DVDVR Message Board

Pirata Morgan, BabyFace y Cien Caras vs. La Fiera, Lizmark y Rayo De Jalisco Jr. (September 1986)

Phil Schneider

• 4 weeks later...

This is all about Babyface vs. Fiera.  Right from the opening Fiera bleeds big and Babyface is beating him around the ring area for the whole first fall.  Second fall section between them is great as Fiera is trying to fire himself up and goads Babyface in the ring but while taunting he's still staggering and almost falls over.  Technico onslaught at the beginning of the first fall is great and Fiera and Babyface really go at it back in the ring.  Ending is cool with the technicos looking to have it in the bag but Fiera missing a missle drop kick lets the rudos turn it around.  Middle of the pack match for me, and this is one hell of a pack.

• 3 weeks later...

Really really fun trios brawl that's better than the other 1986 trios matches so far. Like tim said, this is all about La Fiera vs Babyface and we get the same hatred and gore that made their hair vs hair match so great. Everyone else feels like a supporting player but they look good whenever the camera makes it's way toward them. Cien Caras vs Rayo De Jalisco is always fun at this point just due to the big personalities clashing. We get to see some huge dives from Rayo and Cien Caras takes a few pretty good bumps. Pirata Morgan does his thing but he used up most of his hatred on beating up Satanico before the match. Lizmark looks surprisingly good in a gritty story like this one. Still, Fiera vs Babyface. Man. I can't help but wonder that if this show isn't actually from September 1986 then maybe this match is part of the build up to their hair vs hair match.

In the words of AC/DC, "if you want blood, you've got it." Baby Face is hellbent to take out La Fiera and Fiera ends up juicing like a trooper. We even get a closeup of his blood on Baby Face's leg in the second fall. The tecnico rally is fun, and Fiera managing to sell being so beat up he's almost out on his feet yet still fighting fire with fire (pardon the pun) is really good. Him leaping out of the ring to spin-kick Baby right in his Face is the shit. Pirata saves Baby from his bloodening and gets pitched flat out of the ring by Rayo for his troubles, followed up by a big plancha. Then it just kind of ends. Flat finale to a pretty good match. This has to be a glitch in the timeline; Fiera has to get his revenge on Baby Face afterwards. 

• 1 month later...

Complete opposite start from the last trios. They go right to it. We get blood in the first minute. At one point I get the impression that BabyFace is pressing his hand against Fiera's skull in a way to make the blood flow more. The slam against the ring apron signage is nasty. I feel bad for Lizmark and Rayo here since they're totally ineffectual in stopping the assault on Fiera. Mainly, you feel bad for Fiera though, you know, for getting kneed in the face repeatedly. It all ends up back into the ring and Fiera is kind enough to do a flair flip to the floor for Babyface. I'm pretty sure the ref just calls it for the rudos for the first fall. 

I kind of like Caras in this match. He's a jerk, both in the initial exchange where he stood out as being intense, then with the seated senton thing onto Rayo and then running away from Lizmark at the start of the second fall. The rudos press their 3-on-2 advantage as Fiera bleeds out, until he finally manages to stumble back in, selling like a champ. He bought Rayo enough time to recover though, and he finally gets revenge on Caras. Fiera wants back in though, and he manages to get the big spin kick on BabyFace before Pirata (who really has been a non-factor so far) punches him out of the ring. I like how they teased out the comeback here. The tecnicos were fiery but outnumbered and beaten down and really had to work for it, finally with a nasty submission and a Rayo reverse body press getting the fall. 

Third fall starts exactly how it should, with a massive brawl with Fiera opening up BabyFace, I love the moment where BabyFace is so battered he's not sure where Fiera is and they just stretch out the seconds before he gets clobbered by the second rope fist. The strike exchange after that is great, with just king sized selling until BabyFace sweeps the leg and starts biting away. Then we get Rayo and Pirata doing the same. Crazy brawling is nice and all, but I love when they sell it and give it time to have meaning. Rayo dumping Pirata over the top rope and hitting a huge dive is okay too though. Fiera dies SO hard on that missed missile dropkick. I was mostly okay with the finish. Fiera wanted it too badly. The post match beating is lively. 

• 3 months later...

Anybody who didn't mark out for Rayo's hat going flying off the opening punch is a filthy Commie rat who hates baby Jesus and America. It looked like something you'd see in a goofy comedy. Fiera was just awesome here with his selling (especially when he sells the headbutt he delivers) and the build to his comeback. The start of the third fall is a blast with the action outside the ring and BF and Fiera pounding each other.

It's really a sign of how strong this DVD was when I have this match is currently ranked 3rd or 4th on it. It's alternating with the Sangre/Perro hair match.

• 7 months later...

The first fall was just a complete and utter mauling by the rudos. Fiera gets busted open less than 2 minutes in and his partners do pretty much nothing to stop the all out assault that he takes. Babyface totally brings the hate against Fiera and I wish we had more of their feud. Things really picked up after the 2nd fall and the babyfaces rally on the outside of the ring is maybe my favorite "the babyfaces finally get their shit together" trios moment so far. The finish felt kind of anti-climactic to me especially considering how long Cien Caras was in that hold before Babyface saved him and then immediately he just turned it around on Lizmark so they could end the match. This should still finish in my top half though.

• 2 weeks later...

Weird to think of a trios where Pirata takes a back seat but that happened here. Instead we got mayhem with the other pairings. I loved Jalisco's sombrero flying into the air at the onset. Babyface goes for revenge (although I may be questioning the date or his hair grew back really fast) and him and Fiera have awesome sequence after awesome sequence with Fiera bleeding a gusher. Lizmark and Pirata chip in when needed and have a good sequence at the end themselves. This was quick compared to other trios but a complete war and a blast to watch. (****)

• 1 month later...

I got a good laugh in this match as I heard the announcer say Shakespeare's name. He then said in English: "The show must go." This was when they showed the close up of BabyFace's leg with Fiera's blood on it.

• 3 weeks later...

I forgot to watch this match the first time around, but it was really easy and enjoyable.  The only problem is that I will have to manually bump down a bunch of matches on my ballot when I place this in the top 30 or so matches.  I thought this was great.  Fiera did a great job of selling.  His partners were useless to an annoying extent, stalking around, waiting to be punched, but that didn't spoil the match for me.  Everyone has done a nice job of pointing out the several fine moments in this match.  I would add to them a moment where Babyface is headbutted (I think) by Fiera and screams, them grimaces, then just looks dull and out of it.  Also, the slugfest between Babyface and Fiera, with some amazing week-kneed selling from Babyface, was a lot of fun.  The post-match abuse and mask-tearing almost makes this match seem a bit one-sided in retrospect, but overall it was good stuff, probably around top 30 for me.