DVDVR Message Board

Another Attempt at a MARCH Wrestling Thread

RIPPA

9 hours ago, nofuture said:

Copied over from the WWE Network thread, but it looks like the WWE finally signed up a new promotion to air on the Network.

I've always thought that there needed to be more shows based off of Mountain Goats music videos.

8 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

I hope the show is in the same vein as Edge and Christian's, where it was clear nobody realized what they were up to. 

Damn you for bringing their show up, I still am salty as fuck that there's little chance of another season.

2 minutes ago, turk128 said:

Damn you for bringing their show up, I still am salty as fuck that there's little chance of another season.

I was under the impression they were making season 2.

and if not, theres theirupcoming podcast. 

2 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I was under the impression they were making season 2.

and if not, theres theirupcoming podcast. 

Last I heard, Edge said it was way too much of a hassle because they themselves practically had to do all the work.

Peck, that's awesome you ran into some WWE folks.  Corey seems like he would be a super cool guy to hang with, and I'm slightly envious you were around Alexa.  But I'm a bit surprised Tom would laugh off the DM scandal given the consequences to his personal life.  More power to him I guess.  And I'm with Curt on this, no picture of PS?  That's unfathomable, man.

As for E&C is it possible they were brainstorming in that picture for the podcast they're doing?  I'm hoping that show's good, but I could really go for season 2.

So when you are all bitching in 6 months - you can't say you weren't warned

A lot of times people talk about how there’s no long-term planning but the WrestleMania 34 main event for April 8, 2017, which obviously could change, is set for Lesnar vs. Reigns for the Universal title.

That doesn’t necessarily mean Reigns is beating Undertaker or that Lesnar will have a full one year run as champion, although both could happen. I have no idea of what the finish will be of Undertaker vs. Reigns. The goal is very much to make Reigns the next Cena, which was the plan for Santa Clara two years ago, until they decided to delay it based on fan reaction.

The plan is to once again build for a year and have the big coronation at WrestleMania. The idea between now and then is for Reigns to be the face, not just when he wins the title, but to fully replace John Cena as the lead babyface of the company. How they’ll make that work is uncertain. They may just go with the idea that the fans that attend TVs and PPVs that boo Reigns are a minority of their worldwide audience and ignore the obvious crowd reaction. It’s hard to believe that in one year, considering it’s been more than two years since they’ve tried to change things, that the Santa Clara reaction of Lesnar being far and away the most popular wrestler on the show as the heel, and Reigns being even more far and away the most hated, even positioned as main event babyface, will change much with another year of attempting to convince fans Reigns is the guy.

Whether they’ll just say what they’ve been saying and screw it, that the masses like Reigns (he does move merchandise well) or they go with the Naito idea of turning him into a cool heel to make him cheered (and I’d be pretty sure Vince McMahon himself couldn’t pick Naito out of a police lineup) and use Heyman to make Lesnar a heel (which really hasn’t happened either), I don’t know.

Goldberg’s contract expires at WrestleMania but the run was considered a success and the door is open to use him for big shows in the future.

Then again, even if the idea was he’s done after Mania, that could change, since the original deal was Survivor Series and that’s it and then they extended him until Mania.

The plan in place is that Lesnar will do more shows from this point forward, in what will be the final year of his current three-year WWE contract, especially since UFC is now clearly part of his past.

He’s been on TV almost every week and done some house shows of late. The impression we’ve been given is he will never work a full schedule, but he will work more dates over the next year, as has been shown by his doing more house shows than ever before and working all but one Monday in the last two months before WrestleMania.

As for Reigns vs. Undertaker, there are a dozen different ways you can tell that story that could involve either man winning depending on how you want to tell it. You could come out of the match with just the standard Reigns winning to start the build for the next Mania. He could stay face or go short-term heel. He could get screwed by a third party (Braun Strowman). He could lose clean and do a story of him starting from the bottom and climbing his way up with a new motive and purpose, etc.

The difficulty is keeping the two away from each other and keeping Reigns out of the title picture, and getting enough fresh opponents to keep Lesnar headlining much of the year. Lesnar doesn’t have to hold the title for the full year, but does have to be in the title picture most of the way. He can trade with someone if need be to keep things fresh. Given the way things are, a full year for the obvious match is difficult which is why I sensed the Lesnar vs. Reigns match for SummerSlam. That is definitely not the case now, but as joked, this plan could change on a moment’s notice at any time over the next 13 months.

Newest WON

8 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

HOW DID YOU NOT GET A PICTURE OF THAT?!

You know, I considered it but I just didn't one to be one of "those guys" lurking in hotel lobbies for pictures/autographs, etc. There were a few there and let's just say I didn't want to be associated with them so I just stuck to the bar. 

