DVDVR Message Board

FIRE PRO WORLD

Craig H

Speaking of stars, customers on Amazon Japan are not happy. Lots of 1 star ratings and complaints of bugs. Director participated in an interview that just came out today and it sounds rather grim. Hopefully it's just the bad google translations but it doesn't look good. I think the sales numbers he references are purely still talking about pc but there's a lot of talk about this being the end. If having the NJPW roster in the game on ps4 doesn't help domestic sales, nothing will. I hope this is a momentary hiccup though. 

From Maikeru at Critical Club:

The first set of negative reviews were focused on the price tag, as has been the case in general. Basically that there's not much content to justify the 50 dollar price tag.  And that it's silly to go, "oh, they'll fix (so and so) later."  An example being the shoddy selection of entrance themes and how the answer given is "just wait a month."

Post-launch, it's been focused on the number of freezes/crashes and other bugs that have cropped up post-release. Basically, "How can you release a game in this state?!" Which is also fair, I suppose. I've seen the game crash a few times on PS4 and there are still some issues that need to be fixed. It's kinda laggy when there's 8 wrestlers on screen, and in general a lot of the little hitches that have persisted since the PC version are still there. There's also been an issue where game saves are corrupting.

I can absolutely see this sinking the game completely, tbh. As it is, it only sold about as well as Firepro Returns did in its first week IIRC; I saw a first week sales figure of 20k or so, the 2nd highest selling new game behind the Yakuza 3 remaster. Though I guess that's not all bad, video game sales have contracted in general in Japan due to console gaming just not being as popular as it once was. The games and consoles are more expensive, and people like mobile gaming more there these days.

Still, if this persists, the game has no future.  I don't think Spike Chunsoft is as passionate as, say, Hello Games was with No Man's Sky, not to make a direct comparison between the two or anything.

And on the team that initially helped with the pc version fucking them over with dodgy code:

Basically, the Early Access development team that was outsourced by Spike was sacked shortly after the announcement of the NJPW collab. The updates to the game over those first 6 months or so actually managed to make the game less stable. I think the breaking point was when they released 2 or 3 patches in a short time span trying to fix optimization issues on PC, only for it to break something else in the process.

Fuuuuuuuu

More details here in the Critical Club thread. 

That reads like a hilariously uneducated take on the future of the game. I especially love the comparison to No Man's Sky and Hello Games followed by saying "not to make a direct comparison between the two or anything."

The game has a shitload of clawholds, they just aren't the finisher of anyone in New Japan.

There are standing, ground, pinning, slam, and dick variations at the least.  I may be forgetting some.  I think a stomach claw too maybe. 

Any version of this game I've had always starts the same way. I get it and then spend days, maybe weeks, getting promotions set up, CAWS made, rings designed, making my "world" exactly how I want it before I actually start running matches.