DVDVR Message Board

Another Attempt at a MARCH Wrestling Thread

RIPPA

Legit questions.  Reigns wouldn't be the "guy" if you were in charge?  Do you like money?

I like the argument against him that it's too late because he's already been champ 3 times while the same people will crow on about Daniel Bryan's crowning WrestleMania moment which came not just after 3 previous title reigns but 3 stints with the company.

The main reason Styles has been so successful isn't because he's very good.  Reigns is very good.  It's because Styles hasn't been saddled with Triple H or Stephanie McMahon during his run.  Get Reigns away from Triple H and he'll be fine.  And a gear change wouldn't hurt either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hagan said:

I get the sentiment but what promoters/promotions in wrestling are actually decent people? Do any promoters give a shit whether a guy has a concussion or has a drug issue or is one bump away from a severe injury?

Edit: it's a low-bar but is Vince McMahon really the scuzziest person in wrestling? Hell, even in (former) promoters in his own company isn't Heyman guilty of a lot more awful shit in how he handled ECW, not just financially but in turning a blind eye to the rampant drug use?

I'm sure there are decent promoters out there, a lot just don't pay a lot. I heard of one who didn't pay at all, they just got tv time and exposure that way. For a lot of guys I talked to, they didn't mind it because it led to them getting paid bookings later on.

16 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

Is that the son who was on Big Brother?

No. That was Frank Eudy. This was Gunnar Eudy.

7 minutes ago, Sammo~! said:

Sid is awesome. Why isn't he in the Hall of Fame yet?

Sid's one of those you can put in a semi-main any year, it seems.

Can Sid be trusted with a live mike though? Its not like he would be obscene or anything, but I'm not sure he'll ever live "We are live, pal down. It would so worth it just to have someone tell the stupid Sid stories. They should TOTALLY  have Arn induct him. . . . . :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BEN! said:

Legit questions.  Reigns wouldn't be the "guy" if you were in charge?  Do you like money?

I like the argument against him that it's too late because he's already been champ 3 times while the same people will crow on about Daniel Bryan's crowning WrestleMania moment which came not just after 3 previous title reigns but 3 stints with the company.

The main reason Styles has been so successful isn't because he's very good.  Reigns is very good.  It's because Styles hasn't been saddled with Triple H or Stephanie McMahon during his run.  Get Reigns away from Triple H and he'll be fine.  And a gear change wouldn't hurt either.

Bryan's previous reigns were during remnants of the brand split.

He beat Big Show on Smackdown and never closed the show. His WM defense was an opening match. Which is still a great position, but nowhere near Reigns push. 

Beating Cena was a huge deal. But its purpose was to turn Triple H heel. Bryan was the focus of most of the fall TV, but cooled off by winter before the Wyatt angle revived him. Close to Reigns push before the HHH feud, but different. 

Reigns has been pushed as the new Cena for three tears and is not getting a Cena reaction. Now my feeling is his push is causing people who could be over to stagnate. The Braun feud is the first time he has been interesting in years. I think Braun has far more potential than Reigns, who has been damaged by booking. 

Styles survived a decade of TNA booking, Hunter and Steph would be nothing. 

1 hour ago, Kuetsar said:

Can Sid be trusted with a live mike though? Its not like he would be obscene or anything, but I'm not sure he'll ever live "We are live, pal down. It would so worth it just to have someone tell the stupid Sid stories. They should TOTALLY  have Arn induct him. . . . . :)

From his interviews, Sid seems like a smart guy. The infamous "half the brain" promo was scripted. He said he asked three times if this is what they wanted. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Victator said:

From his interviews, Sid seems like a smart guy. The infamous "half the brain" promo was scripted. He said he asked three times if this is what they wanted. 

I would tell that story too if I were in Sid's position.  

• Like 6

3 hours ago, zev said:

Is anyone here going to any of the non-WWE shows on Mania weekend? If so, which ones have your interest?

The Joey Janela show Thursday night at Midnight is a must attend. That show is going to be insane.

Also working Wrestlecon slinging DVDs and bringing Nick Dinsmore and Armando Estrada in. Then Saturday got NXT and the Bruce Prichard podcast taping.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kuetsar said:

Everything would be forgiven if Sid gives his acceptance speech in his weird whisper YELL! whisper Sid cadence.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, BEN! said:

Bryan caught fire in 2013. When he got the push to the top, it did come after being a journeyman, but after he captured people's imaginations and truly became "the guy."

Reigns never has caught fire- he's been pushed like he's caught fire, he's been treated like he caught fire- but there was never a time when he had it. 

Reigns is no different than Sheamus, Del Rio, Swagger, McIntyre, or any number of failed experiments by WWE: On paper, they're a five-tool player, you can absolutely see why WWE would give them the world and push them to be "the guy"...but then they got out to the ring and WWE found out the hard way the real fifth tool is "Do the audience give a damn about you?"

• Like 1

I wonder how much of the resentment towards Roman stems from the Punk/Colt podcast and "make Roman look strong". Particularly as this was following the most organic push in WWE history. 

17 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

It's not that he had more credibility so much as that people had stopped giving a shit about WCW by 2000.

I think Jarrett was more lucky than Roman because WCW at the time didn't have anyone as over as Daniel Bryan on its roster.