DVDVR Message Board

[2nd RD] KEVIN OWENS vs. CHARLOTTE

KEVIN OWENS vs. CHARLOTTE  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Choose One

This poll is closed to new votes

Voted KO, but it was close. I enjoyed more of KO's matches than Charlotte's, thought KO was consistently awesome at being a total dickhead all year long, and unlike Charlotte who fans naturally don't like, KO has had to repel the fans from cheering for him at times, which I think requires an added layer of skill that Charlotte doesn't quite have yet. KO has also slayed in video segments that didn't occur during TV broadcasts and he's slayed as much on Twitter. The latter of those doesn't amount to much, but every little bit counts when it's this close.

Another thing that swayed me towards KO in this particular matchup were things like the bump through all of the chairs being more devastating looking than Charlotte getting bent backwards over a handrail in the finish of the match with Sasha on Raw. Plus, although KO worked somewhat of a comedy gimmick at times that built towards one hell of a turn, that bugged me less and entertained me more than Charlotte constantly losing and then winning the title only to lose it again.

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

I definitely did mean to vote for Owens.  thanks

Fixed - though I can't change who it said you voted for so that is your Scarlet Letter as a reminder of what you did

• Like 1

Charlotte is overrated, but I voted for her because of the Sasha series which is both the worst and best thing the WWE did all of last year.  Yes it became a feud about what they could do rather than what they should do, but they were in a position so unique I can't really fault them for that.  I honestly see the Sasha/Charlotte matches as weirdly analogous to the Dynamite/Tiger Mask series but Sasha and Charlotte's matches were more likely to be good. 

I regret voting for Charlotte after looking over some of Owens' matches last year. I initially thought Charlotte's best was better than Kevin's but there was that unreal 4-way match with Zayn, Sea-saro, and Miz, and the Battleground Zayn match (yeah, I see that was in his first round linked matches) was better than the best Sasha/Charlotte matches imo. Something to keep in mind for next round. Derp. Looks like Kevin may win anyway.

The general vibe I have for Owens during the past year is that he didn't live up to expectations but I think that's truer for his time as champion rather than the period between March and August. He was in two of the better WWE matches that didn't have AJ Styles this past year, outside of Zayn/Nakamura. The Rumble match with Roman was swell until the bit where Jericho dropped a foreign object into a match that's already seen a bunch of weapons used and the Braun interference.

Charlotte had the best year of the 4 horsewomen, improved drastically in her character work, and had some very good high end stuff with Sasha, where I thought she was the more impressive of the two. Somebody made the comment that for as much as those two have worked with each other, there are still an awful lot of awkward moments. That's certainly true and an issue that shouldn't be overlooked (said the guy who voted for her).

21 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Charlotte had the best year of the 4 horsewomen, improved drastically in her character work, and had some very good high end stuff with Sasha, where I thought she was the more impressive of the two. Somebody made the comment that for as much as those two have worked with each other, there are still an awful lot of awkward moments. That's certainly true and an issue that shouldn't be overlooked (said the guy who voted for her).

I agree they got awkward at times, but I typically found that more a feature than a bug. That is, each match had a novel and unique structure, with spots they hadn't done before. Now "new" isn't "good" necessarily, and it certainly isn't "best". But I routinely admired the ambition, and I thought it came through in the matches. They always seemed desperate, combative, and yeah, a little uncomfortable. Charlotte wrestled like she wanted to kill Sasha half the time; Sasha's real injury troubles certainly contributed to that drama. But it's pro wrestling; it works best when fiction and reality fray at the edges. 

Owens and Zayn, on the other hand, always struck me as entirely comfortable with one another, for all their kayfabe hatred. They can generate snowflakes in their sleep, but I always felt that they were halfway doing that. Everything was crisp, perfectly executed, and wholly sanitized. Another Takayama/Frye punching spot won't change that. 

I see where you're coming from but I think there's a difference between organic approaches to matches and just missing spots and being awkward. Even their excellent falls count anywhere match had a few points where they were going for two entirely different things and it was just amateur looking. The Battleground Zayn/Owens match struck me as being an excellent finale to their feud because of Zayn's emotions in the closing stretches, something he didn't break out in their earlier matches or at least not nearly to that degree. I don't think they should be penalized in comparison to the Sasha/Charlotte feud because they didn't botch. 

But I feel you on there being moments where the Charlotte and Sasha matches felt "real". Like the kendo shots in the falls count anywhere match. Charlotte was fighting for her well being there and it was great. That's what should be commended imo. And I'd like to see more of that desperation from the WWE women more often because it's a quick way to nullify my criticisms I made in the Satomura/Cena thread, that they're too exhibition-oriented with their psychology at times.

• Like 1

I honestly don't get the big deal about Charlotte - she still looks awkward at a lot of times in the ring, and honestly, I think she needed more time in NXT to smooth a few things out.  She's definitely athletic and all, but not in a way that translates well to pro wrestling.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

And I'd like to see more of that desperation from the WWE women more often because it's a quick way to nullify my criticisms I made in the Satomura/Cena thread, that they're too exhibition-oriented with their psychology at times.

I suspect those tendencies were calculated attempts at justifying their status on a given card, which sometimes became transparent. Like, this spot will get a "holy shit/this is awesome" chant, so our main event slot will be earned. As they get more big matches, I think it'll seem more organic. Still, I appreciated the novelty, the appearance of... just trying shit, sometimes. (I do feel like I'm voting that way a lot, though, this year. So my biases are what they are.) 

2 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

I'm surprised this is as close as it is. 

I'm surprised I couldn't decide who to vote for since Kevin's normally a slam dunk pick.  As amusing as JeriKO was I think that really hurt him for that stretch.  But I generally like his matches even if he's coasting and voting with my heart over my head I'm voting Owens.

Just now, Matt D said:

Charlotte has very good, probably overly produced matches and a very good instinct to stay in character when things go wrong. Owens needs to wrestle like One Man Gang and doesn't.

Not jerry blackwell? 

2 hours ago, Matt D said:

Charlotte has very good, probably overly produced matches and a very good instinct to stay in character when things go wrong. Owens needs to wrestle like One Man Gang and doesn't.

Charlotte doesn't know how to improvise. That's what happens when you've only worked the WWE style from their system from the ground up.

Not a fan of either, nor of Owens' promos where he claims to be tough yet looks like the 3rd trombone in my high school's marching band, but some of the stuff he did this year was top notch. 

Charlotte has Westeros-level sloppy knotty sweaty amazing princess hair that mixes privilege with a hint of disappointment.

5f6e03f9e33ed8c4c90df463d91bb60d.jpg

Kevin Owens looks like that one fat knight who got drunk and poisoned Joffrey. Mostly disappointment with a hint of privilege.

250px-Dontos_HBO.jpg

In other words they're both kind of perfect.

• Like 2

On 3/10/2017 at 9:30 PM, just drew said:

Not a fan of either, nor of Owens' promos where he claims to be tough yet looks like the 3rd trombone in my high school's marching band, but some of the stuff he did this year was top notch. 

And you're assuming Owens has the cardio to play the trombone because.....?

• Like 1

• RIPPA locked this topic