DVDVR Message Board

[1st Rd B] BAYLEY vs. JOHN CENA

BAYLEY vs. JOHN CENA  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Choose One

This poll is closed to new votes

I think I'm higher on the Bayley matches from this period than most, and I know I'm lower on those Cena/Styles matches than most people in this wrestling-loving world, so it's Bayley in a walk for me. 

8 minutes ago, Charlie M. said:

Cena wasn't around much but when he was, he delivered big time in the ring and on the mic.

Between Bayley having a weaker year than last year where she owned everything and how on fire Cena was through his stuff (he mostly fought Styles, yes, but he and Styles could get 4.5+ in their sleep)?

Even if you're a Bayley fan, there is no shame in losing this one to Cena. 

The t-shirt sales are high in this pairing.

Cena's destroying Miz on the mic to set up a mixed tag match at Mania.

Bayley's trying to look happy while hanging out with Cesaro and Sheamus building and broguing snowmen.

Fun stuff all around.

5 hours ago, maciej said:

I think I'm higher on the Bayley matches from this period than most, and I know I'm lower on those Cena/Styles matches than most people in this wrestling-loving world, so it's Bayley in a walk for me. 

Yeah I wouldn't say in a walk, but that's how I feel. Cena had some good matches against the best wrestler in the world, but I didn't even like the Summer Slam match that much. Cena does still bring the big match atmosphere like nobody else and is great on the mic. I wish Bayley was on SDL.

I absolutely loathed the Cena/Styles series after the first one. Like, the 3rd one everyone got so jazzed at at the Rumble was my official realization that "Okay, maybe what the average wrestling fan wants online is just not for me. That's cool". Cause it felt like had no real build to finisher spam, but the finisher spam was so "jaw dropping" everyone was going gaga and I was just left completely cold. So I've enjoyed my time going back and working on RoH project a lot because it's clear modern wrestling at this point isn't super for me, even though I liked AJ a lot in his matches against not Cena.

So, basically, Cena went from "guy I liked that smart marks hated beacuse he got less is more" to "guy I really disliked while smart marks like him because he just does too much shit for me" in the span of a decade. Wrestling, man.

Yeah rewatching the last one that lack of build really left me cold. There were things about it I really enjoyed, like the Cena clotheslines, but they seemed to realllllly quickly get to a level we're both guys were (work) exhausted and selling this epic match when they hadn't really worked for it yet.

So am I the only person that liked none of anything Cena did this year except his subtle story telling? Like his matches were great and all, but he worked with an ambitious Ambrose, and AJ Styles. Like...super Cena was the low point in all of his matches It's whatever I guess, but I definitely would not put him over Bayley.

• RIPPA locked this topic