DVDVR Message Board

[3rd RD] OKADA vs. KENNY OMEGA

RIPPA

OKADA vs. KENNY OMEGA  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Choose One

This poll is closed to new votes

Okada had another Okada year doing Okada things, and was even in my favorite match of the period, but Omega really took the reigns in asserting himself as a heavyweight, and in the NJPW realm I think only Naito could lay claim to a better year.

I found Omega's ascent to stardom and the main event more compelling than Okada's (a bit stagnant) ace routine, looking at the big, snowflake-bait matches. A little further down the card, I actually think the gap is a bit wider. Though Omega's shtick grates at times, he seems to try to make random multi-man tags at least interesting. More often than not, I'm entertained. Since I'm paying New Japan to stream everything, it all adds up. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Matt D said:

If someone can suggest a match with either that they think I'll actually like, I'll watch it, but I don't think anyone can.

Check out Omega's match with YOSHI-HASHI, his first match from the G1 to see him have an incredibly compelling match with a man that could be described as the very definition of milquetoast and uninteresting (granted this was the start of YOSHI-HASHI's improvement in my eyes). Omega takes him completely way too lightly, doesn't want to be there and slowly realizes he's done gone fucked up. Great storytelling with a bit of Omega zaniness and one of my favourite matches from last year. Definitely went under the radar. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Matt D said:

If someone can suggest a match with either that they think I'll actually like, I'll watch it, but I don't think anyone can.

Okada/Ishii from the G1 was the best match either guy had from the period, to me. Voting aside, I'd recommend anyone watch it. On balance, both Omega and Okada benefit from the somewhat abbreviated format the tournament basically necessitates, though I think Omega's run was stronger/had a little more variety.  

I like Okada, but Omega had the better year.  Granted, I'm also not the least bit annoyed by his schtick though I see why others are.  He went from a comedy/lower tier guy in past years and over time built up his credibility to the point that him as IWGP Champion isn't just a possibility but a certainty.  As for his matches he's really good at what he does and finds ways to keep me entertained.  I'll take that over Okada who is really good but isn't what I'd necessarily call charismatic.  Omega gets my vote.

2 hours ago, Beech27 said:

On balance, both Omega and Okada benefit from the somewhat abbreviated format the tournament basically necessitates, though I think Omega's run was stronger/had a little more variety.  

I hadn't really thought that much about why I enjoyed some of the G1 stuff last year more than I usually enjoy New Japan but this is probably right on the money.

As Meltzer has pointed out frequently, Okada wrestles to his opponent's level. I believe he let Moose call the entirety of their match in Vegas last year. He's not regularly either interested or capable of elevating an opponent, whereas Omega does that consistently. He makes his opponent look great with either his selling or his stooging too. Okada's selling was on full display in the Suzuki match last month and between that and Minoru not really varying things up for such a long match, I thought it dragged way too much.

11 hours ago, Cyanide said:

Okada had another Okada year doing Okada things, and was even in my favorite match of the period, but Omega really took the reigns in asserting himself as a heavyweight, and in the NJPW realm I think only Naito could lay claim to a better year.

This ^

• RIPPA locked this topic