DVDVR Message Board

Wrestlemania XXXIII

HumanChessgame

38 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I had this all mapped out. I was going to do some grilling while Seth/Hunter was on.  What's going to be the big 30+ minute segment that is terribly long and sleep inducing?  

The Rock and Stephanie in an evisceration-off. 

• Like 2

Blurb from the newest WON on the card (Not much in the way of new info - spoilerized for size)

Spoiler

The WWE finished its last major event, Fast Lane, prior to WrestleMania with a few minor surprises in the booking and a lackluster overall show.

In the last few weeks, there have been only minor changes to the original plans for WrestleMania. It is now, officially:

*Bill Goldberg vs. Brock Lesnar for the Universal title. Whether this is positioned last or not, this was told to us from the start as the main event on the show. Unless plans change, Lesnar will win the title. Goldberg’s contract expires with this show but they can always sign a new deal. But the reason Lesnar put Goldberg over so quickly at Survivor Series and the Rumble is that this would be the end result. Goldberg having two quick matches would indicate this also won’t be a long match.

*Bray Wyatt vs. Randy Orton for the WWE title.

*Undertaker vs. Roman Reigns. No matter what the long-term plan is as far as Reigns and a heel turn, he will be the biggest heel on the show. The finish here is very interesting. People will passionately hate the idea of Reigns winning, but if the idea is to go to Reigns as the guy to beat Lesnar (which was the plan at WrestleMania two years ago but they held back based on crowd reaction, which has only gotten worse since then), then Reigns shouldn’t lose to Undertaker at this stage of the game. Originally Undertaker was to wrestle John Cena, but Vince McMahon changed it and he has always wanted an Undertaker vs. Reigns match, for whatever reason, at a WrestleMania before Undertaker retires.

*Seth Rollins vs. HHH

*Chris Jericho vs. Kevin Owens for the U.S. title

*John Cena & Nikki Bella vs. The Miz & Maryse

*A.J. Styles vs. Shane McMahon

*Dean Ambrose vs. Baron Corbin for the IC title (this hasn’t been announced but it appears to be the direction)

*Bayley vs. Charlotte vs. Sasha Banks for the women’s title on Raw. Originally Nia Jax was in this match, and clearly with Jax having beaten Bayley and Banks in recent weeks, if she was pulled, it was a late change. They still could add her. But if she was pulled, then Banks beating her at Fast Lane at least makes sense. This is essentially the same match, except Bayley in the spot Becky Lynch had, of the three-way match that most thought to be the best match last year.

*Alexa Bliss vs. Natalya vs. Becky Lynch vs. Mickie James vs. Carmella vs. ? for the Smackdown women’s title. It was announced on Smackdown that Bliss will defend against every available woman. Natalya, Lynch and James were made clear. Naomi’s name has been mentioned in recent promos but that would depend upon her being ready by Mania, which isn’t clear. Carmella would fit the list. There could be other names as well, including Tamina, who has been working Smackdown house shows but hasn’t been put on TV, and Eva Marie, who is on the roster, but hasn’t been on television in months.

*Luke Gallows & Karl Anderson defending the Raw tag team titles. The opponents will be decided on the 3/13 Raw show in Detroit in a match with Sheamus & Cesaro vs Enzo Amore & Big Cass

*Neville vs. Austin Aries for the cruiserweight title

*Andre the Giant Battle Royal. One figures this as a showcase for Braun Strowman, with all the people on the Raw and Smackdown roster that don’t already have matches, a list that is very long. Mojo Rawley and Dolph Ziggler appear to be on it.

There are 13 matches right here, and with other entertainment, multiple New Day segments, and your various surprises whether that be Hulk Hogan or Dwayne Johnson or Shawn Michaels, that is plenty for a show scheduled to start at 5 p.m. local time and end after 11 p.m

If there is a Smackdown tag title match, Jason Jordan & Chad Gable would likely face the Usos, if not others.

The Big Show vs. Shaquille O’Neal match is officially off according to an interview with Show with ESPN. O’Neal, on his podcast, claimed different, saying he was back in discussions for doing the match. “I’ve talked to somebody high up in the organization and they, we’re back talking again. I just want the people to know it had nothing to do with me, despite what you hear.”

O’Neal blamed it originally falling apart on WWE officials, saying he was down for it. Show blamed it on O’Neal for being out of shape, claiming O’Neal weighs 440 to 450 pounds while he’s trained down to 379 pounds. Given O’Neal is taller than Show, and Show spent most of his career in the 450 range and at times topped 500, that was interesting but half of that was just trash talking to build the match if it happens. The word internally was that the match would be off started going around about two or three weeks ago.

If that bout is on, that would make it 14 or 15 matches, which would feel like too many.

Fuck, I could eat a laptop with Photoshop on it, drink some coffee, and shit out a better poster.  Clearly they just have PNG files on a transparent background for each wrestler and they just drag to a new, shitty background as fast as they can, then go get coffee like, "fuckin nailed it!" 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Good that Shane McMahon made it but not Braun Strowman

One's the second biggest draw in the company (after Goldberg) and the other is a monster that'll peak as a way to shine up some babyface before being made a comedy mid-card face with a stuffed animal that he talks to? 

• Like 1

AJ-Shane should be heelish Shane telling AJ if he beats him, then he gets added into the WWE Championship match with Wyatt and Orton. Then have a bunch of interference shenanigans during the match, featuring the likes of Road Dogg, Michael Hayes, Jamie Noble etc.. Of Course, AJ wins. 

