DVDVR Message Board

FIRE PRO WORLD

Craig H

22 hours ago, steve said:

I'm not trying to persuade you to change your mind, but I don't get the gradients thing. Not even from you specifically, but the whole idea of clinging to them outside of it just being a thing everyone was used to being taken away.

In my experience thus far, you can re-create pretty much any look you could achieve with wacky gradients using layers, and 9 times out of 10 it's a vast improvement.

In interest of full transparency though, I think most of the gradients looked like crap anyway. I felt like we wanted things to look good because we loved Fire Pro, so we kinda squinted and said, "Man, that looks so cool!" when it really kinda didn't.

I'll agree that a lot of people tried to use gradient and it didn't really come out well.  There were a few people who got great results from it.  The guy who did the joshi edits for FPR - DakotaK - used them to great effect.  Honestly, even I'm surprised that I care about gradients.  If you had told me before the game came out that gradients would be removed, I would probably have shrugged.  I think it's just my tipping point.  There are a lot of things I hoped FPW would include that it doesn't (more logic options, being able to chain something other than ground moves in a priority chain, etc.).

Honestly, there are a lot of things i'd prefer to have more than gradients.  There's a thread on the FP Arena boards devoted to moves that were taken out of the games.  I'd prefer to have most of those moves put back over getting gradients in.  I'm a little disappointed in the moves they've added.  Less than 100 doesn't seem like a big deal compared to the number of moves the WWE games add every single year, and so many of the moves are character specific or only really fit certain types of edits.  Double knee gutbuster is nice to have but doesn't do me a lot of good for 90's joshi edits, territorial edits, etc.   I was hoping they'd add in more basic wrestling moves, monkey flips, chin locks, takedown sequences, small packages, airplane spins, etc.

I'm not really disappointed in the game, per se.  I think it's a definite improvement over FPR.  Just not sure it's enough of a leap forward to justify buying a PS4 and starting edit making from scratch.

The potential for mods is amazing.  I have the PC version of the game and a high-end desktop PC, but.... I loathe PC gaming.  I'm really only booting FPW to check out menus and some edits.  No real desire to play on the PC.

Early access means the game is not finished. They will continue to add moves, textures, and features in the future. I believe they specifically talked about increasing priority attack options if not adding more chains/options. 

People are going through the old games from SNES and making a list of moves that are not present in World. Who knows what happens with that. 

Have you thought about getting a steam link so you can play pc games on your TV? Much cheaper than a PS4. Of course, if your tv is close enough, a simple HDMI works wonders. 

It's far from perfect but they're clearly working on a shoestring budget. I used to dream about being able to upload and download edits and now we have that. I'm thankful for this but I can understand that not being enough for others. 

As for DakotaK, it's my understanding that he or she never actually shared his or her edits from Returns and just showed them off. Now it's happening again but with the excuse of not having gradients. If they're made for your own personal use, that's cool but then don't flaunt them for others to see and then pretend like you're wrestling with the idea of whether to share them or not. This isn't some life changing thing. Maybe I'm being a dick but I feel like that is awfully ostentatious. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

As for DakotaK, it's my understanding that he or she never actually shared his or her edits from Returns and just showed them off. Now it's happening again but with the excuse of not having gradients. If they're made for your own personal use, that's cool but then don't flaunt them for others to see and then pretend like you're wrestling with the idea of whether to share them or not. This isn't some life changing thing. Maybe I'm being a dick but I feel like that is awfully ostentatious. 

Pretty much agree about Dakota.  Never really got the point of posting a lot of stuff when he had no intention to share.  He did release an edit pack once, but it was only available for a couple days.  And you had to email him and correctly answer a trivia question or somesuch.  Yeah, a lot of nonsense. Still, his appearances were rather good.

I'm not going to make a decision about the game until the final version is available for PS4.  I agree FPW is probably enough for the community.  I think I'm probably being a grumpy old man trying to talk myself out of spending money.  I kinda see myself spending a decent bit of money to play it, then never playing.  I enjoy making my own edits more than playing and I don't churn out edits lightning quick.  4 edits in a month would be an insanely high output from me.  1 or 2 a month is usually more realistic.  The prospect of starting from scratch is a little daunting.

I'm finding DJKM's templates to be super helpful. He's got 5% for pins across the board regardless of damage, which I don't like, but they are a great starting point and have cut down on time tremendously. 

Good God, making people email you trivia answers to get your packs is the lamest thing I've heard in a while. What a knob.

• Like 2

If that Dakota dude is being a douchenozzle like that then might as well report him.  Even if he doesn't fit the usual reasons for reporting for that place I'm sure the admins would find that reason enough to take notice.

