DVDVR Message Board

[3rd RD] MIZ vs. HARDYS

RIPPA

MIZ vs. HARDYS  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Choose One

This poll is closed to new votes

Miz got over essentially doing ECW style worked shoots in a way that actually seemed somewhat new or different than the same 20 yr old trope normally seems.  That he did it by shooting on indie/casual darling Daniel Bryan is all the more impressive because it easily could have backfired for him, but instead it made a post-show talk show must-see tv for the first time in the network's history.

I'm honestly not sure Hardy could have done the same.  Last time he was handed such a worked shoot sure thing it went horribly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Charlie M. said:

Matt had a brilliant year but Miz is getting booed against Cena because he has a healthy marriage.

If we are judging this on the health of their marriages and family i'd say that's a point for Matt also.

Queen Rebecca has some serious Piano chops.

And Miz doesn't have a King Maxel, or a Senor Benjamin, or a Vanguard 1...

1 hour ago, JonnyLaw said:

You say that as if justifying TNA's existence is a good thing.

It may or may not be, but it just shows the degree of difficulty is in the Hardys' favor.

Both Miz and the Hardys owned 2016, so that is a big part of March Madness.

The only difference- if Miz didn't perform at this high a level? Talking Smack fizzles out as just another 'meh' Network original show.

If the Hardys didn't perform at this high a level? TNA does not survive the voting period.

Matt has some very cogent, logical arguments for the Hardys, I just happen to disagree. I don't see what the Hardys did as any more ground breaking than HUSTLE! or Saitama Pro Wrestling. It was amusing to be sure, I even got on board and watched, but at the end of the day it's pro wrestling and when you build something to be so big the payoff needs to be in the ring. Even if I rank the Hardys antics equal to what the Miz did outside the ring, at the end of the day, he had better matches.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

When I saw the matchup I wanted to go "AAAAAARRRGGGGHHHH!!!"  I just can't possibly decide.  Just when I'm leaning Miz Matt D gives a helluva argument for considering Hardys.  Then when leaning Hardys I think about the actual matches and promo work Miz did.  I know why Rippa claims we all vote right away then regret it later.  I'm waiting until Thursday or Friday if possible to vote, I just can't possibly decide right now.

Weren't you at one of the Expedition of Gold matches?  How could you not vote for the Hardys?

To me that's a great argument for the Hardys drawing power on the indy scene this year.  They toured the territories and popped a lot of audience numbers with their gimmick all around the world.  They are shooting indy shows with drones, and they are making flea markets look phenomenal.  It's some of the most brilliant professional wrestling i've ever seen.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cristobal said:

Didn't Matt do a whole Talk is Jericho podcast as Broken Matt?

Yeah. If you look for it on youtube, it's under Broken Matt Hardy as there's a different one listed as Hardy Boys.

"Broken Hardys" is the closest a gimmick has come to completely salvaging unwatchable matches since "Stop The Matsunaga." The Hardys are the most hilarious and captivating misunderstanding of Lucha Underground possible. And for fuck's sake, it's not like "Matt Hardy Total Career Reinvention" is some trivial thing. He finally cashed in on the hushed tones people always spoke of his character work when he was doing the Version 1 gimmick and all that shit.

Putting it shortly, in the voting period, The Miz became perfected, but Matt Hardy wholly doubled in depth, and that's why the Hardys get my vote.

and yeah i just cited a w*ing dude so it's cool to me if the matches are bad if the gimmick work is good or memorable. I also love roll-ups, fuck finishes, and run-in spots. The Whole Thing is Wrasslin', not just the spots strikes and holds.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, SolidGoldBomb said:

Weren't you at one of the Expedition of Gold matches?  How could you not vote for the Hardys?

To me that's a great argument for the Hardys drawing power on the indy scene this year.  They toured the territories and popped a lot of audience numbers with their gimmick all around the world.  They are shooting indy shows with drones, and they are making flea markets look phenomenal.  It's some of the most brilliant professional wrestling i've ever seen.

Oh, trust me, I'm a huge fan of what the Hardys have done.   And my points in previous points ring as true as ever.  But fucking hell, I just can't simply ignore what the Miz has accomplished.  As far a matches he's had some damn good ones and there's a reason after the Ziggler matches Miz is considered a minor miracle worker.  And while his cheap promo tactics have been pointed out by Matt D, there's still the intensity in the Talking Smack promos that made me believe everything he's saying.

I just now voted Hardys but I wouldn't be mad with Miz winning.  But since they're losing I might need to formulate a little argument of my own at some point.

I don't really agree with those that are calling Miz's Talking Smack work Attitude-era worked-shoot stuff - you could maybe make that argument for the Cena stuff, but the beauty of those promos against Bryan is that he accomplished all he did while still keeping kayfabe within the SmackDown GM Daniel Bryan status quo.

The Hardys redefined the form in 2016, when every "smart" fan has seen it all and knows it all. They still managed to come out with something different.

Put it this way - if they were to put out a movie version of a "deletion" special, I'd definitely pony up the dough to go and get some popcorn and have a grand old time. If they put out a movie version of Miz "shoot" picking on Daniel Bryan for an hour and a half even though he knows the whole thing leads absolutely nowhere, I sure as hell ain't headed down to the local multiplex.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jstout said:

Put it this way - if they were to put out a movie version of a "deletion" special, I'd definitely pony up the dough to go and get some popcorn and have a grand old time. If they put out a movie version of Miz "shoot" picking on Daniel Bryan for an hour and a half even though he knows the whole thing leads absolutely nowhere, I sure as hell ain't headed down to the local Redbox.

Fixed for accuracy.  It is the Miz, after all.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, jstout said:

The Hardys redefined the form in 2016

I wouldn't go that far.  "Redefined the form" makes it sound like every promotion is constantly trying to do the same style skits or that this is how wrestling will be moving forward. WWE tried it once.

Count me in with the "the Hardys' schtick is fun but at some point the bell has to ring" camp.  You still have to work matches and the Hardys' best days in-ring are well behind them.  The name on the marquee is still wrestling and hopefully, at some point, you can't just keep voting for Youtube videos. 

The best influence the Hardy's could have on WWE would be if it caused them to give everyone on the roster a GoPro one month a year and told them to go film vignettes that they think would get them over.

Most will be atrocious, but a lot of them would be inspired and then should become the writing templates for those people.

And Vince should never be allowed to see them or know this is happening.

• Like 2

On 3/15/2017 at 1:04 PM, Technico Support said:

Count me in with the "the Hardys' schtick is fun but at some point the bell has to ring" camp.  You still have to work matches and the Hardys' best days in-ring are well behind them.  The name on the marquee is still wrestling and hopefully, at some point, you can't just keep voting for Youtube videos. 

Luckily they are against the Miz. A third rate dollar tree Honky Tonk Man. People only think he is good, because that is how low standards have sunken. 

• Like 1