DVDVR Message Board

[1st Rd B] MATT RIDDLE vs. JOHNNY MUNDO

MATT RIDDLE vs. JOHNNY MUNDO  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Choose One

This poll is closed to new votes

Riddle had the fortune of working with some of the "cream of the crop" amongst the indies.

Mundo's biggest matches, so to speak, involved Sexy Star.

Who worked the most magic?

On 3/4/2017 at 2:56 PM, zev said:

Riddle had the fortune of working with some of the "cream of the crop" amongst the indies.

Mundo's biggest matches, so to speak, involved Sexy Star.

Who worked the most magic?

I will paraphrase what I said in the Play-In Thread.  Anyone that has been tasked with dragging Sexy Star across the finish line is worthy of praise.

Riddle may have had extremely good quality of opposition, but no one appears to be carrying him in those matches. 

Matter of fact, the key to working with Jason Kinkaid is to have the smarts to be in the right place for JK's Hillbilly Shaolin offense to look impressive.  I voted for Matt.

That match had a lot of bells and whistles though. It's easier to have a cinematic bullshit match than one that's mostly in the ring. I think Mundo's done pretty damn well as a heel in LU, but that's mostly in comparison to how terrible he was as a face. There are things Riddle does that I love and things that I'm far less enthusiastic about. I think he'll get there so long as he doesn't personally see his bad habits as pluses in a sort of Kurt Angle/Rob Van Dam way (which is entirely possible and may, in fact, lead him to success in every metric other than how much I like his matches). I think this is harder than it ought to be, but I'm leaning Riddle. 

Damn, this one is pretty much a coin toss and that's not apathy, it's that I like both guys and during the voting period I have to look at quality of opposition and Matt worked with some of the best in the business, while Johnny was saddled with carrying one of the actively worst and getting a watchable match out of it. To be fair, no one's saying that Matt Riddle was being carried by his opponents, near as I can tell it was all pretty much 50/50 match calling. That said he was presented with fillet mignon and of course we liked it. On the other hand, via Sexy Star, Johnny had to bring out a platter of shit sandwiches and get us to say "Please sir, may we have some more?" Today, Johnny Mundo's miracle working is weighing more heavily than Matt Riddle's body of quality work. Tomorrow, I might feel the opposite

• RIPPA locked this topic