DVDVR Message Board

Another Attempt at a MARCH Wrestling Thread

RIPPA

This is a great interview.  I ended up listening to the whole thing. First part is very sad about Sasha's rough childhood, you might shed some tears like me. Second part is funny.  We learn that Sasha Banks tries on AJ Styles gear before he gets it. Lillian is a pretty good Oprah.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

Damn, dude. Hope you're all well and good now. 

Shoulder it's self feels great. I can move it all over the place and have 95% of my mobility back. Just can't ever go lifting again as it wouldn't last more then 5 years if I did. The next option would mean I would literally have no shoulder at all as my arm would just "hang". At my age (46), that's not an option.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, kafkonia said:

I can't think of any particularly good promo, interview, or the like. Maybe during the love quadrangle? Otherwise it's felt like they had Lana do the talking for him, but I'll admit I may be mistaken about this part.

If you're looking for 10+ minute promos, sure. Rusev isn't your man. Not because he can't cut those types of promos (though, I would be glad if we didn't see those outside of the rare occasion), but because he hasn't been afforded the chance. He's been given shit to work with since he started to talk more and more, and yet he's done about as best as he could've done with the material. I think there's money in a Rusev babyface run. The guy is funny and endearing but also has the fire most WWE faces lack. But yeah, he'll likely settle into a Sheamus level because he's foreign and has an accent (and married a beautiful woman, another WWE sin). 

Am I the only one who wouldn't mind a Big E/Rusev Hoss comedy team if they aren't going to push either one because they aren't from the attitude era or some such dog shit? 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

It is frustrating that we don't get to see all this stuff. 

I desperately want to see KO - Lesnar, Lesnar - Big E and Lesnar - Rusev. I hope that we get to see at least one of those on TV.

I like the idea of all of those, and Sami Zayn taking on Brock is a huge fantasy for me personally. But given the way Brock's matches against Rollins and Ambrose turned out, I'm not inspired with confidence that he's going to give up much for anyone who's not considered to be at or above Roman's level. 

That fucking Ambrose match, man. Fantastic build. And the WWE brass clearly thinks very highly of Ambrose. But that was a match in need of another 7-10 minutes and a lot of bloodshed. 

Brock not giving a fuck is part of what makes him so fun. But it's also very frustrating. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

Lesnar kind of sucks 99% of the time, guys.

While that is most certainly true, and @West Newbury Bad Boy is correct in the sense that Brock likely wouldn't give much to any of those guys, I still stand by what I said, but I could also tweak it to say that I am in love with the idea of Brock vs. those guys. Regardless of what the matches would be like in real life, in my perfectly booked fantasy, they'd be fucking tremendous.

I am man enough to admit that I went back and watched some Rusev promos, and I see what you're saying. But I stand by the rest of my statement. He's a perfectly acceptable wrestler who doesn't bring anything to the table other folks don't, and his ceiling is right around upper midcard.

Braun and Rusev shouldn't be on the same show. Rusev looks his best when he's wrecking fools but that's Strowman's deal for now so all that's left is semi-comedy mid-carder. A run on SDL working with the likes of AJ and he could easily get to the top of the card.

• Like 2

Well my whole thing is that VKM has had a monopoly and been gaslighting fans for so long that people believe that "top face that sells merch and gets 50/50 reaction" is how pro wrestling works. I thoroughly disagree and think guys like Rusev could be properly booked as a heel until they start to get big pops, then pushed to the moon as a babyface and get way over. 

Like, you know, pro wrestling.

But hey, Roman, whatever. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, joseph2112 said:

Well my whole thing is that VKM has had a monopoly and been gaslighting fans for so long that people believe that "top face that sells merch and gets 50/50 reaction" is how pro wrestling works. I thoroughly disagree and think guys like Rusev could be properly booked as a heel until they start to get big pops, then pushed to the moon as a babyface and get way over. 

Like, you know, pro wrestling.

But hey, Roman, whatever. 

Or, the equal one- the IWC has been around for long enough and has gaslit fans for so long that you're not a "true" IWC member unless the object of your fandom is a midcarder or lower, and liking the top star in the business is proof you're a casual fan- to the point that "top face that sells merch and gets 50/50 reactions" is the new normal- and inevitably even a guy like Rusev...shit, even someone like Cesaro or Sami Zayn- would inevitably get big pops, be pushed to the moon as a babyface...and see the IWC instantly turn on them so that people know THEY'RE the cool kids of the fandom and they're not those casuals- those are kids and retards. 

That too.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

Or, the equal one- the IWC has been around for long enough and has gaslit fans for so long that you're not a "true" IWC member unless the object of your fandom is a midcarder or lower, and liking the top star in the business is proof you're a casual fan- to the point that "top face that sells merch and gets 50/50 reactions" is the new normal- and inevitably even a guy like Rusev...shit, even someone like Cesaro or Sami Zayn- would inevitably get big pops, be pushed to the moon as a babyface...and see the IWC instantly turn on them so that people know THEY'RE the cool kids of the fandom and they're not those casuals- those are kids and retards. 

That too.

You mean like how the IWC turned on Daniel Bryan? If they got pushed to the moon and casuals finally catch on to how great Cesaro and Sami are, great. I'm not going to turn on them because of that. I've been watching both since about 2005 and want them to get pushed well beyond where they are.

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

That too.

I actually think it has little to do with the IWC at all. But to dovetail on the problem is the WWE sees a guy they think has potential and they will destroy the guy through terrible booking and storylines, and that goes for Roman as well. 

There's no real evidence of "guy gets pushed as face and IWC turns on him" save for maybe Roman to a small degree, even though again, the booking sealed it. 

And I honestly think that Rusev does in- ring work, unscripted promos, scripted promos, twitter, life, and charisma better than Roman. The only spot he loses is hair and VKM masturbatory muscles/looks.  

• Like 2

Roman is the perfect example of why wrestling will always need tag teams and factions. He was perfect as the silent muscle of the Shield; as Ambrose and Rollins covered his shortcomings. A tag team renaissance is one thing I'm hoping for when HHH finally has full control.

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

You mean like how the IWC turned on Daniel Bryan? If they got pushed to the moon and casuals finally catch on to how great Cesaro and Sami are, great. I'm not going to turn on them because of that. I've been watching both since about 2005 and want them to get pushed well beyond where they are.

I'm not sure D-Bry is a good example because his face turn was already beginning to grate right before he was forced to retire. He almost immediately jumped into the Edge 2010 smarmy asshat face mode.

I mean, sure the general audience pavlovianly popped for him but it was all for the wrong reasons (this applies to both guys). But heat is heat, doesn't matter how you achieve it I guess (yeah, Captain Obvious here).

• Like 1

I've said it before but his first act of being champion was running with his girlfriend from Kane. They were blowing it like they always do. He was starting to get boos. He would have held the title until Summerslam and gotten squashed like Cena did against Brock and that would have been that. He probably would have been in the ladder match at 31 anyway.

9 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Roman is the perfect example of why wrestling will always need tag teams and factions. He was perfect as the silent muscle of the Shield; as Ambrose and Rollins covered his shortcomings. A tag team renaissance is one thing I'm hoping for when HHH finally has full control.

He wasn't always quiet.  Remember all the trashtalking he would do during those early Shield matches?  People loved that shit.  He never should have stopped.

Even if I've seen it all so far it's going to be pretty cool to find that show's finally on Netflix.  Hoping it gets more eyeballs on LU and maybe even lead to increased viewership for Season 3.

• Like 1