DVDVR Message Board

[1st Rd] CHRIS JERICHO vs. BARBARO CAVERNARIO

CHRIS JERICHO vs. BARBARO CAVERNARIO  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Choose One

• CHRIS JERICHO
    • BARBARO CAVERNARIO

This poll is closed to new votes

I don't fault anybody voting Jericho.  He's the Madonna of wrestling and keeps evolving to stay relevant.  His character had a tremendous run this year.

But Barbaro's awesome and so is his wrestling, easy vote for him.

8q0O6j.gif

This is Chris Jericho's in ring year in a nutshell. You can blame Reigns on it, maybe, but you shouldn't. It's obviously one of Jericho's "Clever" spots that no one would ever guess and that he'd brag about on his podcast after the fact, even though he simply lacks the physical acumen to pull it off. The same shit that he's been doing since he broke himself trying to do a Shooting Star Press and screwed up a big SMW show. No sense of perspective on his own capabilities. 

Yes, he was entertaining as a promo and character this year, but it's not like Cavernario isn't dynamic and charismatic as well, on top of having a really great in-ring year with some big matches and amazing performances. I put Jericho down on my ballot but this is really a no-brainer for anyone who familiarizes themselves even a little with Cavernario's work. He's amazing at working his character into his wrestling, is a perfect role player (vicious rudo capable of big spots) in Pesta Negra trios, and works as hard as anyone (while delivering)in big matches. Plus he won the Reyes del Aire trophy by cheating instead of doing flying, flippy things, which is just plain awesome.

I look at these comments and these voting results and I see 4 people (out of 6) who have commented why they voted for Cavernario and 8 people who voted for Jericho and haven't said a word, which pretty much tells me they don't know the first thing about Cavernario. Prove me wrong.

• Like 3

This is one of the easier match ups. Jericho has been entertaining outside the ring for the past six months and looks a bit like his old self in the ring, but outside of the Mania match his first six months were bad. The Ambrose feud was awful in the ring and Dean was the one keeping it a float outside the ring (RIP Mitch). 

Carernario has been at a higher level than Jericho all year, good job Chris for getting your groove back but the matches definitely aren't there. If this was a promo/backstage tournament I think Jericho would go further but in the ring counts two and he's been up and down and mostly down this year.

Cavernario is great and I probably would have voted for him against most people in the first round but Jericho's been one of the few things getting me to watch RAW most weeks. Yeah, sometimes he's sloppy in the ring but he's actually had a lot of really strong matches in the second half of the year. The storyline with AJ was actually great and gave AJ a chance to get comfortable in WWE with a veteran instead of floundering in midcard hell. I don't think it's a coincidence that he went from that feud to working with Roman.

I do enjoy Matt D trying to shame people into voting his way, though. Great start to a fun time of the year!

• Like 1

(I actually thought I had put Jericho past Cavernario on my bracket because of a lack of faith in humanity. I see now that I didn't, and am glad I did not use that line to defend myself).

Anyway, full props to Charlie for at least explaining himself. It's fine for people to vote however they vote but show your work. Charlie gets partial credit, at least. 

Maybe I just want some of the poor, neglected souls on the board to drink in the gift of Cavernario?

20170120cmllnjpw-7-3-1.gif

• Like 1

I find that I'm almost always gonna vote the WWE guy over the opposition, due to my familiarity level, and Jericho's "List" stuff has been next level, but in informing myself for this, ive enjoyed watching cavernario. I'm voting Jericho, because i find myself more entertained by personalities and promos than matches,  but it's closer than i thought it would be.

1 minute ago, just drew said:

I find that I'm almost always gonna vote the WWE guy over the opposition, due to my familiarity level

I think for the sake of RIPPA's mental health, everyone should stop saying things like this.

I haven't seen a ton of Cavernario and am not a fan of lucha, but even I can't vote for Jericho over him. Jericho's biggest highlight has been his personality work. He's been a highlight on Raw whenever he's on the mic most of the time, but whenever he's wrestling in the ring, he's just OK. I think that probably the stuff with AJ Styles was his best work of the year. That said, AJ made matches with James Ellsworth entertaining.

Jericho being a huge mark for himself in a not so tongue-in-cheek way like lasting 60 minutes in the Rumble doing fuck all but laying around so he could put himself over on his podcast just annoys me, but I love his character and his feud with Owens will most likely be regarded as his greatest work when he retires, whether the match will be good remains to be seen. That being said, to be able to reinvent himself after being Mr. Diminishing returns is nothing to be sniffed at, match quality, he's lacking behind Barbaro, personality, he just tips it. What do i watch wrestling for? Personality. Jericho by a finger nail.

Back to the personality stuff for a moment. While this has been Jericho's best year as a character in, well, years, it's not like his act didn't get old at times. It was fun to laugh at what he was doing and when the rest of Raw sucks he's obviously going to shine bright, but there were still times where it just wasn't funny and it was instead annoying, and not in a good way.

This is kind of a cruel match-up because Cavernario is a lot of fun and someone I would have voted over a good portion of the WWE roster.  But the whole Owens-Jericho break-up was just one of the better wrestling moments of the year that I probably have to go Jericho

Also, Jericho doesn't routinely do The Worm in his matches, so that's another vote for him.

Jericho, rightly or wrongly, is riding the wave of good feelings off the Festival of Friendship, which was maybe the only good version of "Let's have a big ceremony in the ring until something terrible happens" in the last who knows how many years of WWE wrestling (I feel like Daniel Bryan getting tossed around by HHH was really good but I can't remember what preceded that).  I voted for him because he is on his way to being part of possibly the only match at Wrestlemania I give a shit about at all through sheer force of obnoxious will. I don't think it will carry him especially deep, but it should at least get him out of the first round. 

Bad draw for Cavernario, who is great and fun and a caveman.

This is just a random comment that really shouldn't affect anything (and I believe it occurred in the time period) but I am still blown away at how quickly Jericho adapted to the Neville injury in that match.

I know I said this at the time but I don't how many veterans would instantly be able to improv that DQ after the confusion over the pinfall.

I mean I am still voting Caveman mainly to make up for the guilt I will probably have in voting against Negro Casas