DVDVR Message Board

[1st Rd] ASUKA vs. FRED YEHI

ASUKA vs. FRED YEHI  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Choose One

This poll is closed to new votes

I kind of hate how Asuka works for the most part. I think she gives too much in her matches. The only one from this year where she really worked how I wanted her to for her role was the Liv match. It's really a case where the "we must have great matches!" mentality is actually a detriment to developing a character. That said, fans don't seem to care and she's definitely a draw, far more for the idea of her than the actual execution, so who knows. 

• Like 1

I like Asuka a lot, but with her winning streak fans believe her when she says there's no competition.  She still has lots of fans but nobody believes she'll lose a match.  I'd point out how heatless the women's title match from two days ago, but that by one day is out of the voting period.  That and there's not that much depth to her character.  Maybe a loss at Takeover will help to get things going in that department.

Poor Fred's going to lose badly in this, but I'm starting to really like the guy.  Aside from the clips posted he had a damn great match Friday against Thatcher.  I'm willing to bet next year he fares a lot better in this.  He gets my vote.

2 hours ago, Matt D said:

I kind of hate how Asuka works for the most part. I think she gives too much in her matches. The only one from this year where she really worked how I wanted her to for her role was the Liv match. It's really a case where the "we must have great matches!" mentality is actually a detriment to developing a character. That said, fans don't seem to care and she's definitely a draw, far more for the idea of her than the actual execution, so who knows. 

I do get that, but part of it is that Asuka's not a physical monster like a Brock Lesnar. She can be got to, it's that she's just going to come back from your stuff and hit you with better stuff. Think DB during his run, without as much underdogginess (shut up that is too a word)

5 minutes ago, Cristobal said:

I do get that, but part of it is that Asuka's not a physical monster like a Brock Lesnar. She can be got to, it's that she's just going to come back from your stuff and hit you with better stuff. Think DB during his run, without as much underdogginess (shut up that is too a word)

I think that's valid to a degree. Couple of thoughts:

1.) I actually think it's completely valid when she's in there with Nia, who is a monster, or even Bayley, who is a legitimate babyface Ace. So, yes, part of the problem is the competition she has, but also I think the fact that she decided to give so much to that competition. One match with her that I really did love was the Emma match close to her debut (not in the period) because Emma's control was mostly centered around Dana cheating for her. It's okay for her to give but it should be creative or novel to her opponent somehow.

2.) There are two big differences between Asuka and Bryan. The first is in the relative size of their opponents. Asuka isn't developed like Dana or someone but she's pretty comparable to most of them, I'd say. Bryan was almost always smaller, sometimes hugely so. The second and more important one is presentation. Bryan was presented as a technician with a never-say-die mentality and a streak of explosiveness. Asuka is portrayed as death incarnate. 

I remember being higher on Asuka/Bayley at Takeover Dallas (was that in the voting period?) then most were, but I thought that suffered coming as it did after Zayn/Nak. I thought it was agreed that the rematch was very good, but again suffered because it came after the DIY/Revival match at Brooklyn? The Mickie match in Toronto was as good as that was gonna be, and did a ton to get over Mickie as still legit.

The problem for Asuka has been quality of opponents. After Bayley and Mickie, the quality drops off pretty sharply.

6 minutes ago, Michael Sweetser said:

Bayley had a better and more interesting match with Nia Jax than Asuka did.

Again - not in the time period. (I mean I understand your point but still)

However - somewhat to Mike's statement - I am not as high on the Nia Jax match as others but I also apparently am higher on that 4-way from San Antonio than anyone else

But to answer Dragon's question - both Bayley matches and the Mickie James match I would rank as "great"

I am still voting for Fred Yehi though ( I wish the Arik Royal match from the last NOVA show was ready for folks to watch)

Asuka's problem is more a booking one than anything else. She should be murdering people, but NXT keeps having wrestle from underneath which is stupid considering her gimmick. Honestly its why I never liked any of the matches with Emma. They were solid, but they never really made sense considering the actual build for them. I thought that first match with Bayley was good, but didn't get enough breathing room. The second was better with Asuka getting more of an upper hand. Asuka's best most sensible matches were easily against Nia in Japan and Mickie. Those worked so well because Nia is a monster, and Mickie was a wily, skilled vet who could throw Asuka off mentally. Really though we won't won't see Asuka at her best until they let her turn heel and start wearing the crazy face paints.

32 minutes ago, Eivion said:

The second was better with Asuka getting more of an upper hand. Asuka's best most sensible matches were easily against Nia in Japan and Mickie. Those worked so well because Nia is a monster, and Mickie was a wily, skilled vet who could throw Asuka off mentally.

And not really a surprise that her best stuff since then was when she was caught offguard by Nikki in the four way during the segments with just the two of them.  It's fine that her character development has basically been bored champion who was gotten cocky and lackadaisical against lesser competition - but that sure doesn't do much in favor of good matches or chance in this tournament. 

Yeah, after some review, I have to say Yehi strikes me as a guy who's definitely on his way but isn't nearly there yet.  Even with a somewhat weak last half of the year, Asuka's highs are WAAAAAAY above him.