DVDVR Message Board

Wrestlemania XXXIII

HumanChessgame

2 hours ago, Hagan said:

You know, of all the years, if they had actually not played hot potato with the women's belt and built up Bayley or Sasha dethroning an undefeated Charlotte...

Hopefully Nia Jax wins the belt and plays unbeatable monster for 6 months. Charlotte, Bayley and Sasha all babyface against her and lose for months. Dana can be Nia's gatekeeper or manager.

Then Asuka comes to the rescue and beats Nia after a series of matches. Meanwhile some of the three main women transition to heel to be challengers for Asuka.

After the hot potato thing the title needs to stay on a heel for a long time to give the belt prestige again.

• Like 2

Dave's usual update on the card

For WrestleMania on 4/2, every match that was expected thus far has now been confirmed. The only announced change is that Nia Jax was added to the Raw championship four-way match with champion Bayley, Charlotte and Sasha Banks. On the 3/20 Raw, Jax was put in a match with Bayley where she’d get into the match if she won, which she did.

A Jason Jordan & Chad Gable vs. Usos match hasn’t been announced, but on the 3/21 Smackdown show in Uncasville, CT, the Usos won the titles and all signs pointed to them defending on the card. It could and probably should be a regular tag match, because adding others would only water things down, but there is the attempt to get as many people as possible onto the show. Perhaps it could be a surprise appearance by the Hardys which would explain the title change coming out of nowhere, although the Hardys are doing independent dates through the end of April.

It also appears that they are trying to keep the participants in the Smackdown women’s title match a secret, as well as if there is a stipulation involved. The graphics and angles continue to suggest Alexa Bliss defending against Mickie James, Carmella, Natalya and Becky Lynch. But they are pushing that all Smackdown wrestlers available that night will be involved, which could include Naomi, if she’s recovered from her knee injury; Summer Rae, who is training right now in Orlando for her return; Tamina, who has been on the road full-time doing house shows but hasn’t been put on television; and Eva Marie, who hasn’t been on television since she’s been doing acting gigs.

It’s also possible the teased surprises could be women stars of the past. Several were contacted many weeks ago about appearing on the show as part of a scenario that has been kept secret. Kelly Kelly is the name that has gotten out and others have been called as well. Lita recently wrestled an independent match and Lisa Varon (Victoria) is another name out there. Maria Kanellis is in the category of going somewhere in secret and most of the time when there is a destination that has to be kept a secret, that means WWE.

With time running out and no talk for several weeks, it appears that WWE and Conor McGregor couldn’t come to a financial deal. That is also likely the reason the Big Show vs. Shaquille O’Neal match fell through, leaving the show right now with 14 matches. Show was announced for the Battle Royal, killing the idea of a singles match, but Paul Levesque, on ESPN, when asked about the match and O’Neal, tried to tease that something was still alive.

Guest Edwin
7 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Am I alone in thinking that Roman goes over Undertaker clean and WWE expects he'll be "made"  instead of just booed and hated more?

I think Roman winning and Brock beating Goldberg are the obvious ways they're going to setup a SS title match between them and build it as the only 2 guys who beat Taker at WM.

Edit: To add to what you said, it'd be a horrible idea for them to think that. Beating Taker would only make people boo him and dislike him even more.

Okay 14 matches, I'm gonna guess the order:

Pre-show

Usos (c) vs. American Alpha - Smackdown Tag Titles

Andre the Giant Battle Royale (Joe wins)

Alexa Bliss (c) vs. Nattie vs. Becky Lynch vs. Mickie James vs. Carmella vs. ? - Smackdown Women's Title

Main show

Gallows & Anderson (c) vs. Enzo & Cass vs. Sheamus & Cesaro - Raw Tag Titles

Dean Ambrose (c) vs. Baron Corbin - IC Title

Neville (c) vs. Austin Aries - CW Title

Bray Wyatt (c) vs. Randy Orton - World Title

John Cena & Nikki Bella vs. Miz & Maryse (Cena/Bella proposal as the midway high point)

Chris Jericho (c) vs. Kevin Owens - US Title

Bayley (c) vs. Sasha Banks vs. Charlotte Flair vs. Nia Jax - Raw Women's Title

Seth Rollins vs. HHH 

Shane McMahon vs. AJ Styles

The Undertaker vs. Roman Reigns

Goldberg (c) vs. Brock Lesnar - Universal Title

I think those last 4 are set in stone. 

• Like 1

If they put Roman/Taker on last I'm going to laugh and laugh and laugh some more.  They might not have a choice but holy bats would that be some tone-deaf bullshit.  I would put on Goldber/Lesnar but even then WM is headlined by a 50-year-old vs. a part-timer.  My ideal option is putting AJ/Shane on last, Shane gets taken out and Nakamura's in his place.