• Like 1

Now that Balor is (basically) back: Have they established whether the 205-pound cutoff for the cruiserweight division is compulsory? Like, if he's still (billed as) sub-200, does he 1) Become a cruiser? 2) Keep wrestling as a heavyweight anyway? 3) Go to Smackdown, which doesn't have the division, or this problem?

I suspect 2) is what we'll get, though that does establish that borderline guys are choosing to be there, which isn't great.  

3 minutes ago, Beech27 said:

I suspect 2) is what we'll get, though that does establish that borderline guys are choosing to be there, which isn't great.  

They had already established that since they had Sin Cara declare randomly one week that he was now a cruiserweight.

Heck - that is basically what Neville did too (though he had the benefit of being off of TV for awhile)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

A lot of times people talk about how there’s no long-term planning but the WrestleMania 34 main event for April 8, 2017, which obviously could change, is set for Lesnar vs. Reigns for the Universal title.

Sorry for being a little confused, are they saying/implying that Roman and Brock are going to pull double duty?

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

So when you are all bitching in 6 months - you can't say you weren't warned

Newest WON

I don't even know what to say after reading that.  

Am I actually wishing for a cocaine-aided heart attack now?  Seriously, am I? 

I always laughed whenever someone would interview a McMahon and they would talk about how they had a live test market for every show. The McMahons will do whatever they want if they feel it's right. We're going to be on year three of being held hostage by the Roman Reigns experiment. Reigns has gotten better in the ring but he's still bland and doesn't connect with the audience. If it hasn't worked by now it's not going to.

• Like 1

Someone on Reddit made an interesting point about Roman's push. People obviously mentioned and we said the same things that they've coronated the guy multiple times now, including last year at WM and his face reactions are only going to get worse. So the response to that was if the goal is to make him "the next Cena" then that is going to include multiple coronations in consecutive or nearly consecutive years. Cena's coronation wasn't just defeating JBL at WM 21, it was that, defeating HHH at WM 22, and defeating HBK at WM 23. By the time Cena went into the program with HBK at WM 23, he was getting pretty negative reactions from the crowd and "LET'S GO CENA" "CENA SUCKS" had more meaning to it, as opposed to now, where it's kinda the way Cena gets cheered. In Roman's case, they just don't care and they're going to go forward with the same old shit no matter what.

My take, and likely the take of others, is that this is pure insanity. It's probably the most insane thing creative has tried to push. Roman as a worker is very respected, but as an in ring personality he is so far from where Cena was in that WM 21 to 23 run. Fans also sniff this stuff out more than ever and if they shit on Roman's push before, they're really going to do it this time. To make matters worse, if they're already worried about Raw's attendance numbers, then that shit isn't going to suddenly improve by pushing Roman harder as "the man."

At what point do they see that Roman is fine as a World Champion, but isn't the guy to be "the next Cena?" More importantly, they have a guy that fans immediately recognize as a champion and a guy that's been a champion for nearly his entire WWE run in Finn Balor. I could practically guarantee that Finn is going to draw the same or better merchandise numbers and he's going to connect better with kids, adult men, and adult women. They have to get over Finn's physical size and see that if they want a guy to take Cena's place, it sure as hell isn't Roman, it's Finn. If they want to go through with Roman vs Brock at WM, then it doesn't need to be for the title. It can be for bragging rights while you do the coronation bullshit with Finn. FFS, give Finn the craziest and biggest WM entrance ever. It'll be close to Avengers: Infinity War so have him painted up like Iron Man or Thanos or whatever the fuck and figure out a way to actually make him fly to the ring or something. Then the following year you can do Roman vs Finn. Out of anyone new, to me, Finn is the man, and I say that as someone who got bored by his formulaic style in NXT, but it's hard to deny how much live crowds love him and how easily he'll connect with folks at home. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KidNatural said:

I always laughed whenever someone would interview a McMahon and they would talk about how they had a live test market for every show. The McMahons will do whatever they want if they feel it's right. We're going to be on year three of being held hostage by the Roman Reigns experiment. Reigns has gotten better in the ring but he's still bland and doesn't connect with the audience. If it hasn't worked by now it's not going to.

i don't know about that. this time they're going to really try to "make" him and give him a "wrestlemania moment.

the heart of the reactions to reigns is the inevitability of it all. nobody wants to be reminded that wrestling is a work. 

it's the reason why mania is lacking in buzz. the whole card was informally announced before the wrestlers were even feuding. 

why was the uk tournament so much fun? because we had no idea who WWE was behind so the matches felt competitive. 

• Like 1