DVDVR Message Board

[1st Rd] CHRIS JERICHO vs. BARBARO CAVERNARIO

CHRIS JERICHO vs. BARBARO CAVERNARIO  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Choose One

• CHRIS JERICHO
    • BARBARO CAVERNARIO

This poll is closed to new votes

The Festival of Friendship had every opportunity to be absolutely awful and turned into one of the better talking segments in Raw history. The preceding months of JeriKO being hilarious were great but only half of that can be applied to Jericho, and his matches weren't especially engaging (the only time I get involved in a Jericho match is when he goes for the Lionsault and I wonder if this is the time he messes it up). That said, I think this year has been one of the best of Chris' career.

March may be the only month I watch Barbaro Cavernario matches, but I'll do the legwork before voting.

Jericho's a great character, and I love his career- but he doesn't have it in-ring anymore.  

Barbaro's not someone I've seen a lot of, but what I've seen of him, he can go and I like the character, even if he is no Jericho in that area.

Easy choice, and it would be close if we got 1996 Jericho in-ring with 2016 character.

The point of all the other stuff is primarily to interest people in the matches, which then have to deliver. Jericho matches are always bad.

Also his character update was... wearing a scarf with a limp wrist. If that's all it takes, I'm charismatic as hell every winter. (Hyperbole for the sake of a bad joke, I'll admit, though I did mostly find his work grating until Owens' reactions helped it along.)

Caveman dude had plenty of matches that were really good, and is a caveman.

From what I've seen of Cavernario, I'm pretty sure I actively hate him, mainly because I hate workrate lucha. It's video game wrestling, which is pretty much the exact opposite of the kind of wrestling I like. I am kind of in awe of his willingness to destroy his knees for little or no reward, but that's as far as it goes. Jericho has been nothing to write home about in the ring either, but his character work has been off the charts.

The fact that Jericho is leading this is insane, considering that, if he worked for CMLL, he wouldn't be 30th (maybe even 50th) best wrestler on their roster. Meanwhile Cavernario is easly top 10, maybe top 5 guy. I mean, I kinda enjoyed Jerichos schtick last year, especially compared to my downright hatred for him in the prior years, but come on.

On 3/4/2017 at 0:40 AM, EVA said:

It really astonishes me how, as forward thinking as Jericho has always been in changing up his character, he remains ever committed to wrestling like a shitty cruiserweight.

He needs to listen to less Bock promos and watch more Bock matches.

Damn, there was a point where I thought we had a good chance to shake up the tournament and put the right guy over here, but 10 votes is too much to overcome in less than 12 hours.

EDIT:  well, make it 9 votes.

Have I ever mentioned how much I hate the caveman gimmick in general? No, well I do. I can put up with wrestling plumbers, swamp monsters, race car drivers, self-help gurus, ad nauseum, but cavemen? No thank you. That said, there is one guy I was turned on to by March Madness a couple of years ago that is so good, I can forgive the stupid gimmick and just watch in awe as he kills himself for our viewing pleasure. If the Caveman ain't got ten votes yet, he does now...

9 minutes ago, caley said:

Once again reminding people that the caveman does The Worm.  In 2017.  I don't care if he was unfrozen and thinks it's current, that's inexcusable.

And Jericho wears a light-up jacket and a scarf, two things that were borderline acceptable in 1986, so your point is?

18 minutes ago, OSJ said:

And Jericho wears a light-up jacket and a scarf, two things that were borderline acceptable in 1986, so your point is?

The scarf/jacket combo is 100% acceptable while working as douchebag heel.  The Worm is only acceptable if you're Scotty 2 Hotty working an indie show for $25.

• Like 1

• RIPPA locked this topic