DVDVR Message Board

Takeover: Orlando

HumanChessgame

Confirmed so far we have-

Bobby Roode vs. Shinsuke Nakamura (NXT Championship)

Asuka vs. Ember Moon (Women's Championship)

DIY vs. Authors of Pain vs. Revival (Tag Titles)

I'm guessing we get Alistair Black/Tommy End debuting against whomever the nowadays NXT JTTS is.  Even though No Way Jose, Roddy, and Tye Dillenger vs Sanity is scheduled for next week it seems more likely that feud will get blown off at Takeover as well.

With as much as Nikki has gotten involved the last few weeks, I feel like they could stretch it out to Takeover with a 4 on 4 match with No Way/Roddy/Tye recruiting a woman to team with.  

It's going to be interesting to see what will close the show.  If Nak really is being called up - I really don't see a Roode victory going on last.  Maybe they reward the Revival for becoming the GREATEST TAG TEAM OF ALL TIME by putting them in the main event of their last Takeover?

6 hours ago, CSC said:

It's going to be interesting to see what will close the show.  If Nak really is being called up - I really don't see a Roode victory going on last.  Maybe they reward the Revival for becoming the GREATEST TAG TEAM OF ALL TIME by putting them in the main event of their last Takeover?

Not a chance that they'll close out this show with a match that isn't for the NXT Title.

6 hours ago, CSC said:

With as much as Nikki has gotten involved the last few weeks, I feel like they could stretch it out to Takeover with a 4 on 4 match with No Way/Roddy/Tye recruiting a woman to team with.  

It'd be one thing if they had a tag match that they knew would be over the top great or with a lot of buzz behind it. I don't think this is that match.

Nothing has buzz behind it for this show.  Roode/Nak has been done and wasn't that great the first time.  Ember is just a cool finisher.  Everything else is just filler or not even announced at this point.  Eliminate the AoP early and let DIY/Revival tear down the house one more time. 

• Like 1

If they turned Revival face and had them go after AoP by themselves, I would've been highly interested in that. DIY could give the rub to another team since they seem like obvious call-ups, for 205 Live if nothing else.

Roode rest-holding his way through main events is a pretty good indicator someone's finger has drifted off the pulse over the last year or so.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, CSC said:

Nothing has buzz behind it for this show.  Roode/Nak has been done and wasn't that great the first time.  Ember is just a cool finisher.  Everything else is just filler or not even announced at this point.  Eliminate the AoP early and let DIY/Revival tear down the house one more time. 

DIY is probably on the shelf after this as Ciampa needs surgery.

I'd expect a Tyler Bate defense also. Most likely agains Pete Dunne again?

Not doing Asuka vs Cross feels like a misstep to me. They built up the feud, and we didn't get anything close to a payoff at San Antonio. Ember doesn't have a character or much of an issue with Asuka. Should've gone with Asuka/Cross and Ember/Peyton after she injured Billie. Don't even get me started on the Roode/Nak rematch. I'll watch, but I'm not very excited for it.

1 hour ago, JonnyLaw said:

They need to play up Asuka's interview after the last Takeover where she said, "Ember Moon? Does she work here?"  It would naturally lead into some "Who is Embet Moon?" promos/vignettes to get her character over more (at all).

I second this. I need to know more about Ember's love of Legos and fan-art. 

47 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I second this. I need to know more about Ember's love of Legos and fan-art. 

She does the Sailor Moon pose.

No, I kind of agree. It's an issue. It's an issue that has to do with how split the audience is right now. As I kid, I always would get frustrated when Jim Ross would harp on about "real" sports, because I didn't really care about sports. I cared about pro wrestling and it always felt to me like he, and wrestlers in general, would be deferential to something like football. By doing so, by comparing themselves in a way that made it feel like they were at least half as real and legitimate as football, like that was some sort of accomplishment, they belittled themselves to kids who would have let them create their own reality and define it however they wanted. 

At least then, though, the majority of people who watched wrestling probably had football on a high pedestal. Now, the audience is so split and diverse and weird. Lots of people in the crowd are going to go for Balor's Venom cosplaying or The New Day's Dragonball stuff or whatever, but there's a chunk of the crowd that would be much more comfortable with Mojo doing a three point stance or something. 

Sailor Moon is a cultural touchstone for Sasha and Ember, but I don't think it's the sort of thing that should be making it on screen, even in an aired personality piece. I get that kayfabe is dead but you don't watch a movie and have a character distracting everyone from his unique aspects with some pop culture element that the actor really likes, unless it somehow really fleshes out the character. Maybe that works with New Day, but it was iffy (but at least subtle) when Dashing Cody Rhodes had the triforce on his boots, and it's sure as hell not something we want with someone who is supposed to be mysterious like Ember Moon. "Who is Ember Moon" is great, but it's only great so long as we don't get too much (and almost any is probably too much) "She's Adrienne Reese!" out of it. 

Part of the problem right now is that WWE wants to have its cake and eat it too. They want to do PR stuff with both their Mickey Mouse and with the actor with the Mickey head off. In this day and age, that blurs the line so much that it affects the product. 

• Like 5

Guest Edwin
7 minutes ago, nofuture said:

I'd imagine they'll add Sanity vs Strong/Jose/Dillinger/Ruby Riot next week.

Yeah, I think I'll skip this for CZW BOTB then.

I don't really follow NXT outside of the TakeOver events, but I live in Orlando and can go to any NXT card, so I guess I'll take the novelty of the fiasco the CZW card is going to be and then watch TakeOver at some other point on the Network.

On 3/23/2017 at 0:44 PM, Go2Sleep said:

I'd be interested if the 8-person intergender match was a hardcore-tornado style brawl. Regular mixed tag rules? *shrug*

Man, what would be a legit surprise is if they had an old school mixed tag. I mean, it's on the Network where there are archives of said style mixed tag and they don't need to worry about TV/Cable censorship.