DVDVR Message Board

Americo Rocca, Ringo Mendoza y Tony Salazar vs. Negro Navarro, El Signo y El Texano (9/19/86)

Phil Schneider

• 1 month later...

Lucha libre as aired on Japanese TV!

Relatively weak match for the set but still a lot of fun.  Ending to the first fall sees the Misioneros hit a triple team atomic drop and a really cool double team submission for the win.  Some nice punch exchanges throughout and neat stuff at the end, including a super-speed El Signo (I think) tope and Texano (I think) reversing the classic hurricanrana into the leg lock circle spot (there should be a name for that spot; maybe there is).  This feels like a bottom third match which gets over how damn good this set it.

I saw this in the listings and got excited but after reading tim and OJ's reviews I adjusted my expectations. This is a quick/fun trios match with some interesting spots and not the epic you expect a Misioneros de la Muerte apuestas match to be. The sunset flip by Salazar to block one of the Misioneros applying la tapatia to his teammate was cool and I'm surprised I've never seen that spot before. Americo Rocca looked great trading punches in this match too. The submission counter during the finish was the best part of the match and it's a shame the rest of it didn't feel quite as special.

the classic hurricanrana into the leg lock circle spot (there should be a name for that spot; maybe there is).

I had to look it up but I knew I heard it before: http://luchawiki.org/index.php?title=La_Estrella

I don't know whether Rocca submitting to that insane double leg lock where he's hanging upside down is the most ridiculous or just plain best submission of the set, then los Misionarios try and top it with Ringo. Dr. Cerebro would shed a tear or maybe just start furiously writing in his notebook watching this. It is workrate-y, especially for a hair match, but from what I've read los Misionarios were known for that style back in the day. The end has an ridiculously fast tope and then Ringo wins with the most insane Gory Special reversal-into-submission ever. I don't think the clipping hurt this that bad (it's certainly not as random or jarring as other matches we've seen) and not every match can be a gorefest, even a hair match, so this was neat. Certainly didn't disappoint like the last and only other Misionarios match on the set. 

• 3 months later...

Taking weeks between watching matches, by choice or not, means it's hard to remember which guy is which for the Misionarios. Is Texano the fat guy? Man, I am so bad at lucha. And Navarro is so much easier to spot without hair. We're going to go with Rocca with the white tights. Oh, it doesn't really matter. That triple inverted atomic drop is a thing of beauty. The double standing crab submission is just weird. AGH. when they cinch on that double submission at the end of the first fall it's just the nastiest thing. I do think the clipping hurt that a little bit since we only see bits and pieces of how they took control. I like my rudo maulings a bit more robust but what they actually did was really cool. 

I love how they can get away with a low blow with even two refs in the ring. Nasty bastards. Salazar hits one really beautiful dropkick. I was a little worried that was going to be the tecnico comeback but they milk it out a bit more. You get to appreciate really dickish rudo control interference. Sometimes the more brazen the better. I don't love the second fall comeback here. It came off the tecnico interference on the scorpion deathlock. That didn't really zing to me. The end of the fall itself didn't either really. It was smooth enough but not spectacular.

I love Mendoza (I think) flipping in and just getting punched in the face by Texano. Curt called the match "workrate-y" and that's really evident in the third fall. They go into a random mid-fall reply instead of showing us guys punching. That's sort of a shorthand for the match. I kind of love how the tecnicos are not afraid to kick the crap out of the rudos during submission holds here (or sunset flip them as the case may be). I think it gets a little cutesy for a hair match when you get into the spinning victory roll position drop thing to break up the submission, but then they roll right into Rocca punching like a king. He really does look good here. 

I actually really like the finish. I don't entirely get how it got down to just the two of them, but the bit to set it up when Ringo (it's ringo right?) does the perfectly poised back body press, the really beautiful looking tope (the in the ring headbutt one, not the dive) and then goes for it again and flies right into an awesome punch, followed by the cool finish. Definitely one of my favorite sequences on the set. 

I ultimately think the tone of this wasn't quite what I wanted though. That said, I think I could see it hugging the top of the bottom third, maybe? I'm glad it made set if this was the Misionarios in their natural element. For some weird reason the Misionarios sort of stooge each other during the haircut after the match.

• 3 months later...

The first fall is pretty quick and one-sided.  Salazar's backwards diving headbutt to end the second fall was pretty cool.  The third fall starts with some fun, fast-paced match-ups.  Some great slug-fests ensue.  The chubby guy plancha onto Rocca after Rocca scores a pin is rather amazing.  The finishing sequence with the roll-up pin into the submission is nice.  I couldn't tell who was who with the rudos, and the rules at the end threw me.  The crowd seemed hot, but there wasn't molten heat between the teams.  This will be about mid-range for me, despite some very cool moves here and there.

• 5 months later...

We get a clipped up first fall that Los Misionerios completely dominate. Double atomic drop onto the 3rd man's knee looked nasty. The dual submission that takes out Mendoza for the first fall looks really cool and quite painful. Liked the tease of La Estrella that we saw earlier being broken up. Signo's dive was awesome.The final submission out of that pinfall attempt feels like a really high end lucha finish to me. This was a lot of fun but hurt by the clipping and I'm not sure this gets above the bottom 3rd of my ballot.

• 2 weeks later...

Agree with the consensus here as this is a low level match on this set. Mendoza and Rocca havent exactly been my faves and they turned in another decent but not extraordinary performance in this match. Salazar couldn't convey the hate in this match like he did in the Herodes stuff so that was disappointing. Third fall was pretty generic stuff and overall I hoped for honestly a lot more from Missonares apuestas match. (***)