17 hours ago, Oyaji said:

And obviously higher H numbers indicate more shine. 

We knew it was coming from spike but with mods it's already possible! 

6h5EoCA_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

He also modded the clock in the bottom right. So cool you can have more than one apron pic and you can cover most if not all of the canvas too. That means ads in the corner like with NJPW's current mat is possible. It's becoming very quickly evident that the community of modders are going to make an all time great game/series even better. 

HOLY SHIT! That looks fucking amazing.

Bummer news about that: you can only do that with one ring with the current set-up. They replaced the texture for the ring and I guess there's only one file. However, that's the kind of stuff we should be getting when Spike adds PNG support. 

Oh,  we got a new patch! They added in the Sliding D too. Nice! Sounds like they'll be releasing a hot fix because the latest patch allows us to see unselectable moves in edit mode or something. If you're like me and using the blood mod, you have to update it (in other words, re-install the updated .dll).

Maaaan, so we've got a ring editor which allows you to get 100% accurate colours using a RGB picker or photoshop/GIMP. That also means no 0/0/0 black rings! Just did a Bad Luck Fale vs. my own big heavyweight street fighter in an accurate enough looking 205 Live ring lol. We've got a great blood mod. Carlizilla's mod suite also includes the unreleased arenas (SPIKE DOME! Nise Arena Mexico!). I played a tremendous Ishii (had to try out the new move) vs. Cesaro landmine deathmatch with no lumberjack rule so you can brawl on the barbed-wire landmine boards. SO FUN. And this is the first month of release. Tremendous.

I spent forever last night just creating rings for all the promotions in my save so far, including different variations like the old ROH mats and the AJPW half red/half blue mat from the late '80s. Can't wait until they get the logo editor going so we can have 100% accurate rings. I needs my WCW target logo for Saturday Night!

Sweet, sweet sliding D looks great. :D

• Like 1

I imagine the RGB picker is done using a mod, and I'd love to see that but their board crashed.  But that more than anything will be what I use first.  I could wait for the unreleased arenas as I'm sure it's a matter of time on them.  But knowing these mods exist among everything else it's a wonderful time to be a FirePro fan.

FPW_battle_royal.jpg

Left to right: Captain Planet, Friedrich Nietzsche, Krang, PURPLE AKI, Grimace, Judge Dredd, Conan, and Bonk. Referee: Wendy Thomas

I cannot believe somebody made fucking PURPLE AKI of all the possibilities. Made my day. Bonk's eyes creep me out.

What is best in life: To crush your enemies in Fire Pro, see them driven before you, and to hear da lamenDAYtion of deir women.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Bonk looks weird, but I do love the fact some one made him, but the rest look awesome.

Also a kind soul made a Tobita, not sure about the acuracie though. I have seen plenty of his stuff but the sickle usage bugs me as I don't remember him using one. Might have been when he was either Doku Gasmask VX, The Fly or a other of his gimmicks.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1101072065

• Like 1

So I started a League using the CMLL and Lucha Undergroud guys and simmed the first matches of each bracket.  Matanza and Penta had a fun 15 min match where Penta got some early armwork before Matanza mauled him for about 5 straight minutes.  Then they traded bombs for a bit (including Matanza German suplexing Penta over the ringpost and later Peta package piledriving Matanza on a chair) for a bit and then Penta took control before finishing Matanza off with a Triangle lancer.  Block B was Atlantis and Negro Casas, who had an 18 minute match where Atlantis countered most of Cassas' strikes and worked him over for the Atlantida, but Cassas got a run of cheap shots in and a Casita to seal the win.

So yeah, this game is awesome.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

When I bought I PlayStation way back, way fucking back, I only had enough for the PlayStation and one game.

That one game was Power Move Pro Wrestling.

When I first got an NES, my first game was Pro Wrestling. So I had a habit of making sure my first game was a wrestling game.

• Like 1

I've been spending most of my Fire Pro time lately making made up guys from my own past imagination. It's weirdly cathartic watching them fight each other in this game. Really hoping we can get the custom ring stuff sooner rather than later to truly make it a mind trip.

Is it just me or are some of the corner moves still busted for the AI? I've never seen the CPU try a corner-to-center move (and I'm not even sure exactly how to do them myself). And I also did a custom guy that has an "opponent on ground, running to corner" move as a finisher but he just runs straight into the turnbuckle when under AI control. It's really funny because he's actually supposed to be a jobber and I use him to test out other characters on, so it fits his gimmick perfectly, but it's not actually intentional.