DVDVR Message Board

Rest of 2017 Wrestling Merch Thread

The sideplates are are a replica thing - if they have unique sideplates for each superstar, they can sell them as accessories to the belts. It's smart. Pretty belts might be pretty but they aren't necessarily going to make money.

• Like 1

The point is that the most recent championships (as in, the Spinner belt all the way to the current giant logo) all feature WWE's logo front and center. Big Gold? Nope. Winged Eagle or the one from the late 90s/early 2000s? Barely noticeable unless you pay attention.

Their belts are walking billboards for the company. The "cool" looking ones from a bygone era just look like wrestling belts. It doesn't scream "WWE". Maybe that's why you like it, but that's probably exactly why they hated it and other belts like it.

Vic, you would be pissed anyhow if there were sideplates on the BGB. The point is that they were leaving money on the table and now they aren't. And anyone that is all that upset about the lack of "classic" belts might grouse on a message board, but they aren't going to stop supporting the brand. Even with all the negative things you have to say about Vince and the company, you're still paying attention.

It's worth noting that I don't disagree with you - those belts are fucking ugly. But we aren't the target market.

Its not ugly because of the logo (though the logo is very ugly), its just a shitty design. I also notice since they dropped big gold, a lotta athletes are anxious to hold up the current belts. 

And the older belts don't look good because they are wrstling belts (because the current ones are too), they just have better designs. 

1 minute ago, MORELOCK said:

Vic, you would be pissed anyhow if there were sideplates on the BGB.

Not really, I didn't care they added the logo to it. Who notices side plates?

2 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

And anyone that is all that upset about the lack of "classic" belts might grouse on a message board, but they aren't going to stop supporting the brand. Even with all the negative things you have to say about Vince and the company, you're still paying attention.

I give them no money that does not give a wrestler a royalty. hat means I might get a shirt or a figure possibly since I know a talent gets some money. I dropped the network (stole a password in case I need to watch something), deleted the app off my PS3 after Mania and unsubscribed the youtube channel. 

And you do know people in WCW use to spout that "people complain but still watch" cliche even as a ton of people quit watching. 

28 minutes ago, Victator said:

Not really, I didn't care they added the logo to it. Who notices side plates?

I give them no money that does not give a wrestler a royalty. hat means I might get a shirt or a figure possibly since I know a talent gets some money. I dropped the network (stole a password in case I need to watch something), deleted the app off my PS3 after Mania and unsubscribed the youtube channel. 

And you do know people in WCW use to spout that "people complain but still watch" cliche even as a ton of people quit watching. 

Haha! US, Vic! WE notice sideplates! Come on! You're in wrestling nerdtopia.

And you may have dropped the Network, but I seriously doubt that the look of the belts was a significant influence on that decision. You're just unhappy with the overall product.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

They're getting new IC and US titles, so, they might have them shortly. They've been ready since autumn, and will debut when they see fit. They're modifying the tag belts to have removeable side plates as well. 

First I've heard about this. Thanks.

4 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

The U.K. belt has been the best belt they've come up with in recent time. Not counting the classic/current IC, which is great and will hate when they ditch it for the new one. 

I second this.

1 minute ago, MORELOCK said:

Haha! US, Vic! WE notice sideplates! Come on! You're in wrestling nerdtopia.

And you may have dropped the Network, but I seriously doubt that the look of the belts was a significant influence on that decision. You're just unhappy with the overall product.

Honestly it was more mistreatment of current and former talent. I think they could do more to provide royalties for footage on the network.* That was mixed in with being unsatisfied with poor creative choices (which I think goes along with the ugly belts) and unhappiness with service on the network with stuff that is digitized but not uploaded.

*I would be willing to pay more for the network if I knew current and former talent were being compensated. 

5 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

Belt designs are a big deal to Vic. It's why he switched to sansabelt slacks. 

• Like 1

Lots of athletes used the Big Gold Belt on their own (I think Ben Wallace buying replicas for the entire 2004 Pistons started it) so then WWE decided to jump on that train and give teams title belts.

Naturally, though, they used the spinner belt and now the current one, not the one people actually were using organically.

• RIPPA unpinned this topic

That's a pretty great shirt for Sasha.  I wouldn't wear one, but I would imagine that selling pretty well.  Heck, put that in Hot Topic with the other wrestling shirts and I can see non-fans getting that as well.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2017 at 7:03 PM, RIPPA said:

My snarky comment in spoilers since it is about the PPV

Hide contents

So of course Vince changed his mind. MUST LOSE IN YOUR HOME TOWN!!!!!

Spoiler

Not his fault- he actually booked Bayley to win the match.

Unfortunately, Bayley was wearing something inspired by the Sharks in late-April/May, and that magically made her unable to get a win.