1 hour ago, ChrisM said:

AJ-Shane should be heelish Shane telling AJ if he beats him, then he gets added into the WWE Championship match with Wyatt and Orton. Then have a bunch of interference shenanigans during the match, featuring the likes of Road Dogg, Michael Hayes, Jamie Noble etc.. Of Course, AJ wins. 

This is about the only way they could salvage that clownshoes match setup they've got these guys in so far.

Also, does it look like just about every title is going to change hands?

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

LOL What the fuck is up with the picture of Randy Orton? Like...they don't have a current picture of Randy Orton on a transparent background somewhere?

Also right behind him the weird picture of AJ.

I'm reasonably okay with this card. As far as 'manias go it's being fairly well built. It seems the main issue is guys people are down on being put in high profile matches and good wrestlers being slotted wrong. This might be the most curiously booked major show in years, but, for better or worse, there's logic involved. 

Goldberg vs Brock: Does it need the title? No. Does ANY match need the title? No.  I'm curious in how they book out of this. Do they squash Goldberg? Do they squash Lesnar? Do they risk going long with this? Does it end the show? Fascinating match. I'd put Goldberg over and have a heel Big Dog beat him the next night or right after. Honestly, imagine Goldberg winning in 30 seconds again and Steph coming out and saying 'Mania deserves a longer match and Roman comes in after beating UT. Of course, this is all dependent on Roman being heel. 

Bray vs Randy Orton: Does it need the title? No. Does ANY match need the title? No. I honestly did not pay attention to this storyline until like a month ago. I don't give a flying fuck about Wyatt but at least they're doing something with him. Randy has been sneaky good the last year and has realized his fated role to be the Edge of SD and not the John Cena of Raw. I'm mainly just looking forward to the AJ vs Randy Orton title feud that's going to carry SD for the summer after this. This match should be fine, though. Bray has been better recently and Randy is what he is. Well-built match.

RR vs UT: Might main event. Should have heat in both good and not so good ways. The Big Dog has been good on PPV and that Strowman match was pretty great. Can UT deliver one last time? This is gonna be smoke and mirrors and epic near-falls. This has to be the heel turn. Honestly, isn't this more interesting than a Taker vs Cena "End of an Era...again" match?

AJ vs Shane: Should AJ be champion? Sure. Should AJ be fighting someone better? Yep, but who? This is a lot like the year they saddled Shawn with Vince and Shawn managed to make that be a fun garbage brawl. AJ Styles is the best wrestler in the world and this is going to be the most pushed thing on Smackdown and he should come out of this as a huge babyface. This isn't great booking but should be okay. Honestly, THIS will be the highest profile match of AJ's life. You're not gonna bet on him to carry this? 

CJ vs KO: Should it be for the World title? Yes. Well built. Hope they get time. Assuming the World title is on ice after this show, this feud is going to carry Raw for the spring. 

HHH vs Seth: This could be ugly. The injury to Rollins either means this will be a smoke and mirror clusterfuck or Hunter is going to methodically work the knee and talk trash for 30. Guess which one I'm betting on?

Bayley vs her friends: This could be very good. Will the women ever get a one on one match? BTW: pretty sure Charlotte gets the last match at 'mania before the end of the decade.

The Club vs whomever: a fine pre-show match and Enzo and Cass winning the belt would be a good feel-good babyface title change in a card that looks dodgy on them.

Alexa's clusterfuck: this won't be good and should be kept somewhere in hour 1 of 9. I imagine it will be the same nonsense they did with AJ at Mania a few years ago. 

Andre Battle Royal: a lot of talent getting wasted in this but rebook the card and put people somewhere else?

Cena and his girlfriend vs Miz and his wife: these promos have been goddamn fire and Cena is going to propose mid-ring in a story that will like be second segment lead on every morning show the next day. I'm not gonna hate on Miz getting a high profile spot and Cena and Nikki aping Liz and Randy. Should Cena be doing something better? Sure, but the build to this will be fun and it should be a fun 25 minute segment. 

I dunno...the only match that looks like it could be a complete disaster is the Hunter vs Rollins match if Hunter decides to go long and Rollins is a gimp. Everything else should be kept short and energetic or has at least one good enough worker in it to keep it moving. Am I completely off base? 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Matt D said:

One's the second biggest draw in the company (after Goldberg) and the other is a monster that'll peak as a way to shine up some babyface before being made a comedy mid-card face with a stuffed animal that he talks to? 

Braun was getting (and still is) over in a way that I'm sure even WWE officials didn't expect. There COULD be money in Braun given that fact and that he's super big and super athletic. The guy is a freak. I think it's pretty ridiculous to just write him off as a random monster... 

Matches I'm interested in:

Bayley vs. Sasha Banks vs. Charlotte Flair

Chris Jericho vs. Kevin Owens

AJ Styles vs. Shane McMahon only to see what AJ can get out of Shane as Styles' is the best wrestler in the company.

The Undertaker vs. Roman Reigns just for the crowd reaction.

The Smackdown Live WWE Women's Title match.

Neville vs. Austin Aries.

That's it. Don't give a shit about the two world title matches and I feel for the full-timers replaced by the part-timers getting the big spots. I excuse Undertaker as he's a legend though it was sad seeing him in the Royal Rumble match.

I kinda feel sorry for Luke Harper. Fair enough, every fued needs a burner and he did a great job of that leading up to Orton/Wyatt but I really think he should've been shoe-horned into the main somehow. 

Saying that, I was reading an interview with him this morning and he complained about how it has been hard to standout in the Wyatt Family - here's an idea now you're out change your damn ring gear