DVDVR Message Board

2017-2018 NCAA BASKETBALL SEASON

RIPPA

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/21331147/ucla-players-liangelo-ball-cody-riley-jalen-hill-arrested-china-shoplifting-charges

Three UCLA men's basketball players -- including LiAngelo Ball, the younger brother of the Los Angeles Lakers' Lonzo Ball -- were arrested in China just days before Friday's season-opening game against Georgia Tech in Shanghai, sources told ESPN's Jeff Goodman.

One source told ESPN the players -- which also included freshmen Cody Riley and Jalen Hill -- were arrested on shoplifting charges.

Multiple calls and texts to UCLA head coach Steve Alford at approximately 1 a.m. local time on Wednesday morning were not immediately returned.

UCLA released a statement: "We are aware of a situation involving UCLA student-athletes in Hangzhou, China. The University is cooperating fully with local authorities on this matter, and we have no further comment at this time."

Authorities believe the players shoplifted from a Louis Vuitton store near the UCLA team hotel outside of Shanghai. The Bruins are in China to play Georgia Tech on Saturday in the season opener. The players were arrested Tuesday after local law enforcement came to the team hotel and questioned both UCLA and Georgia Tech players before taking the three away. ESPN first reported the arrests.

What they face now bears little resemblance to the legal system of the United States. The three men could be detained for more than a month without American-style bail before local prosecutors even decide whether to press charges, according to William Nee, a Hong Kong-based researcher of the Chinese court system for Amnesty International.

Nee said it is not uncommon for a defendant to wait 30-37 days before being officially indicted. Among those indicted, Chinese prosecutors enjoy a 99.2 percent conviction rate, according to Nee’s research.

While it is unknown exactly what the players are being detained for, Chinese law calls for a fine and between three to 10 years in prison for anyone convicted of “robbing public or private property using force, coercion, or other methods.” The case could also be dropped to the lower “administration violation” rather than robbery, which would lessen any potential penalty including prison time, according to Jeremy Daum, an attorney and research fellow at Yale Law School’s Paul Tsai China Center based in Beijing.

2 hours ago, Kuetsar said:

How fucking stupid are you to commit a crime in CHINA while there for a basketball game? Doesn't everyone in the goddamned world know how they do legal shit and know you want NO FUCKING PART OF IT? 

If we left LaVar there, could LiAngelo go free? Asking for a friend.

• Haha 3

Creighton gave an NCAA tournament ring to the guy who got expelled for sexual assault, gets mad at sexual violence prevention staff for pointing out how fucked up it is.

The season starts today and I think I'm really done with college basketball.  Between the non-stop scandals, the exploitation of players, and the garbage product on the court it's just not something I want to invest my time or attention into any more.

• Like 2

Fordham lost to Miami 54-53 at Rose Hill tonight. The dumbest thing they ever did was join the A-10 because they are never going to be a competitive program in that conference. They belong in America East or the Patriot League, they'd be competitive there.

9 hours ago, hammerva said:

If you think your teams non conference schedule is tough,  imagine being Utah Valley who starts their season against Duke and Kentucky :unsure:

And to their enormous credit, they have Kentucky a lot more a game than anyone likely expected. Took a nine point lead into halftime. Got blasted in the second, but what can you do?

So in American's game notes (I have friends who still read the game notes), I was amused by this tidbit

AU is one of 4 schools this year that doesn't have a senior on the roster. The other three are Holy Cross, Bowling Green and Kentucky

One of these things is not like the other

• Like 1

On 11/10/2017 at 6:46 PM, hammerva said:

If you think your teams non conference schedule is tough,  imagine being Utah Valley who starts their season against Duke and Kentucky :unsure:

24 hours apart, no less. 

Jeff Capel Jr has passed away from ALS

I was lucky when I was at American in the mid-90s and working for the school paper.

Covering basketball allowed me to see coaches like Capel work up close

Saw the stat on Chinese prosecutors having an amazing 99.2% conviction rate and feel the need to point out that the feds conviction rate is only a paltry 98.3%. Thank God the American legal system is nowhere near as stacked against the accused as China's is!!!

Among the multitude of reasons I'll never be in charge of a university(starting with not being remotely qualified and working my way down), is I would have thrown all three of those morons out of the school right on their ass. . . .

My one takeaway from Wisconsin/Xavier last night is that Xavier's shorts have a big, shiny silver X on the side and look like something a sleazy indie highflyer would have worn in 2002 and that rules.

This just in: Washington are horrible. They are down by 31 at the half to Virginia Tech here at the Garden in front of like 1,000 people in the 2KSports Classic 3rd place game. Championship game features Providence vs St Louis. I got in for $8 thanks to SeatGeek.

So, Bama's entire bench got ejected, a player fouled out, and they lost another to injury. They had to play the final 10 min. against Minnesota with only 3 players and still kept it close and nearly took the lead thanks to 40 pts from Collin Sexton. Alabama actually outscored Minnesota 30-22 while playing 3 on 5