DVDVR Message Board

Heartbreaking Deaths in Movies/TV (SPOILERS)

Thomas Bugg

It's funny, you wonder: Was it over when Tony when he killed Ade? When he killed Tony B? When he killed Christopher?

All tragic and sad deaths. 

But as Carmella's shrink pointed out before all that stuff happened: "The only way your husband can redeem himself is to turn himself into the police." 

But he was never going to do that.

12 hours ago, Reed said:

Adriana's death on The Sopranos was genuinely said. She was the only innocent character in the whole thing.

Adriana innocent?  She grew up around the family & despite knowing what's what then got involved with Christopher, having no problem availing herself of everything his blood money could provide.

16 hours ago, Reed said:

It's funny, you wonder: Was it over when Tony when he killed Ade? When he killed Tony B? When he killed Christopher?

All tragic and sad deaths. 

But as Carmella's shrink pointed out before all that stuff happened: "The only way your husband can redeem himself is to turn himself into the police." 

But he was never going to do that.

His killing Tony B was a mercy killing. He didn't know what hit him. Yeah, he might've done it himself to mess with Phil, denying him the chance to get revenge himself, but Phil would've probably tortured him. Tony B had to go, and that was the most humane way to do it.

This past Wednesday's episode of The Expanse on Syfy was the first time in a while I've gotten misty while watching something on television.

Spoiler

Long story short, refugees from an attack on a colony of one of Jupiter's moons were separated into two groups:  people born on Earth and Mars and people born on the asteroid colonies (Belters).  The refugee ship was crewed by Belters.

The terrestrials were given food and water and told that they would be transferred to another vessel that would take them to their homeworlds.

That was a lie.  The terrestrials were put in airlocks and spaced by the Belters.  Years of oppression by Earth and Mars on the Belt are naturally answered by cruelty inflicted on innocent citizens.

The last thing you see before the episode cut to commercials is a woman dying in the vacuum and frost forms in her mouth because the water vapor from her exhalation is crystalizing in her lungs due to the near absolute zero cold in space..

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Meltzing Pot said:

His killing Tony B was a mercy killing. He didn't know what hit him. Yeah, he might've done it himself to mess with Phil, denying him the chance to get revenge himself, but Phil would've probably tortured him. Tony B had to go, and that was the most humane way to do it.

It wasn't just a mercy killing. Look at it through mafia business eyeglasses: he betrayed Tony by doing the hit without consulting him or thinking about the repercussions on the family, which led to a massive shitstorm. Also, Tony tried to get him out and he stayed in. Ego, ego, ego. 

I will now take off my own Dr. Melfi psychoanalysis eyeglasses

• Like 1

Are we looking for Tony's moral event horizon for us, the audience? Or his own personal MEH? Cause those are two different things.

Also now I'm really thinking about re-signs watching Sopranos after I finish Iron Fist. At least the first couple seasons that were damn near perfect television. But I probably couldn't stop there 

On 17/03/2017 at 3:11 AM, Spaceman Spiff said:

Adriana innocent?  She grew up around the family & despite knowing what's what then got involved with Christopher, having no problem availing herself of everything his blood money could provide.

I don't think she ever really got just how bad things were. She thought it was mostly about short cuts or bribing some cops or getting things that fell off the back of a van.

She genuinely believed Richie and Pussy went into the Witness Protection Plan when it was obvious to everyone they were murdered. Even the Feds rolled their eyes at her naivety. 

To quote from one critic: "Carmella turns a blind eye; Adriana is just blind."

She was a bit of a fool, really. And she loved Christopher way too much.

On 3/11/2017 at 5:14 PM, Matt788 said:

The day those Hasbro bastards killed Optimus Prime.

...and the throwaway deaths of Prowl and Ironhide. As  child I was legit scared that they would end the movie with a Bumblebee crucifixion scene. I loved that movie but that was just a heart stomping thing to do to a kid who religiously watched G1 pre movie episodes.  

Could you imagine if Meowth and Team Rocket showed up at Ash's house and carelessly slaughtered charmander and bulbasaur before a heart wrenching Pikachu death scene? No? ...TFTM was the king of unnecessary and sad death scenes. They kill less people in horror movies.

The closest I've ever come to seeing something similar to the reaction of a theater full of kids to Optimus' death is when I took my youngest brother and two cousins to see Pokemon the Movie and Ash gets turned into stone via getting in the middle of Mew and Mew-To's psychic blasts. There was the initial shocked gasps, but when Pikachu turned on the waterworks... Hol. Lee. SHIT.

I know it's a series that's had quite a few main character deaths, but Lucy Knight's from ER hit me pretty hard because I had started to really like the character and Dr. Romano's frantic attempts to save her after her condition nosedived probably humanized him more than damn near anything else did with him up to that point.

• Like 2

On 18/03/2017 at 5:36 AM, Curt McGirt said:

It wasn't just a mercy killing. Look at it through mafia business eyeglasses: he betrayed Tony by doing the hit without consulting him or thinking about the repercussions on the family, which led to a massive shitstorm. Also, Tony tried to get him out and he stayed in. Ego, ego, ego. 

I will now take off my own Dr. Melfi psychoanalysis eyeglasses

Tony was being genuine when he said he didn't want Tony B to suffer. I believe that. 

But, like, you say: There was a control and power issue there as well. He was furious at him and knew he had to pay.

One of the show's weirdest murders in terms of motives.