DVDVR Message Board

Another Attempt at a MARCH Wrestling Thread

RIPPA

So the new Japan Long Beach site posted ticket info. On sale April 1, $150-$30. For $30 it says row 17, so they must've booked one of the tiny venues there to start. The two largest venues are 5500 and 13,500 capacity. I thought for sure they would start with the 5500 capacity venue. This is going to be a nightmare drop. 

Remember when WWE's Divas division was still largely models and you had the odd bikini match etc. etc. while TNA had the Knockouts having competitive matches that drew decent ratings and it seemed like they were so far ahead of WWE?

Tonight, right in the middle of WWE making a real conscious effort to have their female wrestlers wrestle and pushing them into main events and the like, TNA had a match between Rebel and ODB which had the spot where Rebel threatens to slap Earl Hebner, who instead grabs Rebel and kisses her against her will, before sharing a drink and kiss with ODB which knocks him almost unconscious.  In 2017.  Seriously.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, matt925 said:

So the new Japan Long Beach site posted ticket info. On sale April 1, $150-$30. For $30 it says row 17, so they must've booked one of the tiny venues there to start. The two largest venues are 5500 and 13,500 capacity. I thought for sure they would start with the 5500 capacity venue. This is going to be a nightmare drop. 

Do you think it's going to be super tough to get seats? I didn't think it was going to be too bad. All I know is that my 7 year old is going to be PISSED if he misses seeing Tanahashi.

56 minutes ago, grilledcheese said:

Do you think it's going to be super tough to get seats? I didn't think it was going to be too bad. All I know is that my 7 year old is going to be PISSED if he misses seeing Tanahashi.

I'm hoping for more info from meltzer or somewhere before tickets go on sale. But usually when you buy tickets they are listed in sections like floor, lower bowl etc. This very specifically says the cheapest tickets are row 14-17, which is insane. 

Lbcc has a number of venues with capacities from 900 to 13500. This has to be one of the small ones. I'm sure if it sells out quickly they will move to one of the bigger venues. The lbcc site doesn't yet show anything for those dates. 

People are going to be traveling to these shows (like myself from the Bay Area) so I'm certain the way they have it now will sell out instantly, and my gut was they would end up with 8-9k per night. 

Of course who knows but 17 rows is going to sell out instantly. Can't believe they haven't gauged interest better. Hopefully there is more info before April 1.

Meltzer was talking about this a few times over the past months and guesstimated ~5000 for a ballpark number IIRC. I really don't see them doing more than that and would be really surprised if they managed that much. I was hoping to go down for the shows with a buddy from Vancouver but that's looking unlikely now.

1 hour ago, caley said:

Remember when WWE's Divas division was still largely models and you had the odd bikini match etc. etc. while TNA had the Knockouts having competitive matches that drew decent ratings and it seemed like they were so far ahead of WWE?

Tonight, right in the middle of WWE making a real conscious effort to have their female wrestlers wrestle and pushing them into main events and the like, TNA had a match between Rebel and ODB which had the spot where Rebel threatens to slap Earl Hebner, who instead grabs Rebel and kisses her against her will, before sharing a drink and kiss with ODB which knocks him almost unconscious.  In 2017.  Seriously.

One of the difficulties Impact has is that two of their biggest historic successes were the Knockouts and the X-Division. But WWE has pushed female wrestlers hard (and has signed a whole bunch - I still can't quite believe Heidi Lovelace is in NXT), and there's a lot of CW matches (6 a week by my count, though half of them are sub-5 minutes). Impact is not in a position to compete in either regard (sorry Trevor Lee, you're great obv).

The Grand Championship was potentially an opportunity to create a fresh style, but they haven't really been able to make that work yet. Guess we're back to Reverse Ladder Matches!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Meltzer was talking about this a few times over the past months and guesstimated ~5000 for a ballpark number IIRC. I really don't see them doing more than that and would be really surprised if they managed that much. I was hoping to go down for the shows with a buddy from Vancouver but that's looking unlikely now.

It's tough to really predict but I'd think with these being "historic" shows they could do 2k locals from the la area. So how successful they are will be based on how many travelers there are. It's so much easier for English speakers to go to a show in la than in Japan, so I have to think there will be a lot of die hard fans traveling. Plus it's la so you can make it part of a real vacation. 

