DVDVR Message Board

Heartbreaking Deaths in Movies/TV (SPOILERS)

Thomas Bugg

Even as an adult there are some deaths in movies or TV that just downright tug at your heartstrings. 

I must've seen Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan a million times and I still can't watch this scene without bawling like a baby. Spock made the ultimate sacrifice, then the moment that Bones says, "Jim, I think you better get down here." and the music that hits.....

....excuse me for a second......anyone got Kleenex?? :'(

As if that wasn't saddening enough, in Rocky III this happened.....

• Thomas Bugg changed the title to Heartbreaking Deaths in Movies/TV (SPOILERS)
  • 2 weeks later...

The day those Hasbro bastards killed Optimus Prime.

...and the throwaway deaths of Prowl and Ironhide. As  child I was legit scared that they would end the movie with a Bumblebee crucifixion scene. I loved that movie but that was just a heart stomping thing to do to a kid who religiously watched G1 pre movie episodes.  

Could you imagine if Meowth and Team Rocket showed up at Ash's house and carelessly slaughtered charmander and bulbasaur before a heart wrenching Pikachu death scene? No? ...TFTM was the king of unnecessary and sad death scenes. They kill less people in horror movies.

• Like 5

Hasbro also killed Duke in the original draft of G I Joe the movie. It was changed at the last minute.

Maybe Hasbro can make a Spiderman movie where Doctor Doom murders the avengers in a cool anime style hair-metal orgy of violence . Spiderman is then replaced by  Spider clown because it is cheaper to produce Spider clown toys. They can also add Iron clown because Iron man got killed in a 12 second cameo after an uplifting Stan Bush rock classic.

I contacted Hasbro about the cocaine issue. They said it wasn't cocaine, it was ayahuasca soaked bath salts.

• Like 1

Like most 80s kids who was (and still is) a major Transformers mark I wept in the theater when he died.  What was even more disturbing was the season 3 episode featuring some of the Autobots getting stranded in the mausoleum ship and finding that the Quintessons reanimated Optimus Prime as a zombie to do their bidding.  Then he slowly got blown to pieces which was even more graphic than his original death scene.

• Like 2

I didn't like the Lost finale but Jack's death always sorta got to me.

I think it was the way the dog was the only one left to comfort him in the end. 

Bauer flipping out when Terri died on 24 was also rather sad. He thought everyone was OK when he got back to CTU. Kim's fine, Palmer's alive, the bad guys have been stopped...but then he slowly realizes something is very, very wrong.

• Like 2

So yeah, Logan.

Spoiler

I was okay when Logan actually died (I'm surprised I made it through the part after Logan passed away where Laura was weeping and kept calling him, "Daddy"), but when Laura took the wooden cross at the head of his grave and turned it into an X, I was totally fucking done.

• Like 2

I was about to nominate Dexter for...

Spoiler

the death of his wife

but then I remember the rest of that fucking awful series and I cease to care. There should almost be an anti-thread to this one where it's movie/tv deaths that TOTALLY miss the mark or are kneecapped by the rest of the movie or series. My lead post for that because I wouldn't even care to spoiler it is the death of Dexter's sister because it's so dumb.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer had oodles of deaths. The most mundane was the most tragic.My nomination is Joyce Summers, who died from a brain tumor.

And Anya's reaction. Since she's been a demon for hundreds of years, she just doesn't get "death".

• Like 2

After much thought it comes back to this, Lt. Col. Henry Blake in M*A*S*H*, it's been many, many years and this still guts me every time I see it. Probably the most perfect thirty-odd seconds in television, from Radar's perfect delivery to Hotlips weeping as she performs surgery, just an incredible scene.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Gonzo said:

I think we've had threads like this before, and this is my entry every time.

I think that's the only Futurama episode I refuse to see again, I've only seen it the once way back the first time on FOX, and its enough. .  

I don't think that particular death is as painful as another specific character's in the series (to me, at least) but wow does that send you down the rabbit hole of Boardwalk Empire character deaths. The Richard Harrow murder spree might be the most beautiful piece of splatter cinema since Argento fell off. 

You can't force me to watch that Futurama episode again unless it's at gunpoint. 

Adriana's death on The Sopranos was genuinely said. She was the only innocent character in the whole thing. Even Meadow sold out by the end. ("Dad, the FBI only hate you because you are Italian-American!") 

Adriana was just too dumb and too innocent. It's horrifying when she realizes just what is about to happen. She's scrambling and terrified.

And Tony's 1000-yard stare at the end suggested even he knew he'd crossed a line. 

12 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Anya's speech in The Body is the single most emotionally devastating thing I've ever seen in a TV show or movie. I can't get through it to this day without crying.

My dad died of a heart attack in front of me about three years ago. 

I can honestly tell you: That episode is stunningly accurate about how bizarre and surreal such a situation is.  

Like Buffy going out of her way to be nice to the ambulance people.