I don't believe it, but for once in my life WWE has me considering watching pretty much anything else and considering it's WM that's sad.  But I'll be at a bar so instead of something else I'll just drink away the bullshit that is these last couple matches.

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Okay 14 matches, I'm gonna guess the order:

Pre-show

Alexa Bliss (c) vs. Nattie vs. Becky Lynch vs. Mickie James vs. Carmella vs. ? - Smackdown Women's Title

They are apparently still doing surprises for this match and if they are, they aren't wasting them on the Kickoff Show

I figure the RAW Tag Title match is more likely to be here. Especially because they will want Enzo's nonsense to get the crowd going

See, I thought that at first, but unless Kurt is going to manage AA, they're on the pre-show.  I figured you shouldn't have both tag title matches on the pre-show. 

And short of that ? being Lita, they're the most likely candidate to move down. (Followed closely by the CW title.)  Plus Enzo's stuff will work best when the stadium is full like it will be when the main show starts. No need to waste that on a half-empty stadium.  

I know that everybody's different when giving birth, but Trish gave birth a couple months ago (sometime in December I believe)  In theory if she recovered and was in shape she could be a surprise.  But I'm not counting on that, though Lita's a possibility.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Supposedly Shawn Michaels said on Sam Roberts podcast that he was offered - but turned - the match against AJ at WrestleMania

http://www.iwnerd.com/wwe-news-origi...estlemania-33/

WWE News: The Original Plans For AJ Styles At Wrestlemania 33
AJ Styles is scheduled to face off against Shane McMahon at Wrestlemania 33. This is a match that has gained a lot of criticism from fans who don’t think that they are a good pairing. After the year AJ has had, WWE fans wanted to see him face an incredible wrestler on the big stage.

It turns out that AJ Styles was originally planned to face an incredible wrestler at Wrestlemania 33, it just fell through…..

The ‘Heartbreak Kid’ Shawn Michaels appeared on the Sam Roberts Wrestling Podcast and revealed that WWE wanted him to face AJ Styles at Wrestlemania 33 but he ultimately declined.

“I could’ve had that match, they did not have an opponent for AJ at Wrestlemania”

Shawn would go on to say that he was approached to take on AJ because fans wanted to see the match. It also had to do with them not having any other plans for AJ at the time. Michaels declined, wanting to stay retired.

“I wish that man was here 10 years ago man, I really do”

I love how they didn't have a plan for the guy who had the best year in the company and that they put over John Cena multiple times but they seem to have had this shitty Bray Wyatt/Orton feud planned for months.

• Like 3

Conversely: they wanted to put the best guy in the company in a high profile match and tried to get the guy they call Mr Wrestlemania to come out of retirement in a match that would probably have closed the show. Failing that, they put him in a match against the guy that put Mania over the top last year as an enormous financial success and is booked and treated as one of the most over babyfaces from the only Era they care about.

People thinking that AJ being saddled with Shane is a burial is so absurd.

I get if you want a classic match, but barring Cena - there's no other babyface on SD that's as high profile as Shane, for better or worse. I get the idea that they should have saved Cena's title win for Mania and not Rumble but it wasn't like AJ dropped the title on an SD in Wichita. That was a big fucking match.

Anything else for AJ requires booking hurdles like calling up Nak or Joe to SD, or doing some inter-promotional match, which they're avoiding.

I've brought this up before, this is no different than them wasting Shawn that year against Vince. However, to treat this as some sort of throwaway midcard match is naive. AJ against like ANYONE else on SD would be 6th or 7th on the booking sheet.  

They've already done the Shane vs. table spot in this feud, what the heck is he going to do in the actual match?

And if AJ wins, what does that possibly lead to in terms of future booking?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

I love how they didn't have a plan for the guy who had the best year in the company and that they put over John Cena multiple times but they seem to have had this shitty Bray Wyatt/Orton feud planned for months.

That's what WWE does best.

57 minutes ago, zev said:

They've already done the Shane vs. table spot in this feud, what the heck is he going to do in the actual match?

And if AJ wins, what does that possibly lead to in terms of future booking?

I figured it's pretty obvious either he moves to Raw to headline as a babyface or stays on SD and feuds for the title with Randy or Bray. Basically, his booking and position stays exactly the same.  

Nobody here thinks it's a burial but we did want a classic AJ Styles match and felt he should probably close the show this year. But that's WWE, they don't trust their current stars because they've booked them so poorly for years. They have to rely on guys who were booked well 20 years ago.

• Like 1

Guest Edwin

What's everyone's plans for WM weekend?

I got tickets to EVOLVE 80 on Thursday, CHIKARA on Friday, ROH on Saturday and WM on Sunday.