DVDVR Message Board

Another Attempt at a MARCH Wrestling Thread

RIPPA

17 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

It's not that he had more credibility so much as that people had stopped giving a shit about WCW by 2000.

I think Jarrett was more lucky than Roman because WCW at the time didn't have anyone as over as Daniel Bryan on its roster.

I don't think it's accurate to say Roman didn't have a groundswell of fan approval. By the time the Shield turned face, Roman felt like the obvious star of the group. There's that one promo he cuts, after the Shield have beaten the Wyatts on Main Event, where he had the crowd in the palm of his hand ("What's my name" Crowd: "ROMAN! ROMAN!"). He totally had it. If you'd told me at the time he'd develop into a top 5 worker on the roster, have the only good Lesnar match since the Cena comeback bout, and half the crowd would fucking HATE him, I'd think you were nuts

• Like 1

The worst thing about Roman isn't that half the crowd hates him so much as (last I saw) about a quarter of the crowd exhibits pure apathy toward him.

I don't get why there needs to be a "the guy" anyway in 2017. The brand itself is "the guy," as people point out. All you need is six or seven guys who have a following with different segments of the audience, and you can have them doing different appearances for those demographics. Roman can be on the Today Show along with Cena, but you can send AJ Styles over to do appearances on CMT or whatever and whoever the next millennial nerd king is to play games with Jimmy Fallon on the Tonight Show or do skits with Lyft drivers on Conan. 

When I think of champs like Punk or Bryan, they would be far more interesting sitting down for an hour with Chris Hardwick on the Nerdist than doing all that traditional shit - and at the time, like now, there were two champs, so they still could have sent their suit-wearing guy to do the traditional sit-down talk show stuff. 

• Like 9

10 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Sid also came to a fight with a squeegee as his weapon. You can be the judge of that as a sign of mental acuity. 

When you're Sid's size, do you really need more than a squeejee?

Also keep in mind that Sid once no-showed a show for Dreamwave Wrestling (in 2010, irrc).  When the promoter finally tracked him down, Sid's excuse was that he left his passport at home and was not allowed to board the plane.

The flight in question was from Memphis to Chicago.  Yeah......

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

The worst thing about Roman isn't that half the crowd hates him so much as (last I saw) about a quarter of the crowd exhibits pure apathy toward him.

I don't get why there needs to be a "the guy" anyway in 2017. The brand itself is "the guy," as people point out. All you need is six or seven guys who have a following with different segments of the audience, and you can have them doing different appearances for those demographics. Roman can be on the Today Show along with Cena, but you can send AJ Styles over to do appearances on CMT or whatever and whoever the next millennial nerd king is to play games with Jimmy Fallon on the Tonight Show or do skits with Lyft drivers on Conan. 

When I think of champs like Punk or Bryan, they would be far more interesting sitting down for an hour with Chris Hardwick on the Nerdist than doing all that traditional shit - and at the time, like now, there were two champs, so they still could have sent their suit-wearing guy to do the traditional sit-down talk show stuff. 

I could not agree with this post more. It's actually kind of part of a larger conversation. The mainstream will never, ever respect pro wrestling, so if I'm WWE, or even an ROH or TNA or if NJPW tries to penetrate the US market more, I'd focus my efforts entirely on trying to present my product as part of this Comic-Con, Nerdist type culture. I think trying to sell people on the idea that wrestling is a live-action Marvel movie would go a long way in changing the conversation from "wrestling is fake" to "wrestling is acrobatic performance art"

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I could not agree with this post more. It's actually kind of part of a larger conversation. The mainstream will never, ever respect pro wrestling, so if I'm WWE, or even an ROH or TNA or if NJPW tries to penetrate the US market more, I'd focus my efforts entirely on trying to present my product as part of this Comic-Con, Nerdist type culture. I think trying to sell people on the idea that wrestling is a live-action Marvel movie would go a long way in changing the conversation from "wrestling is fake" to "wrestling is acrobatic performance art"

Lucha Underground already does this. 

2 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

The problem though is that right now- if the brand itself is "the guy", even six or seven people will be too much.

If anything, the fact that the brand itself is "the guy", and how fans are, means that fans basically like and respect everyone on the roster, and because of that people basically want good things to come to everyone on the roster- to the point they almost want too MANY people to be "that one" and you can't have just one person make the level. It's almost close to ECW by the end when everyone had enough credibility they could go from opening matches to title contender and people went with it....but it also leads to "if everyone has that credibility as a "the guy", then no one has that credibility as "the guy"", and ties to "if everyone's beloved enough to have them want them to be the guy, then everyone is beloved enough so you almost HAVE TO".

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

When you're Sid's size, do you really need more than a squeejee?

Also keep in mind that Sid once no-showed a show for Dreamwave Wrestling (in 2010, irrc).  When the promoter finally tracked him down, Sid's excuse was that he left his passport at home and was not allowed to board the plane.

The flight in question was from Memphis to Chicago.  Yeah......

Maybe his license was suspended? 

3 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

The problem though is that right now- if the brand itself is "the guy", even six or seven people will be too much.

If anything, the fact that the brand itself is "the guy", and how fans are, means that fans basically like and respect everyone on the roster, and because of that people basically want good things to come to everyone on the roster- to the point they almost want too MANY people to be "that one" and you can't have just one person make the level. It's almost close to ECW by the end when everyone had enough credibility they could go from opening matches to title contender and people went with it....but it also leads to "if everyone has that credibility as a "the guy", then no one has that credibility as "the guy"", and ties to "if everyone's beloved enough to have them want them to be the guy, then everyone is beloved enough so you almost HAVE TO".

Good points about too many top guys, but the way I see it, most of the time WWE has somebody at the top that isn't "their guy" (recent example of Owens) they treat him like a good and it's like he's just there eating for Roman or part timers to get back. They should have pushed Owens as THE guy this whole time. Then evening he's not, he still can be at a way higher level then he is now. Because then you end up with WrestleMania being the time when all the big stars IE old Guys come in to save the day.

22 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Sid also came to a fight with a squeegee as his weapon. You can be the judge of that as a sign of mental acuity. 

And hey check this out. Never heard of this book but this little chapter looks interesting: http://www.tvparty.com/80swrestling/36squeegee.html

Should mention, the squeegee incident was really misinterpreted. Can't remember the shoot but the vibe was described as scary. He grabbed it because it was nearby. 

People can laugh about the scissors because nobody died. But Arn was in bad shape. 

One of the more awkward Nitro moments was Sid joining Team Flair and shaking hands with Arn. From hearing him talk, Sid felt genuine remorse for what happened. Seems they were both drunk and tired. 

Scorpio and Vader's version seems most accurate of the versions.

Don't know why I wrote this. Tired I suppose. 

2 hours ago, piranesi said:

Ah yes.  The behavioral logic and problem-solving skills of a toddler but in the body of a monstrous colossus. 

Having been raised by a Jekyll and Hyde drunk, the idea of a drunk angry Sid is terrifying. 

On 3/17/2017 at 11:32 PM, Victator said:

From his interviews, Sid seems like a smart guy. The infamous "half the brain" promo was scripted. He said he asked three times if this is what they wanted. 

I've met Sid and he's pretty well spoken. He came across as a smart guy in person.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

I'm amused this thread is still open and the previous omnibus thread was closed down by a couple Phil Collins jokes.  I assume Rippa really liked Peter Gabriel-era Genesis.

Peter Gabriel > Phil Collins

• Like 1