DVDVR Message Board

[3rd RD] JACK GALLAGHER vs. KEVIN OWENS

RIPPA

JACK GALLAGHER vs. KEVIN OWENS  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Choose One

This poll is closed to new votes

Kevin Owens best match was probably better, but his average match was almost certainly worse. He got big match opportunities and tended to let down. Anytime Gallagher was given a major opportunity to have something really cool go down, he hit it out of the park. He's also a better out of ring performer then Owens is to me, which says a good deal. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

Kevin Owens best match was probably better, but his average match was almost certainly worse.

I voted Owens because I think his work with Sami/the IC title scene early in the period was so good, but I don't disagree that the Universal title run kills his average and makes this a lot more competitive.

Gallagher doesn't have the highs that Owens had, he exposes the business by making people sell for a fucking umbrella, and everything that people hate about ZSJ could be said about him to a lesser degree.

Neither of these guys deserved to get this far, but at least Owens has some great matches in the time period.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

Gallagher doesn't have the highs that Owens had, he exposes the business by making people sell for a fucking umbrella, and everything that people hate about ZSJ could be said about him to a lesser degree.

Neither of these guys deserved to get this far, but at least Owens has some great matches in the time period.

It's all relative. Owens exposes the business more with his samey, spotty bullshit as your world champion than a mid card comedy act does using a prop.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

Everything that people hate about ZSJ could be said about him to a lesser degree.

Are you joking here? Literally the CWC reaction was Gallagher was doing all the stuff people praise in ZSJ WITHOUT doing the stuff he was doing that rankled people (spotty selling, terrible facial expressions).

• Like 1

KO fell into a groove, but it's weird people take that for KO being bad in this period. He was still good and had highs that more than topped Gallagher's. KO flat out entertained me more too and is a far better promo. I like Gallagher and he's certainly different than most wrestlers, but I think KO had the better overall year. I will admit though, that if the most recent stuff with Neville counted, then it might push me a little more towards Gallagher.

Also, I like the umbrella.

Kevin Owens got serious heel heat in 2017 with a heel turn when already a heel in a mostly comedic angle. If that were easy, just look over on Smackdown to see the people cheering that shit head Dolph Ziggler for his heel turn. 

I agree with the idea that Gallagher gets a pass on stuff that people tore ZSJ for in the CWC, such as the Paradise Lock and cutesy spots because he's lovable. Gallagher is really good, so I get why this is close but I'm going with KO. 

• Like 2

I submit this as evidence.  Kevin Owens wins the Universal title. He is literally so good at selling the angle, people LEGITIMATELY BELIEVED he didn't know he was winning.  

Gallagher is a great wrestler, a great performer, and a great promo.  2016-17 KO is as good, and in some cases markedly better, in all those categories.

• Like 2

I cry foul. He was so good an actor that he made people believe that he, as an actor portraying a pro wrestler, did not know that he was going to be granted a belt? That's Meryl Streep breaking character in the middle of a movie to wink to everyone that she's absolutely surprised that they're giving her the Oscar! That's meta bullshit that is part of the problem in wrestling, not the solution.

...or I can characterize it this way to stay in character. 

KO is in the ring, Rollins is coming in with HHH and he thinks he's absolutely dead meat. Then his entire worldview is shaken to its core as HHH lays out his prodigy.  He doesn't know what to do, so he has to decide if after he covers he's next or if everything he's worked for is literally being handed to him.  He doesn't actually believe he's finally won until the 3. 

Everything he's given up, sacrificed and worked for has just been fulfilled. 

And he cannot believe it was that easy.  

All of that, being communicated without any words, is god damned difficult. That's (among the reasons) why I believe he's a transcendent performer.  

The story works on two levels:  The Prizefighter Kevin Owens cannot believe it's finally happened and he's overjoyed.  Kevin Steen, the fat guy from the indies playing Kevin Owens, has just climbed Mount WWE, and he never expected to be taken up in a luxury helicopter. 

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

...or I can characterize it this way to stay in character. 

KO is in the ring, Rollins is coming in with HHH and he thinks he's absolutely dead meat. Then his entire worldview is shaken to its core as HHH lays out his prodigy.  He doesn't know what to do, so he has to decide if after he covers he's next or if everything he's worked for is literally being handed to him.  He doesn't actually believe he's finally won until the 3. 

Everything he's given up, sacrificed and worked for has just been fulfilled. 

And he cannot believe it was that easy.  

All of that, being communicated without any words, is god damned difficult. That's (among the reasons) why I believe he's a transcendent performer.  

The story works on two levels:  The Prizefighter Kevin Owens cannot believe it's finally happened and he's overjoyed.  Kevin Steen, the fat guy from the indies playing Kevin Owens, has just climbed Mount WWE, and he never expected to be taken up in a luxury helicopter. 

I very much dig this take on that moment.  Only a couple years back, guys like Kevin Owens would be lucky if they got to be one of the four security guards Triple H takes out in the opening segment of RAW.

Now Triple H wipes out Vince's anointed Future of the WWE (TM) to leave the title up for grabs between Tyler Black and Kevin Steen, and ultimately dumps the Crossfit-hewn one for the guy with the gut and scraggly beard and bad skin.  That stuff doesn't happen in Owens' world, and he reacts accordingly.

• Like 2

• RIPPA locked this topic