DVDVR Message Board

Another Attempt at a MARCH Wrestling Thread

RIPPA

39 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

Sorry if it came off wrong. I lost a friend in high school from not wearing one, coupled with this recent thing, made me bring it up. 

I think it was reasonable considering JR himself mentioned it in his blog before she passed. 

Regardless, no one deserves to have something like that happen to them, especially someone held in such universal high regard like Jan. I also feel for the 17 year old kid who has to live with this for the rest of his life, whether he was at fault or not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PetrolCB said:

Sorry if it came off wrong. I lost a friend in high school from not wearing one, coupled with this recent thing, made me bring it up. 

I'm sorry, I didn't know that. It's a valid point and if Jim mentioned it then cool.  Sorry for your loss.

On his show Jim says to count your blessings because tomorrows are not guaranteed. Thinking about that now and how much that rings true, especially in this sad situation.

We used to have Jim Ross on our morning show back before our owners bought ROH and when she was there, she was nothing but friendly to anyone who talked to them and seemed to know when someone was uncomfortable by JR's gruffness and was all the more kind to compensate.  Incredibly sad situation and I hope JR has the support from family and friends to pull through.  And while "wear a helmet" is an important lesson, "don't take life for granted" is an even more important one. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RolandTHTG said:

I wonder if he goes back and works for Vince again if for no other reason than it being a welcome distraction?

It's bad that I actually had to ask myself if Vince would humiliate JR on-air again as he seemingly took pride in doing in the past.

No good segue from the JR stuff, which is just so sad) but this WCW talk made me wonder if anyone is listening to Keeping It 2000 on the LAW podcast network. It's a couple of guys going through every episode of Nitro in 2000, complete with audio clips. A really, really fun podcast on the year WCW just went up in smoke.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, nofuture said:

In believe it or don't know NEWZ, Pro Wrestling Sheet is reporting that WWE is trying to buy ROH.

http://www.prowrestlingsheet.com/buyout-ring-honor-wwe/#.WNMVDxIrJE4?platform=hootsuite

I know this would likely be a terrible thing for the wrestling business, but I very selfishly want to see the Briscoes vs Revival, so...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

Without Hogan signing, Bischoff doesn't give Vince a reason to care or compete. 
Without Hogan signing, Bischoff probably doesn't get Nitro.
Without Nitro, they probably fly under the radar of the various Time Warner execs that wanted it gone and it still is seen as Ted Turner's little hobby farm.
Without Nitro, they probably continue to do the tapings at Disney, and continue making small, modest profits.
Without Hogan and Nitro, they probably don't feel the need to carry on the momentum and sign Hall/Nash

In that space however, Austin probably still gets fired (by both his and Bischoff's admission), Foley probably still leaves anyway. You probably end up with Dustin Rhodes as the face of the company instead however. Think both promotions end up in a lacklustre crawl to the bottom, with WCW better insulated from the storm by not touring as frequently. If anything, ECW survives and competes better in a much more competitive/even playing field.

I think Nitro itself would have happened without Hogan.   Hall, Nash, and the NWO angle would have worked without Hogan- Savage could have filled that role easily.

Would Savage have quit on his RAW commentary gig to go to WCW if they hadn't signed Hogan, though? I mean, the only reason people were jumping at all was because the word in the biz was 'Bischoff has an unlimited chequebook, and he's a mark'. And that word got out because of Hogan's stupidly generous initial contract (which later became even more ridiculously generous).

8 minutes ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Allegedly, Sting would have been leader of the nWo if Hogan hadn't agreed to the turn.

I'm trying to remember all the names mentioned. Internally, Luger was a front runner on the idea that he came over in 95 as the advance force of the invasion. For free agents they were considering, the only ones out there were Mabel, Tatanka and someone else (maybe Crush?). Considering that they were already gaining in business and ratings anyway on the strength of the Flair vs Savage feud, I think almost anything bolstered by Hall and Nash would have worked in the short term. In the medium/long term, however, you really need Hogan on board on the heel side. Otherwise, he would have squashed them in rapid succession as a babyface and they would have lost momentum quickly. The rumor going all the way back to January of 96 was that Hogan personally was reaching out to Nash because he wanted him as an opponent. 

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Would Savage have quit on his RAW commentary gig to go to WCW if they hadn't signed Hogan, though? I mean, the only reason people were jumping at all was because the word in the biz was 'Bischoff has an unlimited chequebook, and he's a mark'. And that word got out because of Hogan's stupidly generous initial contract (which later became even more ridiculously generous).

Didn't Macho jump to WCW before Hogan?  And wasn't he one kind of instrumental in getting Hogan to sign with WCW? If Hogan doesn't jump,  Savage probably is the face of WCW with Sting, with Flair and Vader as top heels. Considering how good WCW was before Hogan came in with all his buddies to mess it all up for a year before nWo kicked off,  that alternate reality of WCW is really intriguing 

1 hour ago, MonteCarl said:

Didn't Macho jump to WCW before Hogan?  And wasn't he one kind of instrumental in getting Hogan to sign with WCW? If Hogan doesn't jump,  Savage probably is the face of WCW with Sting, with Flair and Vader as top heels. Considering how good WCW was before Hogan came in with all his buddies to mess it all up for a year before nWo kicked off,  that alternate reality of WCW is really intriguing 

Hogan was there before Macho. Hogan signed in June 94 and Macho didn't debut until Dec 94. He did an interview where he said he would slap Hogan in the face or shake his hand.