DVDVR Message Board

Rest of 2017 Wrestling Merch Thread

6 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Samurai sword and a ninja star.  Jesus tapdancing Christ.  Can't wait for the New Day "bucket of chicken and pack of Kools" shirt.

WWE: if you're non white, that's your gimmick.

I'm guessing each guy gives input on what he wants his shirt to look like, no? I mean "The Vibe" screams like something Nak would want on there.

Correct, but since I'm not the one spouting "he's a martial artist" as the reason Nakamura's shirt has the words "Orient Express" crossed out and "King of Strong Style" written in crayon, it's your lack of knowledge that is relevant to this discussion. 

• Like 2

Can we force Matt Dangerously to change his board name to Yankee Cowboy Applepie? He's American, so it makes perfect sense.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Playa Shunna Ver 3.0 said:

Brother.....if you think throwing stars were "never cool", then I have some serious doubts about your character...brother.  

Seriously that is a white noise deal. 

"Swords are not cool. Buzz,,,, Crackle..... Buzz......"

Jesus fuck... What is wrong with you guys? I'm speaking to both sides of this argument, and I consider the participants to be at the very least Internet friends... Nak's shirt is awful because shurikens and samurai swords have nothing to do with his character. FWIW shurikens and samurai swords are cool as fuck, and I've spent hours practicing with shurikens (I'm a dart player, throwing things is what I do ;-) ) It's very easy to perceive Nak's shirt as racist primarily due to the source. If NJPW made the same shirt (they wouldn't, because they usually make cool stuff and this shirt's as ugly as sin), no one would say a fucking word. Japanese nationalism IS a part of Nak's character, a rising sun logo worked into the design would be perfectly appropriate, whereas what we got screams "stereotype and laziness" if not full-blown racism. However, the main reason some of us are seeing racism in the design is entirely due to the source, WWE is not known for being the most culturally sensitive company out there, but I don't think there was any evil intent here, it's just an ugly shirt designed by people that know nothing of Japanese culture and are too lazy to do any better.

Now if they really do put fortune cookies on the Chinese guy's shirt, I'll just go hide under a rock. 

• Like 3

Nakamura is a legitimate artist too, if they wanted something weird, he'd come up with it. He had some really strange shirts at times in Japan.

54 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

Same with Asuka too, I believe. 

True that, to both. I remain sad that NJPW ignores the chubby gaijin market to this day; otherwise, I'd have a closet full of their stuff. 

On 4/4/2017 at 9:11 AM, OSJ said:

However, the main reason some of us are seeing racism in the design is entirely due to the source

Isn't that a bit of a knee-jerk reaction, though?  Is the WWE racist for letting Mickie James wear Native American garb to the ring on Sunday?  She's actually Native American, but, you know, it's the WWE.  

09.jpg

Was the WWE racist for allowing Tony Atlas to wear African garb to the ring? He's actually African American.

• Like 2