DVDVR Message Board

2017-2018 NCAA BASKETBALL SEASON

RIPPA

Marvin Bagley, the #1 recruit in the class of 2018, reclassified to class of 2017 and committed to Duke.  Sounds like he might never actually play in college as his eligibility is in question and this move was just to get him in the draft a year earlier.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sounds like there are two corruption issues: the coaches taking bribes to funnel players to financial advisers and the coaches using apparel companies to funnel bribes to prep athletes to steer them to their schools.  So shit could get real bad for these schools.

I think a lot of coaches and ADs are about to figure out the difference between an NCAA "investigation" and a real-ass FBI investigation.

Louisville's tied into it. Money was funneled to one of their "surprise" recruits. Pitino still somehow has a job despite paying a mistress to have an abortion after they had sex at an Italian restaurant (in an encounter that lasted "less than 15 seconds" as he put it) AND running a team where one of his assistants was paying prostitutes and strippers to party with recruits. Pitino's denying allegations, which is code for "you pay me to leave or I'll sue you and you'll pay me then."

College sports are so absurdly sleazy.

51 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

Louisville's tied into it. Money was funneled to one of their "surprise" recruits. Pitino still somehow has a job despite paying a mistress to have an abortion after they had sex at an Italian restaurant (in an encounter that lasted "less than 15 seconds" as he put it) AND running a team where one of his assistants was paying prostitutes and strippers to party with recruits. Pitino's denying allegations, which is code for "you pay me to leave or I'll sue you and you'll pay me then."

College sports are so absurdly sleazy.

The prostitutes were paid by the coaching staff and the parties were in the player's dorm.  I'll never understand how he survived that one, because that is SLEAZY to the highest degree.  Jim Tressel didn't snitch on his players for selling property that belonged to them, and he got ran off after winning a National Championship.  That dude had coaches on his staff running hoes in the player's dorm, and he still has a job.

The NCAA is utterly worthless.

Like... does it get more disturbing than Penn State? They intentionally looked the other way for decades from a serial child sex abuser. The only real thing that happened was they couldn't go to the San Diego Federal Credit Union Bowl for a few years and lost a few scholarships (eventually restored). Now they're back to number four in the county! 

Baylor in the course of a decade had a basketball player kill a teammate, which resulted in the head coach trying to get players to lie about the situation in order to prevent a look at his nonsense in getting kids to play for him. (Of course, the assistant he had who was scared to death who taped the conversation as a means of protection was blackmailed.) That was followed a few years later by a string of sexual assaults committed by football players who were allowed to do pretty much whatever they wanted on campus. Like... how does that school possibly justify having sports?

The NCAA gave UNC a slap on the wrist for its "academic issues" and then looked really bad after Rashad McCants broke the omerta code and dimed out how the players either enrolled in fake classes or were just given rubber-stamped A's in the major they were steered to. Nothing's been done about any of that. 

It's a terrible organization.

Just friggin' pay players already. They're already getting paid.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Assistant coaches but the head coaches didn't know what was going on?  Come the fuck on.. 

I think there's sort of an omerta thing going on. Once you're a head coach, you're above the day-to-day recruiting fray. You show up when you need to close on a player, but there's no talk about money or anything. The assistants act as a bag man but don't keep any of the head coaches in the "This kid needs $100,000 to come here" conversation. And then an assistant will become a head coach at some mid-major, hope they get lucky and have a 20-win season and a first round scalp, and then get to a Power 6 job where they can then look the other way themselves.

Some of the college message boards have some really interesting takes as to why some of the blue blood programs (especially Kansas) weren't pegged in this. Andrew Wiggins was probably hooked up by a shoe company and agreed to sign w/ Adidas well before he even agreed to a college. And being that Kansas is a flagship Adidas school, that's where he was going to end up no matter what.  

I could see the same thing with Coach Cal and Nike (and Worldwide Wes). Cal's a total scumbag (see Camby, Marcus) and can't coach (see New Jersey Nets) but the best AAU programs tend to be Nike affiliated and Kentucky's the brand name for one-and-done kids. And, if a kid needs a little more of a taste, there's always a booster floating about who knows the drill. 

Duke is in the same boat. They recruit a lot of rich kids who don't need the money. Kyrie Irving's from my hometown and his dad is a big stockbroker. He went to this real preppy high school for a while before moving to St. Patrick's when everyone realized how good he was. And if you want a shot at the NBA, Duke's one of the schools to go to (especially since Coach K is also plugged into USA basketball). And Duke is also a Nike school, and has that pipeline. If you're a Top 20 player, and you're hooked in with Nike, you're going to either Kentucky or Duke.

3 hours ago, Pete said:

Not defending them (and I know they've done other things), but let me get this straight:

Academic fraud (NC): slap on the wrist

Knowingly letting a sexual preditor run riot (Ped State): relatively minor penalty.

Paying players: DEATH PENALTY!!!!!!!!!!!

To be fair, the death penalty was very much on the table for Penn State.   And from what I've seen so far, Louisville was engaging in SMU-level egregious rulebreaking.   (That said, just pay these kids already. Christ.)

• Like 1