DVDVR Message Board

Another Attempt at a MARCH Wrestling Thread

RIPPA

So, the Ranallo thing....

(stolen from Reddit, who stole it from Dave) 

Mauro Ranallo missed his second straight Smackdown on 3/21, this time said to be due to illness after the previous week it was said to be due to travel issues. Ranallo has suffered from terrible depression dating back to being a teenager. He’s spoken about it frequently and in depth, including articles on the Sherdog MMA site and in Fighting Spirit magazine. He’s been out of contact with people he’s known for years dating back to 3/13, although two of his closest friends have said that he’s okay and resting up. He once missed an Invicta event over depression before coming to WWE. Ranallo has done many in-depth articles on the subject including one just recently with Fighting Spirit magazine and it’s a subject he has talked openly about, to the point he has been something of a spokesperson and advocate in teaching people not to stigmatize people with mental health issues. Years ago he was self-nicknamed The Bipolar Rock & Roller. Ranallo is super active on Twitter, but hasn’t posted anything since 3/13. 

Didn't he win the NWA Title from Harley Race with a top rope cross body?

Also, I love that he finally hit it on Shawn Michaels in the retirement match at Wrestlemania. What a great payoff to a career long joke.

1 minute ago, Web Conn said:

Oh. Didn't he hit a cross body on Vader during that match?

Possibly but it's been awhile since I've seen it. Good reason to rewatch that classic. Just stay away from the Nasty boys tag title match. It's still going...

Wiki has Angle's WWE in-ring debut in November of 1999. His last match was in August of 2006. (Almost 7 years)

TNA debut was October of 2006 and his last match was March of 2016. (Almost 10 years)

Regardless of the actual time spent, it blows my mind that Kurt spent more time in TNA compared to WWE. 

Re: Ric and Hulk. It seems that Ric has absolutely no heat with Hogan now about this. I don't think Flair ever minded losing to Hogan as long as they were making money and he was booked as a top guy. It was when him and Bischoff went south that things got mad.

Re: Mauro - that's really sad. Depression is a motherfucker. He's an insanely busy dude and WWE commentary is notoriously high-stress. I wonder if it's a good fit for him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

You're not as crazy as Angle for staying TNA for 11 years.

Work 300+ days a year for $2 million and have strict drug tests OR work maybe 30 days a year for $1 million with no drug testing.  Pretty sure Angle made the right choice financially.

1 hour ago, Hagan said:

Re: Mauro - that's really sad. Depression is a motherfucker.

Couldn't echo that enough. 

I hope the guy pulls through and can acquire some semblance of solace that he's much beloved by the millions of fans who enjoy his presence each week. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sammo~! said:

Didn't he win the NWA Title from Harley Race with a top rope cross body?

Also, I love that he finally hit it on Shawn Michaels in the retirement match at Wrestlemania. What a great payoff to a career long joke.

He also successfully hit a top rope move on his way to winning the I-C title at Unforgiven 2005.  The fans were literally PLEADING for him not to do it, then when he actually hit it, the place erupted.  And then Ric took a bow.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Brysynner said:

Work 300+ days a year for $2 million and have strict drug tests OR work maybe 30 days a year for $1 million with no drug testing.  Pretty sure Angle made the right choice financially.

He was released... Wasn't much of a choice.