Who knows but I say 5k is the floor, and it could end up at 8-9k. Just my gut feeling, we shall see. 

3 minutes ago, Sin Carne said:

One of the difficulties Impact has is that two of their biggest historic successes were the Knockouts and the X-Division. But WWE has pushed female wrestlers hard (and has signed a whole bunch - I still can't quite believe Heidi Lovelace is in NXT), and there's a lot of CW matches (6 a week by my count, though half of them are sub-5 minutes). Impact is not in a position to compete in either regard (sorry Trevor Lee, you're great obv).

I'm not asking them to compete with WWE's roster (Though they could do a better job of it if they built it around their most capable wrestlers in Rosemary, Allie, Sienna and LVN), I'm not asking them to not do outdated "They're women so the ref is going to do silly spots where he kisses them so it's funny" spots are so old-fashioned and offensive.  Earl Hebner (kayfabe) forcing a female wrestler to kiss him is so not okay in 2017. 

• Like 1

Yeah

5 minutes ago, caley said:

I'm not asking them to compete with WWE's roster (Though they could do a better job of it if they built it around their most capable wrestlers in Rosemary, Allie, Sienna and LVN), I'm not asking them to not do outdated "They're women so the ref is going to do silly spots where he kisses them so it's funny" spots are so old-fashioned and offensive.  Earl Hebner (kayfabe) forcing a female wrestler to kiss him is so not okay in 2017. 

But when break it down you are asking them to attempt to compete with WWE's roster, broadly speaking - which they basically can't do. I'm not defending the shit you describe, but it's logical. Same reason having the X belt on the 21st Century Scotty 2 Hotty for months made logical sense.

Impact is basically not ok in 2017.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, matt925 said:

I'm hoping for more info from meltzer or somewhere before tickets go on sale. But usually when you buy tickets they are listed in sections like floor, lower bowl etc. This very specifically says the cheapest tickets are row 14-17, which is insane. 

Lbcc has a number of venues with capacities from 900 to 13500. This has to be one of the small ones. I'm sure if it sells out quickly they will move to one of the bigger venues. The lbcc site doesn't yet show anything for those dates. 

People are going to be traveling to these shows (like myself from the Bay Area) so I'm certain the way they have it now will sell out instantly, and my gut was they would end up with 8-9k per night. 

Of course who knows but 17 rows is going to sell out instantly. Can't believe they haven't gauged interest better. Hopefully there is more info before April 1.

Yeah, that's my big worry, since I am travelling from Northern CA as well. If it does end up selling out and they don't push it into one of the larger houses, I'll probably end up going to San Diego and watching the Dodgers - Padres games on those days, since I already have lodging down there that I've had booked since the dates for these shows got announced.

11 hours ago, Peck said:

Not enough love for this.

I'm a mental healthcare provider, in direct client contact for therapeutic intervention services, and, while burnout is a daily thing, I get jazzed by people doing well.  So this made me happyoptimistic today.

• Like 9

10 hours ago, grilledcheese said:

Just wanted to point that A. I hope you're able to get tickets and B. It's really awesome your 7-year-old likes Tanahashi.  I can only hope when I have a kid to bring them up on cool wrestling.  Thankfully my wife absolutely approves this.

If I lived in Knox County I'd very much vote for Kane.  He seems like a really smart guy and I think he'd do a great job.  Somebody alert Tom Lawlor though, I'm sure he'd move there in a heartbeat just so he can vote for him.

And I feel for Mauro, can't imagine what that must be like.  But glad that he's doing okay and I can't wait for him to return.

2 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Just wanted to point that A. I hope you're able to get tickets and B. It's really awesome your 7-year-old likes Tanahashi.  I can only hope when I have a kid to bring them up on cool wrestling.  Thankfully my wife absolutely approves this.

Thanks for the good vibes, I hope I can get them as well. Yeah, I think it's way cool that he likes Tanahashi as well. I think it's a combination of the fact that he is such a cool looking dude, great hair and swag ring jackets and that he is a stud in the ring. He has weird taste in wrestlers, it's like a pretty even split of your typical babyface guys, like most young folks would be into, and then he's all jacked up on Baron Corbin, Samoa Joe and Braun Strowman because they just fucking wreck fools.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, matt925 said:

It's in Hall B, which is the 5500 seat venue.

• Like 1