DVDVR Message Board

[1st Rd B] MIZ vs. RUSH

MIZ vs. RUSH  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Choose One

This poll is closed to new votes

Two awesome heat machines and two of the most punchable faces in all of wrestling square off. Miz had fantastic year, mostly due to his promos and Talking Smack appearences, while Rush was coasting a little and wasn't as good as he was in previous years. Still voting for Rush as his Park stuff was amazing and he is easly the best dick in all of wrestling, when he wants to be. Plus this luscious hair.

Miz's Talkin' Smack promo coupled with the match with Ziggler that followed right after was one of the greatest moments in recent wrestling history not just for the quality but for how the two moments created a discussion about modern wrestling style itself.

He essentially brought into the product itself the troubling and seemingly impossible topic of how the style workers think is necessary to hold modern crowds is killing their careers AND made the claim that it was a false theory and one COULD work a safe style and hold a crowd if you do your homework and study the art AND then went out that weekend and DID IT to prove his point.

That match was astounding in that it disproved so much of what is assumed is necessary to work a crowd today. The psychology was so great I was absolutely transfixed even though there were no dangerous spots being thrown away for no purpose. This was a ZIGGLER match where the only bump to the floor I think was a slow safe one by Ziggler holding on to the top rope.  This was a Ziggler match that had one very loose superkick (plus one that missed and one blocked), No suicides, etc.  There were a lot of moves that technically looked bad (not stiff, not connecting) but I was so invested in the storyline of the match I didn't care. There was a terrible fameasser but I totally bought into it even though it looked really loose.

It was literally a manifesto in words and then actions on a pretty serious and important topic and should be a masterclass for everyone in that locker room on how to work well and keep themselves healthier.

And that on top of that, that this master class was delivered to all these more gifted, talented, "superior workers" who looked down on the guy for years while they were stupidly clowning their ouwn damn bodies for peanuts, is glorious. It reminds me of one of my favorite quotes from COLUMBO, when Theo Bikel is playing an arrogant super genius and is being outsmarted by this rumply city employee:

You know, sir, it's a funny thing. All my life I kept running into smart people. I don't just mean smart like you and the people in this house. You know what I mean. In school, there were lots of smarter kids. And when I first joined the force, sir, they had some very clever people there. And I could tell right away that it wasn't gonna be easy making detective as long as they were around. But I figured, if I worked harder than they did, put in more time, read the books, kept my eyes open, maybe I could make it happen. And I did. And I really love my work, sir.

MIZ!

• Like 12

If Miz had had all the talk segments he had this year, but still wrestled like Miz of a few years ago, I'd probably be leaning Rush, even in a down year for him, but post brand-split Miz's matches were actually something you wanted to see.

Damn, Piranesi!  How could you not vote Miz after reading that post?  Well done, sir.

I'd try to give whatever reason for why I'm voting Miz, but screw it just go back and read his post.  I love Rush but this isn't even close.

What Piranesi said...  If you told me two or three years ago that I would come to consider the Miz one of the most entertaining wrestlers on the planet, to say nothing of a guy that "get's it" as well as anyone in the business ever has, I'd have laughed. Now, I'm looking forward to watching the MIz do his thing for another twenty years and working smart as he does, there's no reason he couldn't do so. If he had done nothing but the exchange with Daniel Bryan, he'd deserve the win.

• RIPPA locked this topic