DVDVR Message Board

Another Attempt at a MARCH Wrestling Thread

RIPPA

I brought up Daniel Bryan's comment in the SDL thread, but it didn't get much traction. I think he likely meant what he said and I wouldn't doubt for a minute that he would return to wrestling. I just wonder what that would do for his relationship with Brie and their kid. Maybe fatherhood will steer him towards staying in WWE if Vince is basically paying DB to not wrestle if just for his own well being.

I don't think I want to see him wrestle again. I also suck so it's likely that I'll watch him wrestle if he does so.

Exactly. Eighteen months is a long time. Bryan will be thirty-seven, married with a young child. Different things become important.

At this stage, Bryan is like that broken down pro-athlete who knows he's done but can't stop talking about making a comeback and how he could take these young punks. 

I unfortunately missed out a lot of Bryan in ROH and didn't see anything he did in PWG or elsewhere. I mean, I caught some of his ROH run, but I missed out on most or all of him doing the strongman look or being the master of the small package. Comparing what I saw of him in ROH to what I saw of him in WWE, it seems like he went even harder in WWE, doing even riskier and more dangerous shit that I'm guessing he thought he had to do to stand out in a land of giants. Is that a fair assessment, or was the majority of his matches him taking really bad bumps?

34 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I unfortunately missed out a lot of Bryan in ROH and didn't see anything he did in PWG or elsewhere. I mean, I caught some of his ROH run, but I missed out on most or all of him doing the strongman look or being the master of the small package. Comparing what I saw of him in ROH to what I saw of him in WWE, it seems like he went even harder in WWE, doing even riskier and more dangerous shit that I'm guessing he thought he had to do to stand out in a land of giants. Is that a fair assessment, or was the majority of his matches him taking really bad bumps?

Here's a few Bryan Danielson matches in ROH

42 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Watch his matches against Morishima, KENTA, Nigel... or don't, knowing what we know now about his health. His indie style was certainly more violent, especially during his "best wrestler in the world" period. The argument for his WWE run could be that he was doing the headbutt and corner drop kick spots multiple times a week, though. Less visceral, but it adds up.

He went through different style phases in his career.

Now, everyone repeat after me to keep this topic alive. We will refrain from mentioning adult entertainment products or world leaders in any context lest we feel the wrath of the Phil "The Rippa" Rippa or any moderators at hand. DO IT, NOW!

@Ryan: I remember seeing Bryan in a match early on in his career where he didn't headbutt anyone or do a crazy dive to the outside. He could work a safer style of match if need be.

As to the rest of your post, can we still mention singers and drummers with names that sorta kinda rhyme with Bill Sollins?

That's up to Za Rippa as the Japanese call him. Bryan can work all kinds of styles, he doesn't have to do any of the head trauma inducing stuff, it's just what got him places in theory.

26 minutes ago, zev said:

As to the rest of your post, can we still mention singers and drummers with names that sorta kinda rhyme with Bill Sollins?

He was put off because he has to share a first name with that goof. Rightfully so. 

Per Meltzer. 

Man, I forgot until just now that Jeff Jarrett was very briefly and terribly a member of the Bullet Club.  They just aired the Jan. 2015 Wrestle Kingdom show on The Fight Network up here in Canada and I was all shocked to see Double J, Scott D'Amore and Karen Jarrett/Angle coming down to the ring wearing Bullet Club stuff!

Is he one of the most pointless major stable additions ever?  I mean, The Disciple is probably worse.  And Booker T joining the WWENWO had no impact on the group really, but was actively detrimental to his character and relationship with Goldust.

7 hours ago, nate said:

I watched the documentary "Lucha Mexico" last night on Netflix.  I enjoyed it well enough, though it seemed like a mere primer to the history of lucha libre.

I had forgotten about Perro Aguayo's in-ring death.  I looked it up online, and it was unfortunate to get a quick reminder of how shitty our society has become, when I had to slog through page after page of "Rey Mysterio kills Perry Aguayo during match" sensationalist bullshit, when it didn't seem to be more than a freak fall against the ropes.

Tl;dr: People are fucking awful.

Tales of The Masked Men which aired on PBS is on Netflix as well.

• Like 1