DVDVR Message Board

Peace out Outlaw Ron Bass

Wow, I just got done watching a bunch of mid-80s Mid-Atlantic this weekend particularly his feud against Black Bart and JJ Dillon. I read so much about him in Florida and wasn't let down by his work when he arrived at JCP. Great bleeder to. 

• Like 1

I always had the theory that they put the Red X up because Brutus didn't blade enough so that was the cover.  It's really not a big deal when you watch it uncensored.  It looks WAY worse with the X though, and I'll second that it freaked me out as a kid too.  I remember fast forwarding through it when they showed it on the SummerSlam 88 tape.

I'm glad that Windham saddle angle was posted, because that's what I think made him in the territory days (that and him turning on Dusty Rhodes.)  Not quite sure if the implication then and now are quite the same.

My Ron Bass memory is literally going to a January WWF house show (featuring a Goddamn awesome Rockers/BrainBusters match, Jake/Andre headlined) and as much as I enjoyed the show, I couldn't wait to get home to see who won the SNME Beefcake/Bass Hair match.  

The funny thing is even being 11 at the time, it made no sense to me why Bass was still bald in March.

I too was digging the hell out of some mid-80's Ron Bass recently. I first saw him as a kid in the WWE(F) but came to realize as an older dude what a great worker he really was. A killer bad ass cowboy.

RIP Outlaw.

I've never seen a single match with Ron Bass so I figured I'd look up his All Japan stuff. There isn't a thing featuring him on the '80s set but I did find this

Also, there's this

which is part of his face turn against JJ

Of course I'm stupid and didn't just put "Ron Bass All Japan" into the Youtube bar initially, so here's this 

Oh and paging Eric, there's a Stan Hansen/John Nord in AJ match on Youtube for your Segunda project.

So glad to see Ron Bass remembered so well. The Beefcake attack with the Red X horrified me as a boy. Was upset the rest of the day 

Beyond that in his WWF run he was a really dependable heel. Big and ugly and could be credible but not unbeatable. 

I think this is the last angle they ever shot for Junkyard Dog.