DVDVR Message Board

2017-2018 NCAA BASKETBALL SEASON

RIPPA

Bradley has very quietly busted out to an 8-2 record, their best start since the monster 1986 season where they finished 32-3. Only two losses are to SDSU and a very good Vermont team that danced last year. Almost gives me some hope, especially with the vacuum left by Wichita's departure...

Here at MSG with like 400 other people for Memphis- Louisville. One last chance to see the Cardinals before they receive the death penalty and their program is wrecked. Oh hell who am I kidding: they'll get a 2 year tourney ban and loss of scholarships.

Just saw that my alma mater Purchase College is now an NCAA member (they weren't when I went to the school) and plays in a real D3 league. They play games away in Brooklyn, The Bronx and Manhattan. Last one is vs Yeshiva which is very easy for me to get to. Go Panthers!!!

I know SUNY Purchase is a state school and all, but seeing as how they're located in the same town as the second biggest food and beverage company on the entire fucking planet... HOW do they not name themselves the Peps or Peppers or have school colors of red, blue, and white?  

Jesus, SUNY. This isn't hard.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Dewar said:

Every time you discuss the terriers, I think of this:

I said the same exact thing to my friend at the game!!! I actually have the album that he put out in the late 90's as well. "The Daves I Know" was my other favorite of his.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Here we go again.  

A Michigan State basketball player is under investigation for possible criminal sexual assault. 

http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/22457780/michigan-state-freshman-basketball-player-subject-criminal-sexual-conduct-investigation-espn

Pete Thamel has an article up suggesting the ongoing FBI investigation is going to blow up a lot of top-tier programs.  The breathless tone makes me think he's overselling it, but he's generally a pretty reliable reporter.  And college sports could sure stand to get blown up.

I was at Wisconsin's win over Purdue last night and it was lots o' fun.  They did one of those 3D projection things on the court before the game, which is super-cool to see live.  They retired Frank Kaminsky's jersey at halftime and he gave a really nice speech while absolutely stunting in a red suit and matching Jordans.  And I got to see a court-storming live for the first time.  The game itself was dogshit, but it was nice to see one bright spot in this UW season.

The whole system needs to be blown up all the way down to the AAU level.  I agree with Sir Charles comments.  Same with Kobe.  The kids never learn to play.  From the moment they enter an AAU program the kids are tossed around and used by everyone from the coaches to the handlers to the shoe companies.  How do you turn pro at 19 and not know how to shoot a jump shot?  When I learned to play it was one of the first things you learned.  Now it is all about driving and dunking.  Fundamentals are not taught.

The biggest middle finger the NCAA gives everyone is Kentucky.  Calipari had a Final Four appearance vacated at UMass, wins vacated at Memphis, and now at Kentucky the top kids come to play for a year before they go to the NBA Draft.  We all know he runs a dirty program but nobody cares.  

If you are going to pay the kids, make it above board.  Kid gets a SUV and special apartment on campus along with money funneled to his cousin from a friend of some boosters.  Quit playing the game that they are student athletes because there is no student here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, evilwaldo said:

The whole system needs to be blown up all the way down to the AAU level.  I agree with Sir Charles comments.  Same with Kobe.  The kids never learn to play.  From the moment they enter an AAU program the kids are tossed around and used by everyone from the coaches to the handlers to the shoe companies.  How do you turn pro at 19 and not know how to shoot a jump shot?  When I learned to play it was one of the first things you learned.  Now it is all about driving and dunking.  Fundamentals are not taught.

The biggest middle finger the NCAA gives everyone is Kentucky.  Calipari had a Final Four appearance vacated at UMass, wins vacated at Memphis, and now at Kentucky the top kids come to play for a year before they go to the NBA Draft.  We all know he runs a dirty program but nobody cares.  

If you are going to pay the kids, make it above board.  Kid gets a SUV and special apartment on campus along with money funneled to his cousin from a friend of some boosters.  Quit playing the game that they are student athletes because there is no student here.

On this we absolutely 100% agree. But do you think the G League can play the role colleges have played in developing players only with them being pros and getting paid? 

Not without a massive influx of cash.

The NBA doesn't want to lose it's free developmental league, but to make the D-league into something useful they'd have to pay the players more, put more into the coaching, etc etc.

8 hours ago, sabremike said:

On this we absolutely 100% agree. But do you think the G League can play the role colleges have played in developing players only with them being pros and getting paid? 

I think the G league should because, let's be honest, the D league is not developmental in the least and the kids sure don't get any development in college.  They are one and done trying not to get injured while playing as to avoid, not improve, on their faults.

Hopefully this blows it up but they should expand the probe to football as well.

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-college-hoops-corruption-case-poised-take-hall-fame-coaches-top-programs-lottery-picks-224417174.html

On 2/17/2018 at 10:57 PM, evilwaldo said:

I think the G league should because, let's be honest, the D league is not developmental in the least and the kids sure don't get any development in college.  They are one and done trying not to get injured while playing as to avoid, not improve, on their faults.

Hopefully this blows it up but they should expand the probe to football as well

The problem there is that development for basketball leagues doesn't change the simple fact...basketball is the one sport where superstars matter the most. Unlike the other big sports where there's other variables, in basketball, the team that has the best player on the court is probably going to win the game.

This will always make the G-League fail to develop stars, simply because any players who are stars enough to need the development from college would probably already be able to contribute for an NBA team out of the gate- and no matter how much developing the G-League does, the best they can do is turn a fringe player into a rotation guy. MAYBE.

For the G-League to be blown up and develop players, "letting high school seniors go to the G-League" won't help because any high school seniors who'd have superstar potential could just be drafted into the NBA out of high school as it is.  You would have to go further and go past "let high school graduates go to the G-League for a year", and go to following Lamelo Ball's footsteps and say :if a high school freshman, sophomore, or junior REALLY wants to and a G League team would take them, they have the opportunity to drop out of high school and enter the G-League."