DVDVR Message Board

Another Attempt at a MARCH Wrestling Thread

RIPPA

Beer drinking before the match worked for Sandman. ODB had a flask for before, during, and after match beverage consumption. And WWE had (maybe still has) a guy on the payroll with the primary job requirement of throwing beers to Austin.

And now, as referenced in a precious SDL thread here is what maybe Thunderkitty's most seen match.

41 minutes ago, Infinit said:

If it's widely known the night of that Goldberg isn't contractually extended past Mania, what are the chances of the crowd turning on him like at 20?

If he doesn't win in 17.34 seconds, they riot?

Seriously though, I think card placement will play into it. If the card goes 6 hours, and then they trot out Goldberg to lose to Lesnar, I'm thinking people aren't going to be happy.

4 hours ago, The Z said:

Is he still doing Talking Dead?

He was on that show once ever. Steven Ogg (Trevor from GTA) is on tonight though.

52 minutes ago, Infinit said:

If it's widely known the night of that Goldberg isn't contractually extended past Mania, what are the chances of the crowd turning on him like at 20?

Does anyone actually expect Goldberg to be around after WrestleMania? 

What are we basing the idea of Goldberg being the top draw from? He's not on house shows and RAW ratings haven't jumped a tremendous amount that I'm aware of. I'm genuinely curious.

On the other end of the spectrum:

This was in response to a question about who would be the biggest full-time draw if you count Cena as a part-timer right now.

46 minutes ago, Casey said:

People actually thought that Goldberg was just coming in for one match, at Survivor Series, and not get the big WrestleMania payoff?

People didn't just think that, it's what was happening.

They weren't expecting the reaction Goldberg got and extended his contract to run through to Wrestlemania.  Per Meltzer, that's what happened.

Yes, I realize that was the situation at the time. But I'm fairly sure there were people on this board, myself included, that were speculating that Goldberg/Lesnar would be extended to a full program leading into 'Mania well before the match actually happened.

On 3/18/2017 at 5:01 PM, Oyaji said:

I wonder how much of the resentment towards Roman stems from the Punk/Colt podcast and "make Roman look strong". Particularly as this was following the most organic push in WWE history. 

I actually think Roman's whole push was killed when they announced Bryan was coming back in the Rumble. From there the reactions just snowballed and now he is where he is because the whole audience have latched onto it.

If they keep Bryan until the night after Fastlane then have him come out an announce he is making his comeback in the IC title ladder match then both of them would be fine, Roman would have gone over and he would be established as "The Guy".

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Casey said:

What are we basing the idea of Goldberg being the top draw from? He's not on house shows and RAW ratings haven't jumped a tremendous amount that I'm aware of. I'm genuinely curious.

On the other end of the spectrum:

This was in response to a question about who would be the biggest full-time draw if you count Cena as a part-timer right now.

Doesn't this put to bed the idea that Roman's in a bad position. Sure WWE and outside factors fucked him over right now but if he's at the Styles/Orton level of drawing and selling merch that's not a bad place to be. Now if WWE could get about a few more other people to that level, they'll be fine.

Can you imagine where somebody who can actually connect to the fans as a babyface would be if they had put the resources they've put into Roman the past three fucking years elsewhere? That he's not clearly out in front of the pack says a lot, don't you think?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Matt D said:

Goldberg is still basically the only draw in the company, no? 

I think it's overstated. We don't have a bunch of house shows to look into.  One week Goldberg appeared on RAW and Smackdown outdrew RAW that same week in live attendance. And the television ratings themselves have not gone up either outside of the yearly bump they get from no more football to compete with. 

Maybe you have some other information I haven't seen yet but even if Goldberg is somewhat of a draw it is not going to last especially with these two minute matches. He's already received boos in a couple towns.

• Like 1

But who connects with the fans at that level?  The problem is no one connects at that level or they do for a brief moment in time and then they fade back into the midcard. I don't know if there is that big long lasting star on the roster and it is going to be interesting if Vince (and a lot of other people) are proven right that Reigns is that guy and what happens if/when they're all wrong and they can't find a big star to replace Cena when he retires/does movies

3 hours ago, Brysynner said:

Doesn't this put to bed the idea that Roman's in a bad position. Sure WWE and outside factors fucked him over right now but if he's at the Styles/Orton level of drawing and selling merch that's not a bad place to be.

Drawing like Orton while getting pushed like Cena is a bad position. If he was pushed like Orton, this wouldn't be a topic but every couple of years.

The comparison to AJ just makes me sad. I want to live in the universe where Roman lost to Jericho at last year's Mania and was facing Shane as a heel this year, while AJ beat HHH for the belt last year and was poised to beat Taker this year.

• Like 1