DVDVR Message Board

Rest of 2017 Wrestling Merch Thread

7 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

That's not quite the same thing.  That was a stereotype they gave him as a character to play.  That's a far more extreme example.

A pattern of previous behaviour is an indicator of future behaviour. WWE has a long history of giving people racist gimmicks. So if they do something that's racially a bit dodgy, and it could potentially be seen as slightly racist (or not), it's reasonable to say "This is racist, because it's coming from racist people".

• Like 2

Am I the only one who thinks Papa Shango had the potential to be an incredible gimmick? If they had a better track record with African Americans at the time, like say pushing dudes not as Zulu warriors in the late 20th century, and not pushing OMG as a black man being managed by a pimp as one big rib on Dusty, would it still be considered racist and in poor taste? 

Likely response is reposting the above gif.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Am I the only one who thinks Papa Shango had the potential to be an incredible gimmick?

Yeah I thought it could have worked. Actually in 1999, I was expecting Papa Shango to join the Ministry any day. Most likely the result of a Fred Flintstone esque head wound. 

• Like 2

On 4/5/2017 at 10:50 PM, Burgundy LaRue said:

I realize they were going for a non-wrestling look with Balor's shirt, and I'm no artist.  But that's pretty unappealing.

Unappealing? Let's try "Ugly as sin!" How about so ugly that even though I'm Irish and Finn is one of my favorite wrestlers I won't buy  one. I wouldn't be seen dead wearing that atrocity.

• Like 1

On 4/6/2017 at 10:11 AM, RIPPA said:

Just in case they weren't in the Taker thread

03634.jpg

03637.jpg

They are, but shirts that cool need to be cross-posted. How does the same company come up with something as hideous as Finn's shirt or as unimaginative as Nak's and then produce two works of art like these?

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 11:45 AM, Pete said:

newjapan2055_1.png

newjapan2055_back.png

I'm back in Vegas next month... hoping they have this or BREAK BREAK BREAK at the Fight Shop.

I might wear this all weekend in Long Beach come July.

4 hours ago, odessasteps said:

You can now get a bowling shirt featuring luchadoras as drawn by Jaime Hernandez. 

https://www.pinupgirlclothing.com/vintage-style-inspired-clothing/mens-clothing/mens-bowling-shirt-in-lady-wrestlers-print.htmlweb_13987.jpg

It's expensive,but it may just be the most beautiful thing I've ever seen...

• Like 1

On 4/5/2017 at 8:54 AM, RIPPA said:

ST504.jpg

Well, I'm buying that one for sure. Whoever said this is unappealing... it's definitely the most simple and clean shirt design they've come out with in awhile. 

• Like 1

It needs more of that soccer mom hairstyle to it, but it's pretty wild we're getting a Pop Vinyl for AJ.  I'll be sure to pick one up.  Now would it be too much to ask them to make a Bayley or Finn one?  That would be awesome.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

It needs more of that soccer mom hairstyle to it, but it's pretty wild we're getting a Pop Vinyl for AJ.  I'll be sure to pick one up.  Now would it be too much to ask them to make a Bayley or Finn one?  That would be awesome.

They've already announced one for Finn.

• Like 1