DVDVR Message Board

Takeover: Orlando

HumanChessgame

My direction for NXT would have been building to heel Strong vs. face Gargano. That's the type of feud the NXT audience would eat up if done right. Plus, they both have the added benefit of being former indie guys who aren't in their late 30's.

I fear the direction for NXT will wind up being Roode vs. McIntyre in perfectly acceptable *** 1/2 wrestling matches.

• Like 1

Can we talk about how much better Ohno's gear looked when he left the shirt untucked. And the shirt wasn't quite as form fitting to his belly, either. Who tucks a shirt into tights, anyway? Why did they think that was a good idea for those first two matches?

32 minutes ago, Charlie M. said:

My direction for NXT would have been building to heel Strong vs. face Gargano. That's the type of feud the NXT audience would eat up if done right. Plus, they both have the added benefit of being former indie guys who aren't in their late 30's.

Underdog Gargano fighting a war of attrition and eventually tearing the belt away from Roode, only to get destroyed by Strong (I think Ohno and Black would work too) in his first defense would be great, if maybe a tiny bit close to the Neville/Zayn/Owens transition. 

Black reminds me more of a deluxe version of Baron Corbin - he already does what Corbin is trying to do about 15 times better than Corbin does coming out of the gate.

I liked the three-way tag title match more than Roode-Nak, but not by much. It's amazing how much better the second Roode-Nak match was than the first. Just leaps and bounds. Rest of the show was big fun.

• Like 4

Someone is going to have to explain Almas to me, because he strikes me as pretty much functionally useless every time I see him.

But as long as Bobby Roode is around, I'm pretty happy.

For someone they supposedly had big plans for once upon a time, Almas is being done NO favors being NXT's JTTS, a role he's had for a while. Somebody gonna debut on a Takeover? He's gonna beat Almas.

That said, they could always slap a mask on him and wash most of that stink right off.

11 minutes ago, jstout said:

For someone they supposedly had big plans for once upon a time, Almas is being done NO favors being NXT's JTTS, a role he's had for a while. Somebody gonna debut on a Takeover? He's gonna beat Almas.

That said, they could always slap a mask on him and wash most of that stink right off.

Thing is, I'm yet to see any reason they should be doing more with him. 

• Like 1

Almas has done his share of good shit.  The Roddy match, his mini-program with Cedric, the Lorcan matches.  They just all seem to happen in a vacuum where nothing leads anywhere for him.

Its definitely not a good sign that he's slid into the CJ Parker/Bull Dempsey "welcoming mat" spot.  Then again, Dillinger was there a while, and look at him now.

17 minutes ago, EVA said:

Almas has done his share of good shit.  The Roddy match, his mini-program with Cedric, the Lorcan matches.  They just all seem to happen in a vacuum where nothing leads anywhere for him.

Its definitely not a good sign that he's slid into the CJ Parker/Bull Dempsey "welcoming mat" spot.  Then again, Dillinger was there a while, and look at him now.

Maybe Almas will get over if he gets a gimmick like Dillinger's TEN chant. Maybe it's the language barrier, but something just isn't clicking. Maybe it was bringing him in as a face and the quick heel turn. I don't really mind Almas being the designated job guy since I'm more of a fan of the guys he's been jobbing to. I can see him ending up like Mistico where WWE just isn't right for him.

21 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

I wouldn't hate it if he's back in Arena Mexico this time next year.

I'm sure he wouldn't either. Being able to add former WWE Superstar to his name would probably get him a nice pay bump from other companies looking to book him.

CMLL would take him back with open arms. I remember seeing instagram photos of him with his Los Ingobernables homies shortly after he signed with WWE and looking so happy to be back with his buddies. The transition from lucha libre to American style is super difficult and not everybody can make it. Not only the insane differences in psychology but you work the right side in Mexico and the left pretty much everywhere else. Mysterio and Eddie doing as well as they did just reinforces how fucking godly they both are/were.

I'm not writing him off, but it feels like WWE may already be throwing him to the wolves despite his game still needing a lot of work to "fit in".

Just now, Oyaji said:

CMLL would take him back with open arms. I remember seeing instagram photos of him with his Los Ingobernables homies shortly after he signed with WWE and looking so happy to be back with his buddies. The transition from lucha libre to American style is super difficult and not everybody can make it. Not only the insane differences in psychology but you work the right side in Mexico and the left pretty much everywhere else. Mysterio and Eddie doing as well as they did just reinforces how fucking godly they both are/were.

I'm not writing him off, but it feels like WWE may already be throwing him to the wolves despite his game still needing a lot of work to "fit in".

I would happily trade Rush, La Mascara and Pierroth to Vince to get Sombra back.

5 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

The transition from lucha libre to American style is super difficult and not everybody can make it. Not only the insane differences in psychology but you work the right side in Mexico and the left pretty much everywhere else.

What does this mean?

Well, traditionally at least, you would tend to work the right arm or leg when doing a move and you'd use your left arm for clotheslines and such in Mexico IIRC. It's the opposite in the good ol' US of A.

Rush > Sombra IMO, though I prefer the character stuff Rush does to the amazing in-ring work Sombra did (not as if he didn't bring the cocky mannerisms that Naito's borrowed and gotten rich off of). I've never been as emotionally invested in a Sombra match like I have the two Park/Rush matches. Even the mask match.

I'd never seen anything from Almas prior to his NXT run so I can't say how much is different about him.  He strikes me as a good worker and his stuff with Lorcan has been top notch, but they've done nothing to make me care about him.  It's a problem in nowadays wrestling in general that too many guys just don't have gimmicks or anything that would get anyone invested in them.

7 hours ago, Charlie M. said:

They better have big plans for Roderick Strong because what they're doing is an absolute waste. I fear they may not understand what they have in him or he likely rubs people the wrong way backstage.

He's bland as fuck, though.  I know he's a better heel than he is a face, but he isn't exactly Ric Flair or even Rick Rude as a heel, either.

18 hours ago, jstout said:

Black reminds me more of a deluxe version of Baron Corbin - he already does what Corbin is trying to do about 15 times better than Corbin does coming out of the gate.

Black and Corbin just need a 3rd badass angry guy to make a damn fine stable. Who do they have in the PC that's a tatted up mofo who is a good all-rounder?

Stables would also help many of the wrestlers struggling with lackluster characters right now (Strong and Almas being head candidates).

1 hour ago, turk128 said:

Black and Corbin just need a 3rd badass angry guy to make a damn fine stable. Who do they have in the PC that's a tatted up mofo who is a good all-rounder?

Stables would also help many of the wrestlers struggling with lackluster characters right now (Strong and Almas being head candidates).

I maintain that Austin Aries injury really hurt Roderick Strong. In fact, I would have pegged them to be the guys to dethrone the AoP.

• Like 1