DVDVR Message Board

SDL Is Bray Does Blackface - 3/14/2017

Dolfan in NYC

I don't know how, but they manage to underwhelm every time with Bray.  It's amazing.

Also, I think they were dropping the hint that AJ was going to put his career up against Shane.  Which is good, because that means he'll win. 

All I could think of during the Bray segment-

giphy.gif

Man that Miz TV segment was cringe-worthy awful.  Maryse needs to never speak again.

They remembered there's a tag division on Smackdown.  Looks like The "We're bad guys and this time we're really serious about it" Usos will have their umpteenth match with AA.  The two teams work well with eachother, but it's a matchup that's been done to death at this point.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Also, I think they were dropping the hint that AJ was going to put his career up against Shane.  Which is good, because that means he'll win. 

Are you sure about that? Shane taking back to back Mania losses might make the family look weak. And you know when it comes to the McMahons showing weakness...they don't want none.

• Like 1

Good thing WWE waited until March for Bray in blackface, although that being done in February would have been funny for all the wrong reasons.

It's funny how WWE goes out their way for WM to drum up interest in the casuals, while alienating the hardcore fans. I don't think my interest has been this low since Benoit lost his mind.

2 minutes ago, zev said:

Are you sure about that? Shane taking back to back Mania losses might make the family look weak. And you know when it comes to the McMahons showing weakness...they don't want none.

Shane is the designated jobber of the family.

I'm certain I'm missing something obvious, but I was trying to think of the last time wrestling was hokier than Bray Wyatt and I had to go back to Katie Vick and Kane "setting Jim Ross on fire." I can't understand what anyone sees in this guy as his character currently stands.

• Like 2

Maryse standing up, looking directly into the camera and delivering her money promo was great. Especially because she was looking really nervous up until that point.

Nikki still couldn't come up with a good defense even with a bunch of scriptwriters trying to make her the babyface. I feel like this whole thing is a bit of a fuck you to Cena for being a part-timer.

42 minutes ago, jstout said:

I'm certain I'm missing something obvious, but I was trying to think of the last time wrestling was hokier than Bray Wyatt and I had to go back to Katie Vick and Kane "setting Jim Ross on fire." I can't understand what anyone sees in this guy as his character currently stands.

Oh shit. I think I was at the Raw where Jim Ross was set on fire. At least I was if it was at the Raw in Indy.

EDIT: Just checked. Yep. I was there for this. What's funny is that my friend who doesn't watch wrestling any more just brought this up the other day as why he stopped watching wrestling.

44 minutes ago, jstout said:

Thiis.  Oh, fuck, this.  This.  This.

I'm really unhappy Bray is already out of March Madness.  Been kinda busy lately and I never found the time to put on my tin foil hat and write a long-ass manifesto of all the reasons Bray Wyatt doesn't work.  I don't buy into the guy at all - and I love early 90's WWF, which was rife with hokey, over-the-top gimmicks.  To me, Bray is what you get in the early 90's if you give the Undertaker gimmick to Mike Shaw or Bruiser Mastino (AKA Mantaur).

Maybe it's just me, but Randy's sneaky "join them then beat them" plan seems really out of character for him and kinda dumb.

Lol, that crowd loved AJ tonight.  AJ will likely do his part and not play  to the crowd, but they're going to have their work cut out for them getting the WrestleMania crowd to boo Shane.  And Shane really does seem to be over as a babyface.   It sounded like they were booing Daniel Bryan when he fired AJ - and the attack was as well executed as it could be to get AJ heel heat.

I am amused that Renee realized well in advance that AJ was going to attack Shane when he got out of the car - and didn't bother to try to warn him.  I wish the WWE would figure out how to stage these things so that's it not blatantly obvious the interviewer, the camera man, and whoever else is around see the heel coming but don't try to warn the babyface.

I feel kinda bad for company man Cena.  He's done a hell of a lot for the company over the years - and probably risked his well-being hustling back from injuries and what-not - and he gets to 2017 and gets put into an angle that seems intended to make him squirm (Meltzer said Cena was against the angle-feud).  Oh, and then he supposedly gets to propose to his contractually-obliglated girlfriend in the ring.  I can't think of an in-ring proposal without flashing back to the wedding angle with Hillbilly JIm's in-ring family.  Great company for John.

• Like 1

I liked both of the women's matches, especially Nattie Vs Becky. Those two always have good chemistry. I also liked Carmella coming out and inserting herself into things. 

Their Talking Smack segment was pure insanity though. Becky made me literally LOL with the elf dig. 

5 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

Bray would be 1000x better if they dropped the hokey, mystical cult bullshit and let him be a swamp rat Dusty Rhodes.  

I could see Chris DeJoseph and company doing some pretty rad mystical cult stuff with Bray on Lucha Underground. Vince hasn't really shown the ability to do it well and often fails miserably. Still love the character despite that.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

Bray would be 1000x better if they dropped the hokey, mystical cult bullshit and let him be a swamp rat Dusty Rhodes.  

The cult stuff is great. They should be doing more of that. Growing the number of followers and shit. Just tone down the garbled rhetoric.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, just drew said:

The cult stuff is great. They should be doing more of that. Growing the number of followers and shit. Just tone down the garbled rhetoric.

This actually is part of my complaint.  You can't do a cult angle in a PG environment, so WWE never does much with the angle.  Bray's been awful at recruiting followers.  CM Punk was only marginally better.  It's a sad cultist who can't turn a single babyface.

Edit; I originally typed "You can't do a cult angle in a PWG environment."  Lol.

• Like 2

Just now, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

This actually is part of my complaint.  You can't do a cult angle in a PWG environment, so WWE never does much with the angle.  Bray's been awful at recruiting followers.  CM Punk was only marginally better.  It's a sad cultist who can't turn a single babyface.

Agreed. A cult leader who doesn't expand his followers is just a dude that likes to hear himself talk.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, zev said:

Who could they bring up from NXT to serve as Bray's new team, The Fireflies?

Or do they just rebrand Ascension or Vaudevillains?

At one point, they supposedly intended to pair Bray with the Ascension, but the idea was scrapped.