DVDVR Message Board

2017-2018 NCAA BASKETBALL SEASON

RIPPA

Seriously, this is a crime that only exists because it is against the rules to pay people who are providing a valuable service.  If the NCAA would let players get paid, they wouldn't have to do all this back channel shadiness to give these players this money.  I have a friend who is a recruiter for a company that was just bought out by a pretty big defense contractor.  She goes to colleges and basically promises talented students money to work for her corporation.  She was telling me that the schools set a limit on the deadlines they can set for accepting a position (basically, they have to give them a chance to think about it.).  So this new company says fuck that, and says if you want this job you have to give us an answer by the end of the week.  She was telling me that the big company is the big company because they don't give a fuck about the stupid deadline limit.  They look at the student and say, "You'll make this much money starting day one.  If you want the job let me know by Friday, if not the offer is off the table."  They get the best talent, because they don't follow the rule.  What they are doing isn't illegal, but they clearly saw a rule that they could exploit to get the talent they want.  That is how this works when there is a limited talent pool.  How do you get a player who can play anywhere to go to Louisville, or Auburn?  Maybe, just maybe you have to look at rules that don't seem to make any sense and decide to break them.  That is how the entire college system works.  Sure you might be able to convince a talented player to go to Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina, UCLA, or Kansas,  because they are historical programs that kids grow up dreaming about.  There are a whole bunch of other schools that have to come up with something to tell these recruits, and playing by the rules ain't going to cut it.

• Like 1

Just now, odessasteps said:

If Baylor didn't get the death penalty for the Dave Bliss stuff, hard to imagine anything will.

Neither Dave Bliss nor Art Briles.  With that said, an abortion scandal, a prostitution scandal, and a fraud scandal that involves the FBI back-to-back-to-back...might get you the death penalty.

The funny thing is that I think what NC did was the worst thing possible and more deserving of severe sanctions than anything. They were essentially committing actual fraud that compromised their purpose as an institution of higher learning. They outright gave out sham worthless diplomas. There really isn't much a college can do that is worse than that.

Really the only D1 schools you can root for and not feel shame are the service academies. Army is my favorite team and as much as Navy and AF are their bitter rivals I always root for them against other schools.

2 hours ago, sabremike said:

The funny thing is that I think what NC did was the worst thing possible and more deserving of severe sanctions than anything. They were essentially committing actual fraud that compromised their purpose as an institution of higher learning. They outright gave out sham worthless diplomas. There really isn't much a college can do that is worse than that.

I'm all for sanctions against UNC if it means Illinois get a retroactive NC.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

I'm all for sanctions against UNC if it means Illinois get a retroactive NC.

Yeah, I'm sure Illinois got to a National Championship game without any shenanigans at all.  Nope, nothing suspicious about a star player from Texas deciding to go to Illinois to play basketball.  That happens all the time.

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

Yeah, I'm sure Illinois got to a National Championship game without any shenanigans at all.  Nope, nothing suspicious about a star player from Texas deciding to go to Illinois to play basketball.  That happens all the time.

I'm a Kansas fan and I'm amazed Bill Self has never gotten popped for a serious recruiting violation. I feel like it's only a matter of time.

Nike's player development division is being subpoenaed in relation to payments to players so it looks like none are without sin in this deal.

Also Arizona gave a 2018 recruit $150k so Sean Miller is probably on the way out.

Pitino was the "Coach 2" named in one of the complaints, according to a bunch of different outlets. This is the guy who has a huge swinging d--- at Adidas, according to the releases. This is not really a surprise to anyone, save for a few delusional UL fans. 

The best is Dick Vitale expressing shock and then talking about how money is ruining the game. There's a great book about high school recruiting (and inner city life) called The Last Shot. One of the main characters is a young Steph Marbury. Dickie V. is speaking at a Nike camp about "NIke's good to you, you're good to Nike" and the like. He was on the Nike payroll, too. (Not sure if he still is or not.)

Even as far back as the early 90s when that book was published, college coaches were getting endorsement deals by shoe companies. Not sure how that still works (why pay a single coach when you can pay an entire college?) but that stuff has been going on for decades.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

Pitino was the "Coach 2" named in one of the complaints, according to a bunch of different outlets. This is the guy who has a huge swinging d--- at Adidas, according to the releases. This is not really a surprise to anyone, save for a few delusional UL fans. 

The best is Dick Vitale expressing shock and then talking about how money is ruining the game. There's a great book about high school recruiting (and inner city life) called The Last Shot. One of the main characters is a young Steph Marbury. Dickie V. is speaking at a Nike camp about "NIke's good to you, you're good to Nike" and the like. He was on the Nike payroll, too. (Not sure if he still is or not.)

Even as far back as the early 90s when that book was published, college coaches were getting endorsement deals by shoe companies. Not sure how that still works (why pay a single coach when you can pay an entire college?) but that stuff has been going on for decades.

That is one of my favorite sports books, and shows how the supposed villains in these situations are often more heroic than the heroes.  A lot of these kids come from nothing, and $150K will legitimately change their lives for the better.  They are worth more than that to these universities, but they set up a system that doesn't let them see any of that money.  There are people who are going to be sent to prison because they wanted to pay a kid who deserves the money.  The system is the problem.  Paying players is the solution.  None of this is a problem unless you refuse to pay these kids for their services.   

• Like 5

Heck Raw Recruits came out before The Last Shot and covered similar territory too showing that it was going at least in the 80s (and I think we all know it was way before that too)

7 minutes ago, supremebve said:

That is one of my favorite sports books, and shows how the supposed villains in these situations are often more heroic than the heroes.  A lot of these kids come from nothing, and $150K will legitimately change their lives for the better.  They are worth more than that to these universities, but they set up a system that doesn't let them see any of that money.  There are people who are going to be sent to prison because they wanted to make 10x the money they paid the kidwho deserves the money.  The system is the problem.  Paying players is the solution.  None of this is a problem unless you refuse to pay these kids for their services.   

Agree with most of what you're saying here, but I did have to fix the one sentence for you.  Make no mistake, none of these people  are paying kids out of charity or becasue the kids earned it.  They're paying them because they think they can profit exponentially off that investment.  They're just as sleazy as anybody.

• Like 2