DVDVR Message Board

Another Attempt at a MARCH Wrestling Thread

RIPPA

And according to TMZ (per Pro Wrestling Sheet) - an update on Jim Ross' wife

http://www.prowrestlingsheet.com/jim-ross-wife-accident-vespa/#.WNFbfBIrJE4?platform=hootsuite

According to TMZ, Jan was driving to the gym without a helmet when her Vespa was struck from behind by a 17-year old driver. She was thrown from the vehicle as it caught on fire.

Jim told them the situation is “touch and go” at the moment.

I was just thinking about how fucking cheesy and great the July 4th body slam challenge on the USS Intrepid was... We need another one. Maybe Roman can show up in a helicopter, mom jeans, and a sweet stars and stripes shirt to slam Kassius Ohno on the Intrepid this July.

Can you imagine Vince pushing Luger for three.fucking.years? 

Anyway, this rules:

• Like 6

July 4th is on a Tuesday this Year. Smackdown should be a 3 hour Great American Bash Special on USA. Have the WWE, Smackdown Women's, IC, and Smackdown Tag all defended on the show. Make Flair the MC, have it down south in the Mid Atlantic region. Have the cruisers on it. Do a America battle royal or something like that idk, maybe they can switch the IC and US champions during the draft so the winner of the battle royal gets an immediate shot at the US Champion. Have the US champion be a forigen heel and an American maybe Heath Slater wins the battle royal and the US Championship. And I know 205 live is on after Smackdown but push it back an hour and make it a best of that is hosted in studio by Graves and Ranallo.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

I was just thinking about how fucking cheesy and great the July 4th body slam challenge on the USS Intrepid was... We need another one. Maybe Roman can show up in a helicopter, mom jeans, and a sweet stars and stripes shirt to slam Kassius Ohno on the Intrepid this July.

Anyway, this rules:

IT WAS A HIPTOSS...A HIPTOSS!!!

I was there for that. That was one hot summer day. Looking at that now, if Savage was still on the juice he probably could have done it. Man, he must have been dying in that outfit. I think the only other person besides Crush that even got Yoko off his feet that day was Bill Frallic of the Detroit Lions. Most of the crowd thought one of the Steiner's was gonna do it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Anyway, this rules:

This was actually some of, if not THE, first pro wrestling I ever saw in my life. I have vivid, vivid memories of this as a very young child. Before I saw this, I had some bath soap where foam shot out of Macho Man's open mouth, but after this, I finally put two and two together, and he became my guy. I actually thought Macho and Hank Williams Jr were the same guy for a while because of the MNF intro

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Web Conn said:

July 4th is on a Tuesday this Year. Smackdown should be a 3 hour Great American Bash Special on USA. Have the WWE, Smackdown Women's, IC, and Smackdown Tag all defended on the show. Make Flair the MC, have it down south in the Mid Atlantic region. Have the cruisers on it. Do a America battle royal or something like that idk, maybe they can switch the IC and US champions during the draft so the winner of the battle royal gets an immediate shot at the US Champion. Have the US champion be a forigen heel and an American maybe Heath Slater wins the battle royal and the US Championship. And I know 205 live is on after Smackdown but push it back an hour and make it a best of that is hosted in studio by Graves and Ranallo.  

Everything about this sounds great except the part about Flair being the MC. I don't think WWE has given him much mic time since telling Nattie Neidhart to kill herself on SD. Flair with a live mic might still be too scary of a proposition for those in charge.

2 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

This was actually some of, if not THE, first pro wrestling I ever saw in my life. I have vivid, vivid memories of this as a very young child. Before I saw this, I had some bath soap where foam shot out of Macho Man's open mouth, but after this, I finally put two and two together, and he became my guy. I actually thought Macho and Hank Williams Jr were the same guy for a while because of the MNF intro

Sleaze thread.

• Like 6

I know we can't comment on live shows, but I've gotta ask, what's the deal with Ranallo? Meltzer never went into it and the guy's been radio silent for a week. 

I know the guy has some mental issues, I hope there wasn't a flare up and it's some other reason. All the best if that's the case though. 

5 hours ago, Web Conn said:

Would love to see a special SDL like that. the July 4 2002 SD is one of my all time favorite episodes. Great moment with Hogan & Edge winning the tag titles and a classic Taker/Angle main event.

1 hour ago, PetrolCB said:

I know we can't comment on live shows, but I've gotta ask, what's the deal with Ranallo? Meltzer never went into it and the guy's been radio silent for a week. 

I know the guy has some mental issues, I hope there wasn't a flare up and it's some other reason. All the best if that's the case though. 

Pollock and Bauer touched on the Mauro subject in their last podcast. He does have some mental (bipolar?) issues and a super hectic schedule, and has gone dark on social media. I'm hoping it's nothing too serious and he's back on TV soon.

2 hours ago, Infinit said:

Pollock and Bauer touched on the Mauro subject in their last podcast. He does have some mental (bipolar?) issues and a super hectic schedule, and has gone dark on social media. I'm hoping it's nothing too serious and he's back on TV soon.

He once called himself the "Bipolar Rock 'n Roller" during NJPW on AXS.  There's an article out there from a few years back where Ranallo goes way into his personal issues and talks about being on suicide watch.

Mauro also does a lot of public speaking about mental health awareness, and his own struggles with bipolar disorder. He also does charity work in and around mental health issues. There is a documentary coming out soon about Mauro that supposedly takes a very candid look at the subject.

• Like 1

The July 4th Bodyslam is conflicting to me. At the time I marked out huge (and any fandom built was then killed off at Summerslam) but with hindsight I wish he'd just stuck to the Narcissist gimmick as that was the most interesting Luger ever was in his career

23 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

It's still pretty crazy to me how popular Luger was in 1997. Watch that Nitro where he beat Hogan for the title and listen to that crowd

Listening to Bryan and Vinny recap it they determined that when Luger lost the title soon after that was the beginning of the end for WCW.  Watching both matches I have to agree since I used to think it was Hogan/Sting that started the slippery slope.  They could have called an audible and  had Luger go a couple months with it before losing.  Or just not do it at all if they were going to go with Sting.

• Like 2