DVDVR Message Board

Takeover: Orlando

HumanChessgame

1 hour ago, Thibs said:

Have AOP always been this awesome? I knew OF them but never really sat down and watched them. 

Just awesome old school bully heels. Love the look, love the names, love Ellering. What a great presentation. 

They've been steadily improving. And, of course, working with The Revival and #DIY is gonna help anyone look good. 

That match was bonkers. I love that The Revival were just too big of heels to not take a shot at #DIY when it was there, costing all of them.

• Like 1

I know they're not a fan of it, but I think wide shots would have helped with the missed shots.

AoP looked super boss in the tag match. Not sure what happens to the tag division going forward. AoP could probably hold on to those titles for a while.

Really dug the Ember/Auska match, It'll be fun to see what happens to the division going forward if more experienced wrestlers are coming in and with the tournament coming up.

I don't remember Eric Young and Bobby Roode bumping and stooging this well in TNA but that could just my cloudy cloudy, but I love it.

3 minutes ago, Ramo2653 said:

Really dug the Ember/Auska match, It'll be fun to see what happens to the division going forward if more experienced wrestlers are coming in and with the tournament coming up.

The women's division is going to be in a weird place as they'll all of a sudden have a ton of experienced workers. Pretty soon they should have somewhere around ten who are TV ready, and another five or so that will soon be ready. And that's before anybody extra they sign out of the tournament (presumably some of their recent signings, Nixon Newell, Evie, Hojo etc will debut there, but I mean in addition to them).

I can't really see any way they're going to be able to fit that in in a one hour NXT along with the guys they have and are signing. Do they go to a two hour NXT? A women only show?

I was really impressed by that women's match and how the first part of it established Ember as a serious challenger. Some of those big strikes and how Asuka bumped and sold for them went a long way and I'm much more optimistic about this feud continuing and eventually leading to a good Ember win than I was beforehand.

Also, obviously, god bless tag team wrestling.

The triple threat tag was awesome. Didnt anyone else feel like the finishing stretch was a bit off? Felt like they either missed a spot or someone fluffed their lines but it looked a bit disjointed...

4 hours ago, Hector said:

Fucking rap metal for a guy with a satanist gimmick? They should have just given him The Ascension's theme. At least it has blast beats. 

A few weeks ago I looked around youtube to see if they had a theme for him up yet and came across this Dødheimsgard/Blut Aus Nord sounding piece which fits him about 1000% better and would have made his entrance even better.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, peterien said:

The triple threat tag was awesome. Didnt anyone else feel like the finishing stretch was a bit off? Felt like they either missed a spot or someone fluffed their lines but it looked a bit disjointed...

It fit into the story of the match and lead up, that in a straight up tag, AoP would obliterate anyone (which Revival have been steadly avoiding).  Nigel did his job and put over that Dawson tossing Ciampa into the ring was a mistake and opened up AoP to eliminating DIY and leaving Revival on their own, in which AoP went into destroy mode and walked through an already worn down Revival.  It was supposed to be that big of an asskicking finish, with that one last hope spot, before AoP won.  It fits into the story of that either two good teams need to get into a Three Way again to team up on AoP, or another monster team (like Heavy Machiniary or Sanity's heavys) to go straight up with them.  The smaller technical team hasn't found the straight up key to beating AoP yet.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Raziel403 said:

It fit into the story of the match and lead up, that in a straight up tag, AoP would obliterate anyone (which Revival have been steadly avoiding).  Nigel did his job and put over that Dawson tossing Ciampa into the ring was a mistake and opened up AoP to eliminating DIY and leaving Revival on their own, in which AoP went into destroy mode and walked through an already worn down Revival.  It was supposed to be that big of an asskicking finish, with that one last hope spot, before AoP won.  It fits into the story of that either two good teams need to get into a Three Way again to team up on AoP, or another monster team (like Heavy Machiniary or Sanity's heavys) to go straight up with them.  The smaller technical team hasn't found the straight up key to beating AoP yet.

Ah i see, I kind of only watch the Takeovers while watching NXT at a glance if I hear something major happens so I'm out of the loop. Cheers

I really hope they give Ruby Riot and Nikki Cross some insane Raven/Dreamer-type backstory for a lengthy feud. Ruby did some promo talking about how punk she is. I'm thinking it's something like Ruby was bit but Nikki's vegan dog when Sanity were bumming for change outside of a liquor store. Or Nikki crashed on a couch at Ruby's group-home and invited the rest of Sanity over who ended up giving the place bedbugs, so Ruby didn't get security deposit back.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ChrisM said:

Super fun show. Both tag matches were great, and Nak-Roode was way better than I thought it would be.

And am I the only one who finds Nikki Cross strangely hot?

Strangely? Nah, she's the girl next door that you did all those bad things with back in high school. ;-)

• Like 3

WAtched this show yesterday morning. Second year in a row that NXT out performed Mania. The 8person tag was super fun, Ruby looked a little nervous or something but it was a good time, was sad that Jose wasn't out there but they needed to replace the heavy of the faces with Ohno (would have rather had Strong be the one sitting out but it makes sense in team dynamics).

Almas/Black was decent, it was a little odd because they wanted to keep Almas looking really strong but you want the debuting guy to win and look good. It told a good story but I think these two could have a better match given the right circumstances. 

The tag match might be my WWE MOTY currently. I loved it, it was so much fun and laid out so well. Everything everyone did made sense and fit their characters. AoP look like  complete monsters but have been shown to be vulnerable so I'm interested in seeing how their reign goes.

Asuka/Moon was good, it helped establish Moon as a top level competitor and pretty much solidified Asuka as a heel based onthe finish. I think the women's division in NXT is set for a resurgence going forward especially with the recent signings.

I'm not as high on Roode/Nak as others in this thread. It was good-great but it also came across as very similar to their last match which I think was better than this one.

Great show that over delivered based on the announced card. 

I could not be more happy to see Nakamura's NXT tenure come to an end.  Good thing the crowd loves to sing these guys' theme songs, becaus that was easily the worst Takeover main event ever.

Bo Dallas vs. Neville was far worse, I'd argue. Nakamura/Roode told a coherent story. It was too long, didn't have enough urgency but it at least made sense. I remember that ladder match from the first Takeover having nothing redeeming other than the title switch.

Probably a bit of both. I remember him being incredibly self-centred in the episode of Best Friends. He would get visibly annoyed if the discussion veered away from Roderick Strong. 

If you look at who NXT had on the roster after Finn was called up, it was ridiculous. They had perhaps the best, or at least top 3 in my opinion, North American worker of 15/16 in Roddy (certainly the best heel imo), the best luchador in Almas, and the best Japanese worker in Nakamura. They went all in on Nakamura, who has been phoning it in and that's completely understandable. He's got a lot of mileage and he's too old to be busting ass in a developmental territory. They've missed the boat with the other two so badly. Just dudes. Now they have one of the other best North American workers in Hero. They are not short on talent and never will be.