DVDVR Message Board

Wrestlemania XXXIII

HumanChessgame

There's under a month to go and most of the card has been announced or at least heavily suggested-

Goldberg (c) vs. Brock Lesnar - Universal Title

Chris Jericho (c) vs. Kevin Owens - US Title

Bayley (c) vs. Sasha Banks vs. Charlotte Flair - Raw Women's Title

Gallows & Anderson (c) vs. Enzo & Cass or Sheamus & Cesaro (likely going to end up a 3 way) - Raw Tag Titles

Bray Wyatt (c) vs. Randy Orton - World Title

Alexa Bliss (c) vs. Nattie vs. Becky Lynch vs. Mickie James vs. Probably a returning Naomi vs. Carmella - Smackdown Women's Title

Andre the Giant Battle Royale

Not announced but likely-

The Undertaker vs. Roman Reigns

Neville (c) vs. Austin Aries - CW Title

Seth Rollins vs. HHH (pending Rollins' medical clearance)

Dean Ambrose (c) vs. Baron Corbin - IC Title

John Cena & Nikki Bella vs. Miz & Maryse

Shane McMahon vs. AJ Styles

Shaq vs Big Show is still up in the air.  Maybe they'll remember there's a tag division on Smackdown and have yet another gauntlet or clusterfuck

Not for nothing, but this is the first time in a very long time that they've actually set everything up weeks and/or months in advance.  

There's clear direction and in a lot of cases clear motivation for the angles.  

Isn't this what we've all wanted?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Not for nothing, but this is the first time in a very long time that they've actually set everything up weeks and/or months in advance.  

There's clear direction and in a lot of cases clear motivation for the angles.  

Isn't this what we've all wanted?  

Just because we can see it coming, doesn't mean it's good. 

• Like 8

And Mojo Rawley of all people is the first person announced for the Andre Battle Royal (Unless I missed something)

At least that confirms it is happening because I remember last year there was internal debate for awhile over whether it was going to happen or not

6 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

And Mojo Rawley of all people is the first person announced for the Andre Battle Royal (Unless I missed something)

At least that confirms it is happening because I remember last year there was internal debate for awhile over whether it was going to happen or not

Apollo Crews threw his hat in on Talking Smack as well.

If Big Show/Shaq happens that's 14 matches.  Hopefully that gets swept under the rug and we at least get a cruiserweight 6 man match on the preshow.  To the best of my research the preshow kicks off at 5 pm EST, so we're looking at a good 6+ hours to endure.  And most of us are probably going to watch all of it anyways.

And this fucker was supposed to have Seth/Trips on top of everything else.

Sure looks like Joe, Sami, Luke Harper, and a whole mess of Cruiserweights are set to get Braun'd in the Battle Royale, I guess. Jesus.

6 minutes ago, Cyanide said:

Sure looks like Joe, Sami, Luke Harper, and a whole mess of Cruiserweights are set to get Braun'd in the Battle Royale, I guess. Jesus.

Finn Balor too

Now if they do a multi-man ladder match - it could be IC Title and then folks like Sami, Balor, Harper can be in that

11 minutes ago, Cyanide said:

Another match I blanked on.  They're pushing Seth's return really hard, but given how many wrestlers have been out with serious injuries (including Rollins himself) in the past year or so, I'm wondering if they'll err on the side of caution and wait till Summerslam to pull the trigger on that.  Several more months of Rollins/HHH promos would be insufferable though.

36 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Finn Balor too

Now if they do a multi-man ladder match - it could be IC Title and then folks like Sami, Balor, Harper can be in that

IC Title seems to be locked into Ambrose-Corbin.   Make it a MitB briefcase and now we're talking.  

OR... make it an old school Money in the Bank and have the briefcase hold a million dollars. 

• Like 2

The actual matches aside, they've  reached a point where it would be beneficial to have Takeover on Friday night and have Wrestlemania Nights 1&2 on Saturday/Sunday. Roughly fourteen matches, plus 45 minutes to an hour of The Rock/other Attitude era guys shitting on the roster, and this card is looking more bloated than last year's brutal 6-hour slog.

I guess it looks better on paper than 32 and maybe even 31 (no way it ends up being better than 31 in practice though). Still, it's gonna be way too long and the matches that are the highest up the card are the least interesting. Goldberg/Lesnar for the U is a lose/lose situation, and the only way out of Roman/UT is a total destruction of Taker with an official heel turn that won't happen. Even if Rollins can't go, there's still gonna be a long HHH/Rollins segment, so it won't free up any room. Jericho/Owens, which is by far the best-built match will likely be short on time and/or have a non-finish while they wait for *looks at ppv schedule* Payback for the real blowoff. The CW, IC, Battle Royal, and possibly the Raw tag titles are all getting bumped to the pre-show, so there won't be anything special there.

Like I said before, for strictly wrestling reasons, I'm not too upset I had to cancel my trip.

There's not a ladder match at Mania this year yet. We know that the US title will be defended one on one, and it seems like they are headed to Corbin and Ambrose for the IC title. I originally thought they'd do the Ladder Match for the Cruiserweight Title, but signs point to AA getting a singles shot against Neville instead.  With Daniel Bryan saying "all available women on the SD roster will be in a match for the Women's Title", why not make the first ever Women's Title Ladder Match at Mania?

The problem is they did the "Superstars riding a roller coaster" poster for Summerslam a few years back, but they needed to keep the coaster they've been using in promos anyway and this was the compromise. 

Just an educated guess. It's a designer's quandry that happens sometimes. 

38 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I had this all mapped out. I was going to do some grilling while Seth/Hunter was on.  What's going to be the big 30+ minute segment that is terribly long and sleep inducing?  

It's in Florida, so you can pretty much guarantee The Rock cutting off somebody's balls that will never be able to get any kind of retribution against him.

New Day will be all over the show.

Stephanie should be somewhere on the show also cutting balls off.

Roman vs. Taker

Cena/Nikki vs. Miz/Maryse

I'd say you'll have plenty of time for grilling.