk 2077 over the character of Judy Alvarez to the point where modders have unlocked and altered game files so that male characters can romance her..... despite the devs clearly stated that "Judy likes girls.  We wanted it that way.."

This is why I like how the Saints Row, The Witcher, and GTA games seem to make fun of romance mechanics in other games.

I'm still bitter you can't bang Keith David in SR4.

My poor, celibate Shepard doesn't have time for romance options.  Maybe in ME2 or ME3.  We'll see.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Me too, though I have done Citadel as FemShep.  I've at least seen the video for the drunken Javik hookup, which is pretty good.

26 minutes ago, Robert C said:

Me too, though I have done Citadel as FemShep.  I've at least seen the video for the drunken Javik hookup, which is pretty good.

On the flip side of this - apparently FemShep date rapes James

Things I'm discovering today: The AT-Raider sure is pretty meh, but I really need to figure out the last two shotguns I'm going to get my Shotgun Mastery, I've already finished Eviscerator, Crusador, Piranha, Claymore, Reegar, and Graal, I don't have the Wraith, Geth Plasma, or Venom yet, so it's either the Raider and either the Katana, Scimatar, or Disciple, and the Raider seems the best of bad options.

12 hours ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

Things I'm discovering today: The AT-Raider sure is pretty meh, but I really need to figure out the last two shotguns I'm going to get my Shotgun Mastery, I've already finished Eviscerator, Crusador, Piranha, Claymore, Reegar, and Graal, I don't have the Wraith, Geth Plasma, or Venom yet, so it's either the Raider and either the Katana, Scimatar, or Disciple, and the Raider seems the best of bad options.

Disciple is really fun but a totally different shotgun to use so it does take some getting used to (like it’s not good for the Vanguard Biotic Charge then blast someone strategy)

The Raider is considered one of the top shotguns in MP so I wouldn’t consider it a bad option

Katana and Scimatar can go fuck themselves

The Venom is a Salarian weapon that is a shotgun in name only see also Geth Pulse Shotgun.  The Venom fires a bundle of explosive charges and functions a lot like the Scorpion heavy pistol. 

The Venom and the GPR are designed to fire at range; they're not for close-up work so they're not wise choices for Vanguards.

The Wraith is a beefier version of the Eviscerator. 

The Raider is not a bad shotgun to run if you want to knock out Shotgun Mastery as a Vanguard.  It has shit range with decent hip fire, so it is a good clean-up gun to use when your Biotic Charge doesn't obliterate your target.

Edited by J.T.

I made a save before I did the suicide mission, so if I fuck up, I can go back and do it again. But I'm already nervous that I'm going to spend all this time on this mission and not get the trophy to pop. Everyone is loyal, and I'm following guides, but still. I did my first run-through earlier in the morning, and Kasumi died in the vents because I couldn't find the second control panel or whatever. But I was pretty sleepy, so maybe now I'll have better success.

Garrus is leading the fire team, with (I think) Jack and Tali on my team with me. I already know I'm going to be sending Mordin back to the ship, and letting Grunt and Zaeed guard the door or whatever.

Only thing that sucks is, once again, I'll have to do another playthrough to get two fuckin' ability trophies (warp barriers and incinerate armor)

Yeah, Kasumi is one of the 3 to send into the vent, so you were right there.  

If you thought you needed all the right options to survive the suicide mission in 2, wait until you're about half way through 3...